PDA

View Full Version : Are there many maples in central Indiana?

heus
01-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Just curious. The reason I ask is that several times a year we travel from NE Ohio to the Indianapolis (Noblesville) area. I always look for maple along the highway, but all I ever see are oaks, hickories, sycamores, beech, and ash.

The Birdman
01-18-2010, 10:43 AM
They are alot of maple trees in Indiana at least where I'm at there are. Their around that area when you have time take a cruze through the rural area. Maple trees are common in alot of southren states. They don't have the right temp to produce enough sap.

warren yoder
03-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Just curious. The reason I ask is that several times a year we travel from NE Ohio to the Indianapolis (Noblesville) area. I always look for maple along the highway, but all I ever see are oaks, hickories, sycamores, beech, and ash.

We live about 20 miles NW of Noblesville...lots of sugar maples out here. The old-timers say sugaring was huge back in the day. I tap the nine in our yard and my neighbor's four. I just finished 2 gallons yesterday. Have about about 60 gallons collected from the last two days. Looks as though I will get run over this next week...but am off F/S/S and two week off beginning next Wednesday!

So, just saying....