PDA

View Full Version : Tapping 2020

TonyL
01-12-2020, 02:03 PM
We put our taps out today, around 85 on 3/16 tubing. The forecast doesn't look as good as it did a couple days ago, but we've had good luck getting out early so we went ahead anyway. Ready for colder weather, good luck to my fellow Hoosiers!

Mitchell tapper.
01-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Hey Tony, have you collected much sap?

TonyL
01-16-2020, 06:25 AM
Not yet, it's trying to run which surprised me given these warm temps. It needs to cool off.

TonyL
01-19-2020, 06:30 PM
First boil of the season, collected approx 100 gallons on Friday, ran it through the RO at low pressure to reduce it down to 50 gallons. We have some new equipment this year so this small run was just the ticket to try it out. A couple of glitches to correct, but very pleased.

Andrew Franklin
01-27-2020, 10:47 PM
Very little posting here...has anyone had as much trouble as I did logging in?

Set 65 taps on a beautiful day Sunday. Sap was running hard. Unfortunately, the storage tote has some fungus and bugs in the bottom and the water is off so I will have to dump (unless you all think a very low micron filter can take that out - I know my prefilter will get the bugs, but will a good filter in my ro get a little green mold as well? Not much, just a little in the bottom of the 250 gallon tote where it is recessed.). Thinking Thursday if I need to dump the tank, and then looks like a great 4 or 5 day run and then hopefully we get cold again!

Andrew Franklin
01-30-2020, 12:08 AM
Anybody out here with thoughts on what to expect? Heading down to my sugar bush tomorrow to either make sugar for my wife's maple sugar hand scrub, or maybe keep it for syrup. Regardless I will separate it from what I collect going forward just in case the junk in the tanks fouls it up. But, the next 4 days after tomorrow look great...guess I'll be spending Sunday night and Monday boiling instead of watching the super bowl and working...fine by me. Then it looks like a much needed cold snap.

Mitchell tapper.
01-30-2020, 01:00 AM
It’s been running good here. Getting a little better than a gal per tap on the days it hits in the high 30s. Twice that if it gets into the 40s and runs all night. All new tubing and a new diaphragm pump this year. Scott

Ross
01-30-2020, 05:09 AM
We are going to tap on Saturday. Supposed to get cold again late next week up here but we should have a few good days.

Andrew Franklin
01-30-2020, 06:10 PM
I had about 85 gallons waiting for me this afternoon. I put 60 in buckets in the shed and brought 5 gallons home to boil and see if it is useable or not. Got my 2 big food totes cleaned out and hoping it runs well tomorrow and Saturday...I'll probably spend Sunday and Monday down there boiling and putting in some more taps.

DougM
01-31-2020, 09:52 AM
We put in 33 on Wednesday and they were running pretty well. We're hoping to finish up with that location on Saturday, we should have around 80 taps there when it's done. That only leaves 170 more to do on the vacuum and 20 or so bags. Seems like we're a little behind, but if it gets cold for a few days maybe not.

Ross
02-01-2020, 04:22 PM
We put in 72 taps today and will be around 100 after tomorrow. Some of the trees were gushing and others weren"t running at all but it's exciting to be back at it!

DougM
02-03-2020, 07:26 AM
We finished up our offsite woods yesterday, 112 taps total. Everything we tapped was running like crazy. Most of that is on east-facing slopes. I'll be glad to get back to our flat property, we'll get in around 175 more there.
We had 270 gallons at the end of the day yesterday, but that includes sap from 33 we put in on Wednesday.

Except for tonight our forecast is really good through Sunday.

Ross
02-03-2020, 09:51 AM
Collected 10 gallons off of 31 taps this morning. We'll collect the rest after work today. Sap is running nice.

TonyL
02-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Just shy of 500 gallons of sap processed so far. These warm temps and a full time job mean I will likely be dumping some sap over the next 24 hours or so.

Logan Cabin
02-03-2020, 01:12 PM
Just shy of 500 gallons of sap processed so far. These warm temps and a full time job mean I will likely be dumping some sap over the next 24 hours or so.

