PDA

View Full Version : Western New York

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

MapleMark753
01-19-2018, 04:09 PM
We will be ready to tap tomorrow-ish. Like others we're watching the forecasts. I tell visitors that Valentines day in February is an approximater "usual" time for us but that it varies according to weather.
I was switching between the Weather Channel and the Weather Underground for forecasts, then read that the latter was purchased by the former a couple years ago. May tap some to see how its going and add more later. :)

mudr
01-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Anybody else getting an itchy finger? I'm thinking about tapping Thursday night. Looks like a nice run going into the weekend, cool down, and a second run mid/late next week. The question is, What will Feb be like....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/58fa73876495e460615b68cd52b2b751.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wnybassman
01-23-2018, 11:08 AM
Anybody else getting an itchy finger? I'm thinking about tapping Thursday night. Looks like a nice run going into the weekend, cool down, and a second run mid/late next week. The question is, What will Feb be like....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180123/58fa73876495e460615b68cd52b2b751.jpg

Very itchy!! But an itch I'm willing not to scratch until at least Feb. 4th. and can get an idea what the first couple weeks of Feb might be like. I tapped Feb 7th last year (I thought it was much earlier until I actually looked it up) and I definitely had a reduction in productivity by the end of the season on most my taps. I popped in a few extra buckets with a couple weeks to go in the season and they were running WAY WAY better than the ones I tapped early on. Last year was such a screwy year though, and I don't think I would have changed too much of what I did. Last year we had a lot of warmth with shorts bouts of cold, this year we have a lot of cold with short bouts of warmth. It's killing me sitting here while it's 48º out right now, however. lol

berkshires
01-23-2018, 11:51 AM
If you want something to go on for the longer term forecast, it doesn't get any better than this: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/

The short version is that for us in the northeast
* the next two weeks look good
* Overall for February, there's a slightly better chance of it being warmer than average than colder than average.
* The first week of February has an equal chance of being warmer and colder - it's a tossup.

Last year I tapped on Feb 19th, which wound up being perfect. This year I tapped a full month earlier, mostly because I'll only be able to get to my sugarbush once a week on weekends, so I'm worried about sap spoiling.

82cabby
01-28-2018, 04:52 PM
One of the larger producers near me (southern erie county) was making steam today. Made me nervous not to be tapped yet. Still too early for me though. I am only at 75 to 100 taps and can tap in a day if i have too, so I am going to hold off. Long range forcast has the temps dropping again Thursday.

wnybassman
01-28-2018, 05:17 PM
One of the larger producers near me (southern erie county) was making steam today. Made me nervous not to be tapped yet. Still too early for me though. I am only at 75 to 100 taps and can tap in a day if i have too, so I am going to hold off. Long range forcast has the temps dropping again Thursday.

For the record, I am not tapped yet either, although a good number of producers around me have tapped. After this past weekends warm-up, all I see is a random day here and there that is above freezing for quite some time. At this point, I am pretty happy I am holding off. If things change in another week or two I am ready to jump in.

Ghs57
01-28-2018, 06:43 PM
I'm not tapped, but my brother today suggested I run my lines while there is no snow on the ground. That's thanks to this warm up and the rain last week. This is not a bad idea. Then all I have to do is tap when the time is right, which I hope to be around the 15th of Feb.

Urban Sugarmaker
01-28-2018, 06:50 PM
Not tapped here either. I buy bulk from a guy nearby who has a few thousand tapped and the sap was running well yesterday, but he agreed I didn't miss much. If you have 7000+ holes to drill by yourself, then I'd be getting started by now too. But I don't.

Waynehere
01-28-2018, 08:06 PM
We have decided to hold off until maybe the next real thaw as well. Got all of our lines up though this weekend as well as the RO ready. 1st year with an RO and can't wait.

MapleMark753
01-29-2018, 12:22 PM
We put about half in, got a couple of runs and boils, that was nice. This year looks like it'll be an add as we go deal. May put in another hundred or so tomorrow, then wait a few weeks and put in the other half. Not on tubing so its all bags again this season. Ray G.s RO still works good (electric 125). Evap still boils too slow but for now its about my speed and I'm used to it and like it (Lapierre 2x5). Dropped the defoamer bottle IN the flue pan accidentally, lol. Even a one second hand grab will scald the heck out of your hand:o (Immediate dunk afterward in emergency cold sap bucket). Learn something every season! Maybe shoulda waited to tap, but did some anyways! :)

Kettle Ridge
01-29-2018, 01:15 PM
Tapped a few and boiled for the first time last night. Sugar only 1.7%

Richmaple1
02-06-2018, 12:55 PM
In Monroe county here near Rochester, looks like temperatures starting next Sunday the 11th will be upper 30's 40's thruThursday, and maybe even a bunch of sun. This is my first year, so I have no idea what I am doing. just going to put in about 10 taps, thinking I will do it this weekend.

Is there any downside to tapping too early?

backyardsugarer
02-06-2018, 01:25 PM
Guess I better get to work. Sold a ton of syrup this weekend and have to replenish for the upcoming busy season and maple camp. Almost sold out now. Replaced around 400 drops the last few weeks and will tap those first. Looks like we may get a warm up presidents week.

Local Brewery bought my last 5 gallons of bulk to brew a maple IPA. It was 9.5% and excellent (K2 in Webster)

As far as tapping too soon. You probably won't have a probelm if your taps and tubing are clean or relatively new. Old tubing with bacteria in the taps will close up prematurely if you tap too soon. However I went to Bascoms last year and they said they always start to tap in January and never have a problem. There lines and taps are of course cleaned annually.

wnybassman
02-06-2018, 03:37 PM
I might be tapping Sunday if the weather forecast holds. One source is saying 47º for Tuesday and another is showing 30º. lol But all three forecasts I look at are showing a bit of a warm-up next week. Spent some time today doing some game time preparations.

MapleMark753
02-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Richmaple1- Well the downside of tapping too early HERE is that there are some pretty long real freeze ups with no activity (we're pretty much tapped and have dealt with that) and that your taps could dry up a bit earlier than they would otherwise (possible shorter end of season than if you tapped later).
I'm happy with our decision, have boiled 3 times now, made a few gallons of nice Amber. Sugar percentage could also be a bit lower with earlier tapping, could easily be in about the 58 gallons of sap to a gallon of syrup range to start. good luck with your season, like others have said "your mileage may vary".:)

Urban Sugarmaker
02-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Looks good to start next week. I think I will definitely get it going if not for any other reason than to give the tubing a flush.

Richmaple1
02-07-2018, 07:48 AM
Thanks All! I am so excited to get out there and tap this weekend, its my first time doing it. I enjoyed searching our land for some good maples, I learned so much about the leaves, buds, bark and trees so that I could identify a bunch of different species. It was a blast already and I am so eager to start. I will have probably have about 7 taps into good sugar maples, and 3 taps into this monster silver maple close to my house. Do you all tap only Sugar maples, or do you have others as well?

I purchased some concrete blocks yesterday, and I am going to build a homemade wood fired evaporatorr, with steam pans from online. Total investment about $50. If I end up loving this and doing alot more, I will expand someday.

wnybassman
02-08-2018, 06:20 AM
The upcoming weather not as attractive as it was a couple days ago. Not awful, but not great

mudr
02-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Richmaple- welcome to the addiction. Hope you have fun in this new hobby. A word of advice, you most definitely can put multiple taps in one tree, but the number depends on the trunk diameter. If that silver is 3-4 in diameter, you are probably safe. Google "sustainable tapping guidelines".

The issue is that once you tap one spot in a tree, that column of wood will not conduct sap ever again. That is why next year you move over a couple of inches to tap. The year after that a few more inches, and so on. Eventually, when you make it all the way around the tree in 20 years, it has put on enough new wood that you can "tap that first spot". This ensures that you can tap that tree in perpetuity.

