PDA

View Full Version : Peeper are singing

5050racing
02-25-2017, 11:11 AM
It's done here in Asbury,NJ made 1.5 gal dark but tasty batch last night well 1am today and you could hear the peeper singing out loud so not upset made around 15 gal and I'm ready to clean it all up,my cub volunteer 4x4 clutch is sticking have to pull it apart so I would of had trouble getting up in woods to collect. Had a blast with lots of old n new friends last night,great way to start thinking about next year. It's always a sad but happy time every year. Big plans for next year with the RO build that John NJ is going to help me put together can't wait first parts came today in the mail !!

Run Forest Run!
02-25-2017, 11:14 AM
Congratulations on such a successful year Teddy. I am still waiting for things to really get rolling up here. Tell your peepers to stay where they are!

5050racing
02-25-2017, 12:09 PM
Thanks I told then to stay here!

dcast99
02-25-2017, 07:31 PM
Hopefully they will listen and not travel north. Finished up our two day boil today. Made another 10 gls of amber syrup. Overall my syrup has been light this year. Haven't made any dark yet. Suppose to get to freezing the next 3 nights, then 2 warm days then another 3 or 4 good weather days. Hopefully it's not done yet for me.

John-NJ
02-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Well I haven't heard the peepers here, but when I came home tonight at 8, there were half a dozen people out on the street in reflective vests. I thought it might be a power crew working on lines downed in the storm, so I asked them what was going on. One told me they were looking for salamanders. So I guess that there are reptiles (or amphibians - I never got that straight) in the area!!:confused:

5050racing
02-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Dcast99 I hope it all works for you!! I'm just shot out with all other stuff to do cub volunteer needs work to collect,also happy with all I've had help doing,lots of fun this year made new friends,didn't pull anything yet will see if anything happens with the weather,just went non-stop about for the 25 days sort of,last weekend 4days non stop boiled 430gal.

sugarwoodacres
02-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Cleaned all my drums and put them back in place today. May get cold enough for another run.

jerzeemaple
02-27-2017, 07:53 AM
Not so much asa drop of sap yesterday after a freeze thaw. Reds are swollen eeeeek!

5050racing
02-27-2017, 07:59 AM
23 this am I will go up after work n see my side of the mountain is a afternoon performer but my lines r not in drums n don't really care pretty sure I'm done,but never know I never quit till it's done!

valleyman
03-01-2017, 10:59 AM
I'm holding out some hope for one or two more weeks in Southern CT. But if you guys are tapping out, We're not far behind. :cry:

I heard the peepers on Saturday. I heard the peepers again last night and I expect they'll be loving the rainstorms tonight.
But I read that a MT heard that when you hear peepers 3 days in a row, then we're finished.

With the freeze coming back Thursday night up here, I'm holding onto hope.

5050racing
03-01-2017, 11:05 AM
Good luck to you Valleyman but I'm done they were singing last nigh again 70degrees today it was a short but nice season,I feel I timed it the best I could of but glad I don't have another month of work doing it!

valleyman
03-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Good luck to you Valleyman but I'm done they were singing last nigh again 70degrees today it was a short but nice season,I feel I timed it the best I could of but glad I don't have another month of work doing it!

Lol, I hear you there bro!. I took this week off and it feels pretty darn nice.

John-NJ
03-02-2017, 01:16 PM
I heard peepers last night driving with the windows closed and the radio on. Crocuses blooming, daffodils 10 inches high. Red maples all have fat red buds. Record high temperatures in Antartica. Hope the predicted lows of 18 tomorrow night and 14 the following don't kill everything off.

jerzeemaple
03-02-2017, 07:32 PM
That windstorm last night wiped out some big trees where I tap and put my mainlines on the ground. It was a big ash that blew out at the trink and took out a swamp white oak then my lines. Hope it's not EAB, but I guess it's only a matter of Time before that shows up. Got some work to do in the woods now. Heard peepers around 5:30 today and it was chilly