Hmm, would you be up for dumping sap into my transfer tank? Just getting ready to set 100+ taps here in Bloomington. What few taps I had out last week got almost nothing. Most of the trees I tap are right in town and I’ve found its enough of a heat island that folks in the country will have a run when I’m getting nothing.

Can be reached at 812-325-seven six three seven. Thanks! Mike Bell

Ross
02-03-2020, 08:37 PM
Finished collecting tonight. We've have a total of 110 gallons on 93 taps since starting Saturday morning.

Mitchell tapper.
02-04-2020, 05:09 AM
Approximately 335 gals over the last 12 days off 27 taps.

TonyL
02-04-2020, 06:24 AM
Hmm, would you be up for dumping sap into my transfer tank? Just getting ready to set 100+ taps here in Bloomington. What few taps I had out last week got almost nothing. Most of the trees I tap are right in town and I’ve found its enough of a heat island that folks in the country will have a run when I’m getting nothing.

Sorry Mike, I didn't see this in time. I would've been glad to give you our sap. Will keep you in mind if the situation occurs again.

Logan Cabin
02-05-2020, 05:31 PM
Sorry Mike, I didn't see this in time. I would've been glad to give you our sap. Will keep you in mind if the situation occurs again.

I figured it was a long shot! Appreciate the thought. I tap at a historic site here in town, and it’s nice to have a backup sap source. We do syrup workshops and demo boils during the site’s Open Days. Hope we can get a run going this weekend.

TonyL
02-05-2020, 09:19 PM
I figured it was a long shot! Appreciate the thought. I tap at a historic site here in town, and it’s nice to have a backup sap source. We do syrup workshops and demo boils during the site’s Open Days. Hope we can get a run going this weekend.

Wouldn't happen to be on 10th street, would it?

Andrew Franklin
02-05-2020, 11:25 PM
Approximately 335 gals over the last 12 days off 27 taps.
Holy cow...that's fantastic. I never get anything close to that...lucky to get 150 gallons from 100 taps in that time. Granted, I constantly battle leaks from deer and squirrels in my basically forest conditions, and my trees are mostly over 100' tall and take a while to really get going. Nonetheless, great haul!

Andrew Franklin
02-05-2020, 11:35 PM

Mike, any interest in teaming up? I've got 12 acres of mostly maple forest on the north shore of Lake Lemon and only have tapped maybe 1/10th of my maples (100 taps). Have a 2x4 mason evaporator on site and an 8 cartridge homemade r/o and homemade lunchbox vacuum and 2 250 gal storage totes...and I haven't even had the time to break out the evaporator...I'm just r/o'ing and boiling on a turkey fryer at home and dumping what I can't get to because my work schedule combined with my son's high school bball games limits my time down there. I'm in Carmel. With a team approach (if not this year, maybe next) we could hit over 500 taps and have some big production (enough that I'd hire I friend's kid to help out)...just a thought.

Logan Cabin
02-08-2020, 04:23 PM
Wouldn't happen to be on 10th street, would it?

Yep, that's the place. The Hinkle-Garton Farmstead. I've got about 80 taps out now, hope I have enough sap for a demo boil tomorrow. Had a number of taps running as I set them today.

Logan Cabin
02-08-2020, 04:28 PM
Mike, any interest in teaming up? I've got 12 acres of mostly maple forest on the north shore of Lake Lemon and only have tapped maybe 1/10th of my maples (100 taps). Have a 2x4 mason evaporator on site and an 8 cartridge homemade r/o and homemade lunchbox vacuum and 2 250 gal storage totes...and I haven't even had the time to break out the evaporator...I'm just r/o'ing and boiling on a turkey fryer at home and dumping what I can't get to because my work schedule combined with my son's high school bball games limits my time down there. I'm in Carmel. With a team approach (if not this year, maybe next) we could hit over 500 taps and have some big production (enough that I'd hire I friend's kid to help out)...just a thought.

Never hurts to consider something like that. I'll be at the site a bunch the next few weeks, have a "Backyard Liquid Gold " workshop from 2-3:30 tomorrow, and another one next Saturday (Partly sponsored by the IMSA now, usually have 15-20 participants in each workshop. We are always open the last Saturday of the month for the Museum Open Day as well, and will be doing the IMSA Maple Weekend in March. Anyway, it would be easier to explain my situation at the Farmstead in person, so hopefully we can meet somewhere!