Where abouts are you in wny? I'm a few minutes north of batavia.

Richmaple1
02-08-2018, 03:19 PM
ThanksMudr - I am in south west Henrietta. I had been reading some books and online sources for guidelines. Great knowledge about the tapping location! I will be sure to track where I tap so I can do it for a long while. The silver I have in the yard has a circumference of like 8' when I put the tape on it, so I calculated it could have the 3 taps. Do you do Silver maples? Is the sugar content really low compared to the Sugar maple?

I agree about the weather too, it looked really great late next week and it looks to be revised a little colder. Oh well, I will tap on saturday and see how it goes!

barnbc76
02-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Richmaple welcome to the fun, none of us can predict the weather but there is a reason everyone on here calls it an addiction, we can predict with almost absolute certainty you will be trying to tap more and make more after your first taste.

I do tap a few big silver maples, they can be very good in sugar, or like some produce nothing at all it varies.

Cjadamec
02-08-2018, 04:12 PM
For us small timers as long as it's a maple and large enough and healthy enough to tap then go for it. They all taste sweet in the end.

Silvers and reds don't always run on buckets but each tree and every season is different so you will never know until you tap it.

mudr
02-08-2018, 06:56 PM
Yeah, generally speaking silvers are low in sugar. That said, you can find individual silvers high in sugar as genetics plays a roll. As does soil, canopy size, competition from other trees, etc. But on average, lower.

dbeitz1891
02-09-2018, 09:28 AM
Weather is looking a little better for next week. We are pulling the trigger, the taps will make the end of season now for sure. Good luck to all.

wnybassman
02-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Yep, go time here too. Gotta work tomorrow but will tap on Sunday. Might wait another week or so for buckets, not sure yet.

Waynehere
02-10-2018, 06:51 AM
We are also tapping today and tomorrow. Weather finally looking better the next 10 days. Last year we didn't let the lines flush out on the 1st run and ended up with some off tasting lite syrup. Had to give that away to my Br-in-law who can't taste the difference. Going to make sure the lines get flushed out this year.

georgelineman
02-10-2018, 10:04 AM
My measly 84 taps in and running but not all trees. temp is 38. Orrs Mills Road, Cornwall, NY Orange County
george

wnybassman
02-11-2018, 12:54 PM
All 162 tubing taps went in this morning, might hang buckets Tuesday/Wednesday. Was 25º when I headed to the woods, and 47º when I came in for lunch. No wonder I got warm out there!! lol

Urban Sugarmaker
02-11-2018, 01:06 PM
All 162 tubing taps went in this morning, might hang buckets Tuesday/Wednesday. Was 25º when I headed to the woods, and 47º when I came in for lunch. No wonder I got warm out there!! lol

Good luck! I will be tapping Tuesday!

82cabby
02-11-2018, 04:08 PM
Put up 33 on tubing today. I'm solo and had to re-hang the lines, so I'm calling that good. Towards the end they were running a little as I tapped. Given Monday's low of 9, I'm not to worried about getting the rest in.

wnybassman
02-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Trees loosened up pretty good today. Lines aren't going to the tanks yet, but I'll stuff them in after the freeze up tonight. Only have three gauges out so far, and they read 20, 22 and 23 inches respectively. Already found a few leaks I need to address also.

wnybassman
02-12-2018, 10:17 PM
If the long range forecast holds, we have some amazing maple weather coming our way.

Troutman10
02-13-2018, 09:47 AM
I'm in the game since Sunday. Thought i was tapping 30 but my calculations must have been off and found 4 more sap sack holders in my supplies so my magic # is 34 this year. Had flow with the warmth on Sunday. Hoping for a good year. Glad for the "normal" temps and to be tapping around a traditional time compared to some years. Good luck everyone!

backyardsugarer
02-13-2018, 10:36 AM
Some good runs coming for everyone. Not going to freeze up much at night. Gravity will run a little but vac. will be required to keep it going. Glad I have everything on high vac. now. Will finish tapping tonight and chase leaks tomorrow. Good luck to everyone. Looking forward to some long nights. Just secured an agreement to buy sap from a sizeable local bush.

lyford
02-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Well the forecast certainly has my attention. Im thinking I may do half my taps this weekend and the other half in another week or so. I'm putting in 140 this year all buckets and bags. Just dont wanna go too early. I've got a family vacation planned for the first week in april, so I have about 6 wks from now til then. If I was on tubing I'd go all in, but the buckets make me unsure. What are others on buckets doing?

Userj8670
02-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Well the forecast certainly has my attention. Im thinking I may do half my taps this weekend and the other half in another week or so. I'm putting in 140 this year all buckets and bags. Just dont wanna go too early. I've got a family vacation planned for the first week in april, so I have about 6 wks from now til then. If I was on tubing I'd go all in, but the buckets make me unsure. What are others on buckets doing?

Tapped yesterday. 45 buckets. Hoping tomorrow and the next day work favorably for a weekend boil

Richmaple1
02-14-2018, 08:43 AM
So excited for these temps. My first year, I have never been so excited for 40 degree temps. I have tubing going to some clear gallon jugs, which will be fun to see fill up, with taps and tubes on the other trees going to 5 gallon buckets.

Do the trees continue to run overnight when the temperature does not fall back below freezing? Forecast is for it to stay above freezing from now until tomorrow night.

berkshires
02-14-2018, 09:19 AM
Do the trees continue to run overnight when the temperature does not fall back below freezing?

Yes. Have fun! That first run is exhilarating!

GO

mudr
02-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Ran home on my lunch break and fired up my vacuum system for the first time ever. Let's hope it goes well!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180214/ba76f1966bed5e2644b07efec25ab4ed.jpg

wnybassman
02-14-2018, 11:29 AM
I went out chasing leaks before lunch. What a pain in the butt! lol And that is only with 160+ taps on the system, can't imagine 1000's. Anyway, three connectors pulled apart. Apparently empty lines act different when in the single digits than lines with sap in them. Constricted more and pulled apart when full? Hope that doesn't continue to be a problem, lucky to be home today to discover it. Hung a couple dozen buckets down by my milk tank on the flat ground today too.

mudr
02-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Nice vac levels. Show off. Haha.

wnybassman
02-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Nice vac levels. Show off. Haha.

I like my hill :D

I went back this afternoon to see how one of the lines that was disconnected and laying on the ground was doing after I fixed it. It is doing fine :)

Richmaple1
02-15-2018, 07:11 AM
So i only have 10 taps in, mostly in Sugar maples in the woods. But I have this huge Norway Maple near the house, and a monster 8' circumference Silver maple.

So I put taps into both of those big trees. The Norway made a gallon of sap yesterday, but the Silver, which is in full sun in the yard all alone, has done almost nothing.

Do the larger trees take longer to thaw? I was sure that the Silver would produce a bunch given its open sun area, and large size.

treehugger89
02-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Usually silver maples are a pain to get any sap out of on buckets. If you get any sap, it will most likely be a small amount compared to a sugar maple plus a low sugar content.

Richmaple1
02-15-2018, 12:55 PM
So the silver maple is not a good gravity runner? i was wondering as the other trees, albeit only a day or so, are really dripping.

lyford
02-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Rich, my experience has been that silvers run alot like reds. Some trees will fill the bucket while others barely keep the bottom of the bucket wet.

Tickle
02-15-2018, 02:34 PM
got in 15 taps today all on buckets, most were running good, still have 25 to go, hope to get the rest in tommorow

Dinorocks
02-15-2018, 04:16 PM
I tapped 60 trees on 2/13/18...traditional buckets/taps. Bucket bottoms were barely covered on 2/14/18...didn’t collect. Collected late this afternoon (2/15/18) and yielded 53 gallons of sap. I have 2 55-gallon food-grade barrels to fill. I’m planning to boil Saturday...hope to have enough sap (including what I collect during the boil) to get 3 gallons of syrup. I’ll report back later.

