PDA

View Full Version : New all around

TRACY F
03-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I've found this site to be very informative so far in my crash course of sugaring. I've tapped a mix of reds and sugars. I've collected about 20 gallons of sap so far and boiled sap this past weekend and I'm hooked. I built a ragged looking arch out of stuff that I had and ended up with a small amount of thicker syrup that tasted great. The kids and I built the arch and kept it fired with wood all day, lot of fun. Thanks for your posts and questions for me to see and learn from.

Tracy

Stickey
03-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Ya I second that emotion, Thank you every one!!

ericjeeper
03-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the forum for maple addicts. I am not to far from you and there are a few other hoosiers just a bit to my northwest,.I am near Martinsville.

TRACY F
03-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Yes, you're not far at all from me. This is an addicting activity. I can't wait for next year after more preparation during the off season. I hope to get enough sap in the next few days to make one last small batch for this year.

ericjeeper
03-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Our season has only just began.

Bemis
03-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Our season has only just began.

You think we'll be getting some budding after this coming warm spell?

ericjeeper
03-03-2009, 01:22 PM
It is still pretty early, even for central Indiana. My neighbor never taps before the middle of Feb. Whereas I tap the first warm day anywhere close to Feb 1st

TRACY F
03-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Sorry Eric, I didn't mean to imply that the season was over. My time is coming to a close because of busy weekends and all. I will definitely keep tabs on trees for budding so I can have a better idea of when to start/stop next year. This way I can plan on dedicating more time to this addicting hobby. Good luck to all!

Tracy

ericjeeper
03-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Tracy I think it now is pretty close to being over.. These summer temps have my rhubarb growing and lillys and tulips up around the house.
Honestly this year we just never had a good run, where it ran hard for several days in a row. Maybe this next weekend will bring on the cold snap that will make them run again.

TRACY F
03-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes, the summer temps have stopped most sap that I had. I cleaned out my jugs and put them back out for one last go with these colder temps. Now I will just have to monitor the budding out and the quality of the sap. If I don't get anymore, it will have been extremely fun and enjoyable for a couple of gallons of syrup. Can't wait until next year!