+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurance on evaporator in outbuildings?

It's easy to be good to your insured if you are very selective on who you insure. When I bought this old farm, my state farm agent who insured my last house told me they would not insure this one. I changed companies and ended up getting a better rate on my vehicles too. ahowes, I think it is time to find a new insurance company, I'll bet they won't be as loyal to you as you are to them.

Nick
    3x12 Grimm
    2200 on vacuum
    woodmizer LT40HD25
    6 little sap haulers
    Facebook

I have called a couple and found out that an old hunting/political buddy is now selling for an independent locally. We're playing phone tag right now, but maybe he can do me some good once we hook up. Thanks for the great tips.

Quote Originally Posted by ahowes View Post
    Maybe it is a difference in agents or regional reps. We've had complete replacement of all our belongings in 1991, replacement of a 45x65 barn due to a tornado, and more recently (2006) tens of thousands in replacement on hail-damaged vehicles and roofs.
    I will call Farm Bureau, however. Around here, they are the ones with the stingy reputation.
    Thanks...

That was 20 years ago and things have changed a lot in 20 years. Trust me, I have worked as an insurance claims adjustor for 14 years.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

It looks like Farm Bureau will insure it, I'm waiting on rates now. I hope to wrap it up within days so that I can lay the blocks after this cold snap. Thanks for all of the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by georgie View Post
    Maybe a dumb old INDEPENDENT agent from Northern New York can shed some light. First insurance is state to state. Having said that State Farm agents here are a one company agent. Therefore they can only offer there product. I represent 6 companies for property insurance and 5 will write sugar houses and wood fired evaporators. The rate is around $4.50 per thousand per year. btw In this area State Farm has been good to their insured's.
    Funny that this thread caught my eye today. Last week I went to my State Farm agent and had them come out to my house to see my sugarshack. He took pictures of the interior & exterior of the building along with the evaporator AND the stack. He said he could insure the entire thing. He simply raised my 'dwelling' rate a few thousand more to cover the building and contents (personal property). He give me all of the insurance terms but unfortunately I don't remember them. Basically he's a guy who's been in the business for 35 years and knows the proper way to insure what I need and not something that's excessive... but definitely didn't tell me he couldn't insure the building or the evaporator.

I'll see if I can get the correct info for you. I have to stop in next week again to sign some papers. Then again, I'm also in NY so I'm not sure that's going to help in your situation.
    Leader WSE 2x6 w/hoods
    12"x20" Mason Finisher
    250 taps.. Majority on tubing
    14'x20' sugarshack
    Kubota RTV900XT
    Home built Auto Drawoff
    Leader MicRO 2 RO
    www.mallardpondmaple.com

I'm in Indiana, and the only cooking they are used to is meth cooking, and that usually ends up bad. They didn't know how maple syrup is made until I told them. I imagine the difference is because your agents/underwriters know what is going on.

I would imagine the rates for a sugar shack would be less than the one's for a meth shack, but I'm not an agent. Just explain that the syrup is only cooked for about a month out of the year, where as the meth is a year round thing.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

We recently had to switch, and chose Farm Bureau. We called our insurance (Missouri Mutual) agent to get insurance on a barn I'm building. They asked what it would be used for. We said goats. They asked what kind. We said dairy goats. The next day we got a certified letter saying that we had 30 days to find other insurance. They dropped us, house and everything, no questions asked. And we've never made a claim. When we pinned our agent down over the matter, she said it was due to the possibility of getting sued over the milk.

We specifically asked the FB rep about raw milk dairy sales, he said it was all OK. Not to mention, we got a LOT more coverage for just a little more money.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

I am going to have about 30 gallons to sell and if I have a great year and the time to boil it the high end would be 45 or so. I called my insurance agent told her what I was doing and the quantities involved and she adding a rider to my policy under future business pursuits she did not have a firm rate for me today but said it would be less then $100.00 based on the quantity that I be selling.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

Just found this old thread and figured I'd reply so that people have another option. I have nationwide insurance on everything and my sugar camp is fully insured structure and all contents, they came out took pictures and made a list of everything with values. I have 18.5 acres with a house and 30x40 building for my camp and I pay $1,000/ yr and it includes $1,000,000 worth of liabilty insurance.
    2nd generation maple producer
    2,000 gravity taps for 2012-2013
    1,500 gravity taps for 2011
    1,000 gravity taps for 2010
    3X10 darveau evaporator w/drop flu pan steam away hoods wood fired custom brick arch.
    G.H Grimm Filter Press
    Lapierre 600 GPH RO
    2008 Chevy 1 Ton Duramax w/425gl tank sap hauler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12