PDA

View Full Version : Some good days ahead but I'm done for 2018

Tapping Wolf
03-09-2018, 07:55 PM
Have about 20 gal. Of syrup made, my reds and silvers are budding out (90%of my bush) and sap production is slow to nothing, my few sugar maples are doing awesome but not enough to justify holding back my other spring chores...2018 was a good year for me, not great, but good...see ya next year!
(The next week or so should be great if your trees aren't budding)

maple flats
03-10-2018, 08:45 AM
Are you on tubing or buckets/bags? If on tubing the holes remain open longer. As to the buds, do you see any green yet, if no green the sap is still good to boil, if any green is visible it's done.
Have a great year, til you again do maple, may next year be your best ever.

Tapping Wolf
03-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Bags and buckets

MunsterMapler
03-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Yeah I'm done for the year also. Tapping all silvers so it's usually a short season for me. Made about 13 gallons this year so I'm fairly happy

achesser
03-13-2018, 01:00 PM
I am on a north facing slope down in a hole so my sugar maples don't show any signs of budding yet. I have enough wood to keep going but I tapped about 7 weeks ago so if will weather stays fit I will see how long tap holes in the the tubing system keep flowing. I am about a 1 hour drive south of Lake Michigan

Valmere Farms
03-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Banner year and the sap keeps flowing. With the 15 day weather pattern it could keep going for another 2-3 weeks. Absolutely the perfect "storm" for clear sap up here in northwest Indiana. I think the trees are making up for the poor season I had last year. The only problem now is I've neglected other aspects of the farm, other job and family. So, I'll call it quits next week (I think). When all is said and done should be just over 100 gallon finished. Great year and enjoy the summer.

DougM
03-22-2018, 03:02 PM
After 8 1/2 weeks, 3,282 gallons of sap, 63 1/8 gallons of syrup (52:1) and about 225 visitors to the sugarhouse everything has pretty much quit running so we're calling it for the year.

achesser
03-26-2018, 12:17 PM
We finished up this past weekend. We did much better then our goals were. Collected 4715 gallons of sap and made 76 gallons of syrup. The taps slowed considerably the last week (9th week). The new to us tubing system really extended our season. I am now ready for springtime chores that are pilling up so it was a good stopping point.