PDA

View Full Version : tapping time???

maplefarmer
01-25-2019, 09:34 AM
Looking at forecasts, shows nothing above 32deg. clear out to 2-18, guess i have awhile
to wait

ecolbeck
01-25-2019, 09:59 AM
While they are interesting, long term forecasts (beyond 5 days) are basically useless. However, that won't stop weather companies from giving them to us.

DrTimPerkins
01-25-2019, 10:06 AM
While they are interesting, long term forecasts (beyond 5 days) are basically useless. However, that won't stop weather companies from giving them to us.

Yup, that's pretty much the case....

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/Weather.pdf

buckeye gold
01-25-2019, 11:16 AM
Heck I wouldn't bet on anything past 3 days

maplefarmer
01-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Oh, i know, heck they'll probably change it again before todays over

maple flats
01-25-2019, 12:39 PM
unless it stays cold well past your normal maple season I tend to think it can result in a better season. But if it goes well past normal you will likely have a shorter season. We'll all know how it went, after the season.

DrTimPerkins
01-25-2019, 01:19 PM
unless it stays cold well past your normal maple season I tend to think it can result in a better season. But if it goes well past normal you will likely have a shorter season. We'll all know how it went, after the season.

One of the common questions we get (especially from reporters) this time of year is "How is the season going to be?"

Our answer is...."Ask us again when it's over."

Andrew Franklin
01-31-2019, 08:00 PM
Looks like I'll be repairing lines and tapping Saturday and Sunday. With my property an hour and a half away, I try to just go down on weekends, but if we are in the low 50's through the week with lows in the 40's I may have to go down daily to every other day. From too cold to too warm...figures!

maplefarmer
02-09-2019, 06:44 PM
tapped my vac. line today, very hard to get to runs along steep river bank, think may have run coming up end of week, but had help today, so got that much done. was cold and nothing was dripping when tapped

Mitchell tapper.
02-12-2019, 11:25 PM
Looks like I'll be repairing lines and tapping Saturday and Sunday. With my property an hour and a half away, I try to just go down on weekends, but if we are in the low 50's through the week with lows in the 40's I may have to go down daily to every other day. From too cold to too warm...figures!
Andrew, I have heard you speak of your steep slope on your property. We have had a ton of rain down here and the ground is saturated and very slippery. Be careful.

Andrew Franklin
02-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Thanks! I was out in the monsoon for 4 hours last Thursday and it made me a little nervous when I got out in the woods and then the water rushing down the hill got about 3 feet deep, trapping me in the woods...right before the tornado sirens went off. Fortunately just heavy rain, but had to bring my truck home instead of my car because all the roads around Lake Lemon were under water. A friend who left 15 minutes after me couldn't get out because it came up so fast and he was stuck there for two days. Going down tomorrow to survey the damage...I hear my dock is gone. :(

maplefarmer
03-03-2019, 07:21 AM
have sap to collect, but frozen in bags in the woods, looks like another week before will be able to thaw to collect

Andrew Franklin
03-03-2019, 11:00 PM
have sap to collect, but frozen in bags in the woods, looks like another week before will be able to thaw to collect
On the bright side, it means another run! Looking back there were years I was done at the end of Feb. Looking like I'll get more off of 80 taps this year than 150 last year.