PDA

View Full Version : Tapping today in southern Indiana

HAHA I 1
01-21-2009, 07:02 AM
Looking to have 2 good running days, then a few days "off" before it runs again. Probably put out 15 taps today and another 20 over the weekend. We are not quite ready, but close enough.

Sugarmaker
01-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Some one had to start!
Very nice!
Theron, You going to let them do that?

:) Chris

TapME
01-21-2009, 08:07 PM
haha; how far south in Indy are you?

the old guy
01-25-2009, 05:09 AM
Tapped 205 On Jan 21 - 22 - Got About 200 Gallons Of Sap Before It Froze Up Again. Weatherman Says Snow, Ice, Rain Coming Next Week--yuk.

The Old Guy

HAHA I 1
01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
I am about 2 hrs south of Indy - kinda near Louisville.

We only had 15 taps out while it was running and gathered about 20 gallons of sap. It only ran for a very short time. We put out another 15 taps and plan to have around 40-45 (as soon as my order from Mapleguys comes in!!). Had fresh syrup on the pancakes this morning, and I have to tell you that its the best I have ever had!

ahowes
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi
My first year and my first post here...
Had 10 taps going and have made 1/2 gal of syrup. Excellent stuff. Moved out of the kitchen, built a concrete block evap and am ready for the good weather they're predicting the next few days. I added 6 more taps tonight and hope to do a few more tomorrow.
Using elderberry and milk jugs.

I didn't find this site until this week, so I was not prepared. I didn't know if this stuff would work, and didn't want to put too much effort into prep if it didn't.

Old Guy - you say 10 miles SW of Jasper - which area is that? I grew up in Petersburg and live near Princeton now.

the old guy
02-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Ahowes
I Live In Pike County. I Worked For My Uncle At Petersburg (dutchtown Communiy In White River Bottoms Near The Gil Hodges Bridge). I Sat On The Pike Co. School Board For 12 Years From 1980 Till 1992. All My Kids Went To School At Pc. My Youngest Daughter Graduated In 1998. I Tap Most Of My Trees Near Stendal, But Put Out 90 Some Taps Near Otwell On The Denny Wiseman Farm.
Where Are You From?

The Old Guy

ahowes
02-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I grew up on Twin Oaks Road and hunted/fished all of the area you mention - From IP&L upstream to Guy Hatt and the strip hills behind Clinard's. I've been out of Pike County since 1985, moved to Gibson County. I live northeast of Princeton near Wheeling. I'm tapping on my own small farm, but the neighbor has about 7 or 8 acres across the road from me that has tons of maples. He wants me to do them next year.
I cannot think who you are, but I probably know you. I graduated in 79 and played basketball at PC. I also know the Weismans and hunted that area also.

ahowes
02-26-2010, 09:39 PM
I know there was a Frederick that lived out behind Brock's station maybe you're HIS nephew? T Frederick was on the school board after I went to college. Just guessing...........

the old guy
02-27-2010, 06:57 AM
No Ahowes My Given Name Is Leo Oxley. I Sat On The Board With Tony--great Guy. Tony Live N Meadowbrook. I'll Bet That You Are Arnie Howes, Basketball Legend At Pc-- Used To Spend Some Time At The Fish And Wildlife At Sugar Ridge. John Wade Is My Partner In Crime With The Maple Syrup. Come Over Some Time. My Operation Is Near Hwy 64 About 5 Miles East Of Arthur Junction.

The Old Guy

ahowes
02-27-2010, 07:35 AM
I will do that! I have not seen John Wade in 25 years. He probably got you in to this, didn't he?
When is a good time to stop by? As good as the sap is running right now, probably any time...

the old guy
02-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Actually I Took Him In. I Started Doing This About 10 0r 12 Years Ago As A Response To A Field Trip My Grandson Had Taken To Wesselman Woods. John's Wife An My Wife Teach In The Same School At Winslow So John And I Get Together Often, Use Each Other's Stuff, (i Am A Retired School Teacher From Southrige) And When John Retired From The Dnr I Asked Him To Come Over And Help Me Make Maple Syrup. Well We Both Were In The Dark And Decided If We Were Going To Do This Right We Needed To See How The Experts Did It. I Ordered A Good Used Maple Syrup Evaporator, John Ordered Each Of Us The Ohio State Maple Syrup Producer's Manual And We Read A Lot, Observed A Lot, Then Really Began In Earnest To Make Maple Syrup. Through This Trader I Corresponded With A Really Nice Guy From Buxton Maine (royal Maple) And He Walked Me Through The Process And I Shared With John. John Ordered The Technical Tools And The Rest Is Pretty Well History. We Both Caught On Quickly And A Couple Years Ago Bob Dodd A Federal Wildlife Biologist With The Potoka River Refuge Along Wih My Brother Joined Us. By The Way You Can Read About Us In This Week's Press Dispatch Although Andy Heuring Kind Of Makes Up A Few Facts To Suit His Story. If You Google, My Address Is 7789 East County Road 900 South, Stendal Indiana 47585. Drop By Some Time, It Kind Of Looks Like Next Week We Will Be Busy Busy With The Sap And The Syrup. My Phone #cell 489-1231, John's 354-9242
The Old Guy

ahowes
02-28-2010, 07:29 AM
I will call soon - I'm anxious to come over, but right now I am having a hard time keeping up with the sap. I wasn't prepared for the volume. I will be rigging some more capacity up somehow today.
Your number is in my cell phone now............
Thanks

ahowes
03-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Old Guy, thanks for the tour, the tips, and the filters the other day. You have a nice setup. It was good to see everybody again.
I ran out of time due to business trips and I couldn't keep up, so I called it off for the year. My concrete block setup and tiny pan made my efficiency very poor, but I got a year's worth for my family.
I will be ready for it next year. All in all, it was a fun time.