+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bulk price

Called bascoms this morning. Golden delicate and amber 2.10 lb,dark robust 2.00 lb,very dark 1.75 lb
    345 taps
    30" x 10' Leader Revolution Max combo, Home made arch AOF

When you sell bulk like that, what size or how small of a container will they buy?
    1986-2002 2x6 Leader evaporator 150 taps drop tubes
    Life happens
    2015 130 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2016 225 taps drop tubes and sap sacs
    2017 300+? MicRO single membrane
    2019 325 taps 81 gallons made, most ever for us
    2020 2x6 Smoky Lake evaporator 400 taps with 160 on a guzzler pump
    2021..... a lot more line and vacuum

Bascoms’s will take any size down to the 5 gallon blue jugs. They pay 5 cents per pound less if in 5 gallon jugs.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

It appears that the bulk price hasn't changed since I was at Bascom's in January. What happens in April when Canada sets the price is anybody's guess. If Quebec has a bad season they could go up but don't count on it.

I would have liked to add to the hijack of this thread but won't.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Ya my plan is not to sell any in bulk. I sold 20 gallons last year. 10 gals that I thought had an off flavor and 10 gals of black burned crap. But I like to keep the bulk price in the back of my mind when I'm giving people deals on larger amounts of syrup. Like today I sold an old guy 10 gals in qts. While I gave him a good discount over my normal price I still did way way better then bulk.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Bulk Prices will not go up anytime soon. 10 years ago I was the only producer in the area now there are 5 "producers" within 10 miles of me. It is a trend and the guys with big overhead will have to be squeezed out when times are tough to re-balance the market. Luckily I retail all of my syrup to my local loyals and only bulk my pan scraps (around 20 gallons). It was nice to get $3.20 back in the day for nasty syrup but those days are gone.
    Chris
    18 X 20 sugar shack
    1300 taps all on vac.
    2 by 8 Lapierre all stanless evaporator
    Steam Hood
    Lapierre 250 Turbo R.O.
    Polaris Ranger
    30 years experience

No offense but what's up wth the quotations on producers???
    2008 700 ranger xp sap hauler/45 hp 4x4 tractor/028 super stihl
    2x4 mason hobby/blower/new for 2014 smoky lake hybrid pan
    2014 300ish buckets and still need bigger evaporator/14 x 20 square log shack
    2015 2x6 drop flue phaneuf approx. 325 buckets, 1 year older, not sure about the smarter part ?
    gets expensive in a hurry!!

Bowtie, those aspects all play a part in bulk prices. Likely the reason Bascom's is quoted is because he is one of the largest in the north east.
    The bulk price has a lot more to do with the exchange rate between the US and Canada than it does with the new producers in thew business, maybe with a couple of exceptions. There are 2 either new players or ones who have made a huge expansion recently.
    The main fact is that Quebec, who makes 70% or more of the world syrup supply sets their price and then the exchange rate brings that price way down for us in the States. As of today a dollar Canadian is only $.75 US, thus the price in Canada is down to only 75% of that in the U.S. Yes they need to pay freight and duties but that 75% ratio figures in big. If you travel to Canada that rate helps in your mind but in reality most things in Canada will cost about 33% more give or take.
    bowtie, if you want to know the price of bulk don't you want to also know where that price is? Not all bulk buyers pay the same, some may be higher and others may be lower, but they will be close, at least until any buyer has all they want at that time, then they will either buy none or they will pay less per pound.
    By the way, syrup consumption has risen at a 7% rate every year for the last several years world wide, and only the US and Canada make maple syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'll tell you why I'd put quote marks around "Producers" I've got 2 local to me. That have made quite a name for themselves at farmers markets. And if they make a 1/10th of the syrup they sell I'd be surprised. Guess since its my thread I can hijack right?
    I remember getting paid real money for buddy syrup when I first started. And 3.50 a lb for decent stuff.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

Bascoms has raised their prices to $2.10 a pound a couple of weeks ago. Word around Vermont is that production will be impacted greatly by the weather this year. A few of the packers have been out in the field recruiting new producers to help make up their shortfall. I feel that syrup prices may still go up in the not too distant future. Don't be afraid to sit on your syrup for a little while.
    2 1/2 x8 Lapierre Waterloo-Small (oil fired)
    Leader Steamaway
    1200 gph Lapierre RO
    1800 taps
    http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/j...ks/Sugarhouse/

Mike Christian
    505 Main St. Orwell, Vt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast