PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the taps

Mitchell tapper.
03-09-2016, 12:16 AM
Got a decent 39 gallon 3 day run since last Saturday night. Pulled the taps Tue morning and boiled that evening. Made 2 1/2 guarts. Total sap for the year...about 610 gal. Made 8 1/2 gallons of syrup. Best year so far and I attribute it to the tubing and pump. No more buckets for me.

Andrew Franklin
03-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Got a decent 39 gallon 3 day run since last Saturday night. Pulled the taps Tue morning and boiled that evening. Made 2 1/2 guarts. Total sap for the year...about 610 gal. Made 8 1/2 gallons of syrup. Best year so far and I attribute it to the tubing and pump. No more buckets for me.

The 3/16 tubing made a huge difference for me as well - wondering about trying my trees without 30' of fall with 3/16 and a pump. Do you mind sharing with me what pump you use? Do you run it just when sap is flowing? Never used one before...thanks!

Mitchell tapper.
03-10-2016, 01:48 AM
I sent you a pm Andrew.

Andrew Franklin
03-11-2016, 08:08 PM
I sent you a pm Andrew.

I got it - much appreciated and very helpful...thanks!!

Andrew Franklin
03-12-2016, 10:15 PM
I went down and pulled my taps today. Temps up to the 70's next week mean I'm done even if the trees aren't - it will spoil before I can get to it next. One thing to share - as I walked up my 700' deep hill that rises 300', I found that on one of my 3/16 lines it had clogged with shavings holding back the sap from 12 taps above it. I cleared it and couldn't believe the pressure as I pulled the taps above it...it sucked the sap down faster than I could see it run. Lesson 1: Walk the lines more than I did this season. Lesson 2: If you have elevation, 3/16 is amazing.

Thanks to all who shared their knowledge with me this year - I greatly appreciate it, and look forward to next year!

Time to get the boats in the water - another hobby that drains my wallet!