PDA

View Full Version : Question on finishing syrup

NoblesvilleIN
02-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Looking for advice. I'm tapping 6 trees and will have less than 10 gallons of sap to boil this weekend. Can I boil this down to the finishing stage, put it in a jar and hold it for a week or two before finishing on the stove? My thought is that I'll take a couple of weeks to get enough partially boiled sap (pre-syrup) to finish and bottle. Will it keep in the fridge for a week or longer and not spoil or do I need to bite the bullet and finish small amounts each week. Thanks in advance for your help.

Super Sapper
02-15-2018, 07:02 PM
It should keep in the fridge or eve the freezer.

maplefarmer
02-15-2018, 07:49 PM
i would go with freezer, will keep it fresher

Galena
02-15-2018, 08:39 PM
Definitely make it into 'nearup' this weekend. 10 g sounds like a lot to store in fridge or freezer though. If you still have snow esp on the north side, maybe dig some bunkers into the snow and bury it in them. Oh and allow enough headroom for expansion in case it freezes solid. Hope this helps!

Run Forest Run!
02-15-2018, 08:41 PM
NoblesvilleIN, you have an excellent idea to save your 'nearup' (nearly syrup) batches and combine them to finish on the stove later. I'd keep the nearup in the freezer. If you want to store it in glass mason jars, make sure you use wide-mouth jars and not regular-mouth jars. Because the nearup will expand when it freezes it could break a regular-mouth mason jar. Wide-mouth jars don't have the 'shoulder' that regular ones do. The sides go straight up.

Easier still, use plastic containers and you'll not have to worry about breakage at all. Best of luck with your season! Make sure you post pictures of your syrup when you've finished your first batch.:)

NoblesvilleIN
02-17-2018, 07:27 AM
Thank you for the help. Yesterday I boiled about 8 gallons down to 1.25 gallons. Obviously need to boil it some more.