PDA

View Full Version : Food

Agb
03-11-2015, 05:31 PM
What do you eat when your spending hours boiling off sap and no time to cook?

NhShaun
03-11-2015, 05:37 PM
I mix nuts and dried fruit with Raw honey and coconut oil and sometimes dark chocolate in a pan. They are packed with the stuff that keeps me going, don't take up too much space, and relatively easy and cheap to make. Especially when buying the nuts in 1lb bags.

Shawn
03-11-2015, 05:38 PM
some of the wife's make chili, soups , and of course being here in NH we have deer meat on the grill outside, fresh biscut's with maple syrup on them, American Chop Su, you name it we have it we eat good, Hot dogs are the favorite in our sap, boiled eggs on and on

5050racing
03-11-2015, 06:29 PM
No sap to boil YET so I don't have to think about it,we have made pancakes,oatmeal made with boiling sap!!

West Sumner Sugar
03-11-2015, 06:55 PM
We have a hot dog steamer in our sugar house. We go through a ton of dogs over the winter. Other than that baked beans, chili, sloppy joes. Mostly stuff we can do up I the crock pot.

sugarwoodacres
03-11-2015, 07:13 PM
No sap to boil YET so I don't have to think about it,we have made pancakes,oatmeal made with boiling sap!!
Collected about 50 gallons today on the hillside. Nothing on top of the hill running yet. 1.8 on sugar content

lakeview maple
03-11-2015, 07:51 PM
We keep a few of the shaker bottles of pancake mix at the sugarhouse, real quick to warm up a cast iron pan a little water in the shaker and there you have dinner, lunch whatever. I pick up a half dozen of these shaker bottles , a big tub of hot cocoa and a couple of cans of coffee before season starts, now im covered for most of the season , for myself and who ever shows up.

jerzeemaple
03-11-2015, 07:59 PM
I just fired off my evaporator so I'm eating a Sam Adams!

njburg
03-12-2015, 08:30 PM
I took deer meat to Alpine in Blairstown and got 30# of hot dogs made. I have one of those campfire forks and cook them next to the stack, it's not bad in the beginning but after awhile I don't want to see another hot dog.

dcast99
03-13-2015, 08:18 AM
My buddy usually sets up his smoker just outside the sugarhouse. While boiling all day he will make dinner for the family. Of course we will have to do a quality control test occasionally. Might be anything from trout to pork roast.