TonyL
02-09-2020, 02:44 PM
Yep, that's the place. The Hinkle-Garton Farmstead. I've got about 80 taps out now, hope I have enough sap for a demo boil tomorrow. Had a number of taps running as I set them today.

I work for IU, based out of the physical plant. I drive by the farmstead several times a day, I noticed some bags hanging in the past few days. Looks like you lost a couple trees, there by the street.

Andrew Franklin
02-09-2020, 10:41 PM
Never hurts to consider something like that. I'll be at the site a bunch the next few weeks, have a "Backyard Liquid Gold " workshop from 2-3:30 tomorrow, and another one next Saturday (Partly sponsored by the IMSA now, usually have 15-20 participants in each workshop. We are always open the last Saturday of the month for the Museum Open Day as well, and will be doing the IMSA Maple Weekend in March. Anyway, it would be easier to explain my situation at the Farmstead in person, so hopefully we can meet somewhere!

Yes, I'll try to catch up with you at some point! We live in Carmel, but I grew up in Bloomington and went to IU. My dad worked for IU almost his whole career and my grandfather was Vice President of IU for many years. I see us retiring down at Lake Lemon at least part of the year when the kids get older. I'll look forward to seeing what you are doing down there!

Logan Cabin
02-10-2020, 10:20 AM
I work for IU, based out of the physical plant. I drive by the farmstead several times a day, I noticed some bags hanging in the past few days. Looks like you lost a couple trees, there by the street.

Yeah, that hurt to see those get cut down. The one by the carriage house we had cabled 12-13 years ago, and that likely saved a lot of damage to that building. When the branch broke it ended up hanging from the cable about ten feet above the rooftop. The severe drought several years ago hurt some of those older trees. House was built in 1892, so our best guess is the trees date from that time.

Do you know Will Bowman? He’s a plumber for IU and does syrup, stops in the Farmstead a few times each season.

Logan Cabin
02-10-2020, 11:01 AM
Yes, I'll try to catch up with you at some point! We live in Carmel, but I grew up in Bloomington and went to IU. My dad worked for IU almost his whole career and my grandfather was Vice President of IU for many years. I see us retiring down at Lake Lemon at least part of the year when the kids get older. I'll look forward to seeing what you are doing down there!

Wow, the “Franklin Hall” Franklin? That’s so cool! My dad was a ‘48 IU grad, and being a history buff I love stuff like this.

Had a high school kid from Noblesville in our first workshop yesterday. Spent a half an hour talking to him afterwards. Could I put him in touch with you as someone he could ask about syrup closer to home? I plan to look through the IMSA member list too.

TonyL
02-10-2020, 07:25 PM
Yeah, that hurt to see those get cut down. The one by the carriage house we had cabled 12-13 years ago, and that likely saved a lot of damage to that building. When the branch broke it ended up hanging from the cable about ten feet above the rooftop. The severe drought several years ago hurt some of those older trees. House was built in 1892, so our best guess is the trees date from that time.

Do you know Will Bowman? He’s a plumber for IU and does syrup, stops in the Farmstead a few times each season.

Oh yeah, I know Will, We talk syrup quite a bit. He's making some very nice improvements/upgrades this season.

Andrew Franklin
02-12-2020, 10:44 PM
Wow, the “Franklin Hall” Franklin? That’s so cool! My dad was a ‘48 IU grad, and being a history buff I love stuff like this.

Had a high school kid from Noblesville in our first workshop yesterday. Spent a half an hour talking to him afterwards. Could I put him in touch with you as someone he could ask about syrup closer to home? I plan to look through the IMSA member list too.

Hey Michael, yes, the same...lol! I'd be happy to talk to him. Most of what I do is down at the lake, but I typically r/o to about 8% and boil while I do it on a turkey fryer and wind up coming home with containers at about 25 - 35% and finish boiling and bottling up here because I run out of time...and my 2x4 Mason evaporator is buried deep in the garage at the lake behind 2 sea doos, a riding mower, and a golf cart, all with the batteries removed for the winter. Kind of hoping I don't have to roll everything out to get it, kind of hoping I do! But sure, happy to talk to him about my goofy hobby. My email is afranklin@indy.rr.com if you want to pass it on to him.

I'm laying low with the temps we've had...are you getting any production? I haven't been down since the Monday before last. I have my lines running into a 250 gallon food tote, so I'd be shocked if I've collected much, and the temps should keep it fresh. Plus, with the density of my forest I find it is slow to warm up and get flowing. Looks like I'll head down first of the week to hopefully find some sap.

Andrew Franklin
02-16-2020, 08:49 PM
Today must have been a good day! Heading down to my sugarbush tomorrow and hoping to have a nice amount waiting for me. Hopefully the rest of you are too busy boiling tonight to post!

DougM
02-17-2020, 09:29 AM
We finished up the rest of our vacuum taps yesterday, we’re finally catching up. Right at 300 total & I think we’ll have another 20-30 on bags.
Our trees were running like faucets around 3 yesterday & it didn’t get very cold overnight so today should be another good one.

Andrew Franklin
02-17-2020, 11:06 PM
I went down today with only 4 hours to collect, and found 250 gallons. And my well pump froze so I had to pump the sap to my truck with my lunchbox vacuum (5 gallons every excruciating 10 minutes for those wondering). Brought 90 gallons home to r/o since all I had time to do was pump. Left the rest, worried it may spoil tomorrow. Doing the r/o thing tonight and boiling tomorrow. Great haul, just wish I had more time!

DougM
02-18-2020, 09:39 AM
We started the RO last night. We had 825 in the tanks at 7:45PM, and another 180 came in overnight.
We're starting to think maybe with switching more taps to vacuum we went too small with the RO.
But we can always boil raw sap if we have to.

DougM
02-20-2020, 06:48 AM
Well, yesterday was a day of contrasts...I'm not even sure how much sap we got all together, but when we started our 545 gallon tank was almost full of concentrate. When we tested it during the day it was 5.7%. Among the mishaps:
Hose from the RO to the tank froze in the middle of the night
Drawoff valve keeps sticking open (new valve is on the way)
Seal on the front float box is not sealing all of the time, float box almost overflowed (new seal is on the way)
While the float box issue was at its worst I boiled over the finisher, probably lost a half gallon or so.
Made a new hose too long & almost burnt through it while filtering. It's a bit shorter now :)

But, in the end we bottled about 20 gallons, and have around 10 more to bottle. And we got a new 400-gallon stainless tank ready to use.
So it turned out to be a decent day.

Andrew Franklin
03-03-2020, 10:54 PM
Thinking we may be done. My trees have not started budding as they are all about 100' high and in a forest so they lag behind trees with more exposure, but I went down to my property Sunday and got 60 gallons off of 100 taps, yesterday and got 25 gallons, and today and got 5. At 150 miles round trip, that ain't worth it. Considering pulling the taps, but if we get a cold snap could I get another run? Thoughts? Just not sure waiting longer is worth the risk of spoiled sap.

fisheatingbagel
03-04-2020, 07:22 AM
You're not that much further north than me Andrew. We collected our last sap last weekend, and after what should of been a good flow Sunday there was nothing. Season was about average for us overall - about 6 weeks. We had a few warm days but nothing extended to really shut us down like 2 years ago when we had a week of 60 and 70 degree days

Mitchell tapper.
03-05-2020, 05:51 AM
It pretty much dried up for me. I pulled the taps last night.

TonyL
03-05-2020, 05:11 PM
We're hoping to catch one more run this weekend, and then we're done.

DougM
03-06-2020, 09:25 AM
Same here, this weekend looks like that's probably the end. Our trees were still running last night at around 9:30, but its really cold & windy today. Tomorrow should be a really good day after it warms up.
Fortunately we had enough sap left on Wednesday night that we can boil sap instead of syrup for our open house on Saturday, but it looks like most people doing Maple Weekend next weekend will be boiling water.
That being said, we may run out of wood before we run out of sap if they run past Sunday.

wlatrout
03-18-2020, 07:20 PM
Shut my pumps off Monday. Done for the season. Now comes the clean up.