+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3/16" or 5/16" Laterals on Vacuum

Default 3/16" or 5/16" Laterals on Vacuum

I'm aiming to pick up about 14-16 taps past the end of my current mainline on vacuum. I'm going to extend my mainline about 80-90' to the opposite side of a property to get to the new trees that all dog leg right up a hill from there. All the trees are in a straight line. From top tree to bottom tree is probably 60-80'

Is it better to run 3 separate 5/16" laterals that will run on the same path - where the first lateral gets the first 4-5 taps (20'), the next lateral goes further and picks up the next 4-5 taps (40'-60'), and the last lateral runs the furthest to get the last 4-5 taps (60-80')?

Or should I run a single 3/16" lateral that can pick them all up in one go. The bottom tap will be right at the mainline, so there's little gain from natural vac, but the advantage is it's one line, one saddle, and the tap limit for 3/16" is higher, right? I have laterals like this on other property lines that I set up when the lines were natural vac only. Now that they are upgraded to mechanical vac, they seem to continue to do well.

If the parallel 5/16" laterals is the way to go, I'd like to set the new ones up correctly the first time and eventually upgrade the existing 3/16" lines when their time comes.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I'd probably do a single 3/16 run. However if you don't have the 3/16 tooling, fittings, lines and have all or some of that in 5/16 that might be a big factor.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

If you are already on vacuum I would run the 5/16. We have plenty of 3/16 out and it works great but it can also be finicky with chips or bacteria after the first year.
    CDL 2.5*8 Venturi with all the bells
    Leader Clear 5 bank filter press
    Memprotec 350H RO
    600ish taps and looking for more.

+ Reply to Thread