PDA

View Full Version : is anybody else getting dark syrup

sweetmoomoo
03-21-2015, 07:11 PM
so far this year i have been getting very dark syrup, not doing anything diffrent then last year other then moving inside a shack. last year was all light untill the end. anyone else getting dark? i do batch boil so expect to get some darker stuff but this stuff is real dark.

Shawn
03-21-2015, 07:14 PM
Have not even started here have no vacume etc and it runs a little and then stops. Opened up a little today but we have the cold winds starting at midnight and cold until Monday and then a warm up again keeping the hope for then and who knows here a week or two

jerzeemaple
03-21-2015, 07:24 PM
11242I have not made dark, probably soon, last 2 batches graded amber. All last year was dark. All tastes great early in the season! Saps still running tonight, i just shut down, gonna fire up again in the morning after i pump!!!finally boiling. My buckets tested 2.5, not sure what the swamp reds tested, had 80-90 gals today at 4pm!

Run Forest Run!
03-21-2015, 08:33 PM
That's a great haul jerzeemaple. I hope you continue to get lots of sap.

goldenmaple1
03-21-2015, 08:37 PM
We've been getting darker than normal syrup in southern Wisconsin too. We've kinda been hoping it wasn't just us. Our initial sugar is a bit lower than normal but we're not putting anything under 17% into the evaporator. Today I dropped the front pan depth to 1.25" and that helped but basically everything is the same from last year. We actually boiled more dilute sap last year. Like they always say; every season is different.:)

mapleguy
03-22-2015, 05:56 AM
My first few boils were a shade below "B" This past week it lightened up to an A-Dark Last boil it was between Med and dark. I'm thinking it will start to darken again soon, as the season is close to the end.

5050racing
03-22-2015, 07:15 AM
Last week was light amber,after 2am I will finish starting now n see 125 gal batch boil still running,collected all 125 yesterday from Friday an sat runs!