PDA

View Full Version : Indiana weather the next week

Andrew Franklin
02-15-2016, 10:30 PM
Highs of 38 tomorrow and Wed. with lows in the 20's tonight - hoping my southern exposure gets some afternoon sun and flows a little.
Up to 46 Thursday - should be a good day.
Lows above freezing through the weekend with highs in the low 60's doesn't bode well, but the first three days of next week look good.

With these 60 degree days we've had when do you all think we will be done?

kharper
02-16-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm in Haubstadt. I think im going to go the rest of this and next week thats probably about it. If I don't hear peepers by then I may keep going but I'd say another 2 weeks is probably pushing it

ericjeeper
02-16-2016, 03:36 PM
I just checked,my taps are still dry.. Probably tomorrow before the deep freeze thaws out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Andrew Franklin
02-16-2016, 10:26 PM
I hate to think that will be the end with everything currently frozen, but it has been awfully warm. Good news is next week is looking like highs in the low 40's and lows in the 20's..that could make for a good final run.

Andrew Franklin
02-16-2016, 10:28 PM
I just checked,my taps are still dry.. Probably tomorrow before the deep freeze thaws out.

If you get a chance please let us know how the next few days go - trying to figure out when I'll need to head to my property and how much I'll have to boil - I'm only 15 minutes or so from Martinsville, so I'm guessing our conditions will be similar. Thanks for the update!

Locust Farms
02-17-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm in Haubstadt. I think im going to go the rest of this and next week thats probably about it. If I don't hear peepers by then I may keep going but I'd say another 2 weeks is probably pushing it
I am about 9 mi northeast from you . My vacum taps started flowing 3:00 pm today. Gravity nothing.

Dwight

DougM
02-18-2016, 12:01 PM
We tapped around 150 Monday & Wednesday, all on bags. Yesterday by 10 the new ones we tapped were flowing. Hoping today they run like crazy.

Andrew Franklin
02-18-2016, 11:13 PM
We tapped around 150 Monday & Wednesday, all on bags. Yesterday by 10 the new ones we tapped were flowing. Hoping today they run like crazy.

Hope today was a good day and you are boiling! I will be boiling Saturday and Sunday, and now next week's forecast is looking really good!

DougM
02-19-2016, 09:28 AM
We will be boiling tomorrow. Kind of glad the bags are full, otherwise they'd be blowing into the next county

Andrew Franklin
02-19-2016, 10:22 AM
We will be boiling tomorrow. Kind of glad the bags are full, otherwise they'd be blowing into the next county

Glad to hear they are full! I thought about taking the day off to boil today, but I am set up outside. That wind is too much today, I'm scared I'd burn down my woods.

DougM
02-19-2016, 10:40 AM
We're indoors, but starting with a completely new room for the evaporator so we'll see how it goes. We did a short test boil on Wednesday without the hood and the new cupola worked great, but with these winds it's hard telling what will happen.

DougM
02-25-2016, 11:07 AM
After boiling in 40+ MPH winds yesterday I'm happy to say that 1) our relocated stack didn't blow away and/or fall down, and 2) our new cupola works great. We were able to keep the north (windward) side closed and the wind basically sucked the steam out the south side. A couple of times we did get a draft back in from the south it cleared out in a couple of minutes. This is the first season we haven't had rain falling from the roof, it's really nice.

Andrew Franklin
02-25-2016, 11:02 PM
After boiling in 40+ MPH winds yesterday I'm happy to say that 1) our relocated stack didn't blow away and/or fall down, and 2) our new cupola works great. We were able to keep the north (windward) side closed and the wind basically sucked the steam out the south side. A couple of times we did get a draft back in from the south it cleared out in a couple of minutes. This is the first season we haven't had rain falling from the roof, it's really nice.

Nice! I didn't have time to get my arch bricked, so I have the pan on a cinderblock arch outside right next to the lake. The wind coming across the lake does a good job on the steam when not too strong, but I'll be moving it inside next year for sure. Hoping things run tomorrow and Saturday - let me know what you see...if it's good I'll head down to boil Saturday rather than Sunday. This warm weekend weather is nuts...I pulled my last 25 gallons out of my tanks Sunday and brought home to boil and it started to turn. Poured out 5 gallons, and the rest boiled down to some very nutty tasting syrup. I may use it for cooking (I love heavy flavor syrup on salmon or a slow smoked pork butt) but not on pancakes.

DougM
02-26-2016, 06:16 AM
I don't think we'll get sap until tomorrow afternoon, maybe they'll run all night on Saturday.
We are having an open house day next Saturday, I hope we have sap for that. The forecast for next week looks like we might, but this up & down weather isn't helping.

Andrew Franklin
02-26-2016, 07:16 PM
I don't think we'll get sap until tomorrow afternoon, maybe they'll run all night on Saturday.
We are having an open house day next Saturday, I hope we have sap for that. The forecast for next week looks like we might, but this up & down weather isn't helping.

I agree with you about this weekend...tomorrow should be good, but it will probably stop Sunday if we hit the 60's. I like boiling in the warm weather, but this is crazy. Good luck with your open house, I think that's also the weekend of the national maple festival in Brown County. Hopefully you get some free interest generated from that.

ericjeeper
02-26-2016, 08:08 PM
If any of you come to the Festival. Stop in the Maple Market tent and say hello.. Hoosier Sugar Daddy booth.