+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking what VT sugar makers are doing

Quote Originally Posted by tcross View Post
    found a down main line this weekend AFTER the 2' snow fall! had to dig through 30" of snow for 100-150 yards to get it back up and tied up. no clue what took it down. my wire was broke right next to the tightener. perhaps the wind blew the end trees apart at just he right time?? either way, that sure was a good work out and a 3 hours of my time i wasn't ready to waste!
    Cross, we got about a foot here in Middlesex and I had to make my way over to Huntington to visit a friend to get a foot for my sugarhouse. They got closer to the 18-2 foot mark and the ice build up in the middle of the transition from rain to snow weighed his 3/16 down pretty good. Not sure if the weight might have bothered yours enough to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

yeah, it was similar up here. we got 5-6" of wet snow/rain for a little bit then it froze up hard and had a good 16-18" of powder on top of it... what a PITA!~ All good now though!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

With the drizzle and sleet we got today plus the -15 or lower forecasted for this weekend should stiffen things up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mead Maple "It's for the kids..."
    Paul Cerminara
    2019 - First season ever
    -Goal: 3 gallons
    -Season Total: 7.5 gallons - pulled taps after running out of firewood and time
    Built 2'x8' Oil Fired with Thor drop flue pans
    -Goal: 20 gallons
    -Season Total: 55 gallons

Well I believe we have made it finally in our new sugarbush to the point where this next week we will be charging the battery’s and drilling the first holes in these new trees. These have never been tapped before trees and we are getting excited to see the outcome after this season and what this will bring to our operation. We have right around 1000 that we will put in this year there and plan to add another 1000 every year for next 2-3 years. Estimated total of 4000 taps for this sugarbush.
    Hope the sugar gods bring us all lots of sap. Best of luck everyone I believe Saturday is going to start the ball rolling if the weather stays as they say.
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

That's what I was thinking!! If the forecast stays as they have it should see a first run next week. Unless you count December!! Coming into the last week of February so I'd have to say it's certainly time, I'll be charging batteries as well!!

We haven't been losing the freezing nights with the warm spells, which hasn't been the case for a couple years. Last year the 40-50degree days were followed by 35 degree nights!! Here In the southern Champlain valley anyways!
    18x30 sugarshack
    5100 taps high vac
    3x10 inferno with steampan
    7'' wes fab filter press
    10'' cdl air filter press
    D&G 3 post reverse osmosis w/recirculation

Done tapping here. Looks like we may get some sap this weekend and next week so it's time to put the sugarhouse back together and get ready to make some syrup.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Started tapping today. Have lots of help and should finish up my existing system by Sunday. then will button up my new system and hopefully be tapped by Wednesday.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

Northeast section of Northwest kingdom Vermont

Default SAP run?

So here in Northern Vermont close to the border with Canada and I'm thinking I need to tap this weekend. 4 days of 40 degree weather? Is it going to begin? What do y'all think? Will I be making syrup this week?

I’m on the border also. I plan to turn on the vacuum pump tomorrow morning. May see some sap later in the day and then better flow on Monday.

Spud

Northeast section of Northwest kingdom Vermont

I'm on buckets, and only max 40 expected this year. So I might wait this first run out...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 260 of 372 FirstFirst ... 160210240250251252253254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270280310360 ... LastLast