Good luck!
Dino

Ps...this is my third year....evolved from milk jugs and miscellaneous pots, boiling in the woods, to 60 traditional buckets and taps with a 2x4 ft stailess steel pan and firebrick lined fire pit. Most of my sugar maples are tapped so now it’s just trying to be more efficient! Learning lots from this site...thanks!

wnybassman
02-15-2018, 08:02 PM
Flow was halfway decent the last two days, got about 235 gallons out of 188 taps. Buckets are just about stopped and the tubing is still running a little bit. Sugar content is the worst I've seen since I started checking sap eight years ago or so. Put 165 gallons through the evaporator today and am knocking on the door for the first draw.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-15-2018, 08:08 PM
Marginal flow today with 60 degree temps. I am going to collect tomorrow and probably boil Saturday. The cool off should keep the sap from spoiling.

Userj8670
02-15-2018, 10:10 PM
Man you guys are lucky. 45 taps and I got 12.5 gallons between yesterday and today. I got a 2x4 evap - takes 7 gallons to fill so I'm basically gonna fire it up to shut it down.....i am discouraged :(

Troutman10
02-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Collected about 40 gallons between weds and thurs. Just under a gallon/tap wedsnesday and about half a gallon/tap thursday. Looking to boil down sat or sun. Hoping for some more on Sunday here.

Quick question for you guys. I'm going to keep sap in the pan between boils this season. At what point is it ok to leave it in the pan between boils? Does it need to get up to a boil before shutdown so it won't spoil? Any help is appreciated.

lyford
02-16-2018, 07:46 AM
troutman you are definitely gonna wanna boil any sap that is gonna sit in your pan for any length of time, and if it gets warm out you prob. wont wanna leave it for more than a couple days, you dont want it get ropey, or fermenting

Richmaple1
02-16-2018, 08:28 AM
I was hoping to get 10 gallons by tomorrow. Its my first year, with 10 taps, and this will be my first boil on homemade CMU pit, with (2) 13x21 steam pans.

Does anyone have a per SF time of boiling? Not that it matters, I'm gonna just go for it.

I got nothing from the 3 taps I had in a giant Silver maple, but got over 3 gallons from a big norway maple. My other 6 taps are in Sugar maples, and I think I will have about 1 gallon per tap by tomorrow, but I haven't really measured yet as they are going into 5 gallon buckets. I don't have a hydrometer yet to check for sugar content, so I will see from my boil what I end up with!

So far its been fun, and tomorrow looks like a decent day to boil, maybe a little sun even.

Userj8670
02-16-2018, 09:04 AM
Man you guys are lucky. 45 taps and I got 12.5 gallons between yesterday and today. I got a 2x4 evap - takes 7 gallons to fill so I'm basically gonna fire it up to shut it down.....i am discouraged :(

Can any of the experts advise why I'm yielding so little with the # of taps I have?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Can any of the experts advise why I'm yielding so little with the # of taps I have?

Are you on vacuum? I have tubing and buckets all on gravity. My sap flow since I started on Wed. with perfect weather has been lagging. This is my 4th season with these trees and every season starts like this for me. Then I have a week of torrential sap flow like you wouldn't believe. All my trees are very large and very old for the most part. My peak sap flows always come in early to mid March.

So hang in there. Although we understand why sap flows, it's still not totally understood why we get a lot sometimes when we wouldn't expect it, and little when we would.

Userj8670
02-16-2018, 12:04 PM
Are you on vacuum? I have tubing and buckets all on gravity. My sap flow since I started on Wed. with perfect weather has been lagging. This is my 4th season with these trees and every season starts like this for me. Then I have a week of torrential sap flow like you wouldn't believe. All my trees are very large and very old for the most part. My peak sap flows always come in early to mid March.

So hang in there. Although we understand why sap flows, it's still not totally understood why we get a lot sometimes when we wouldn't expect it, and little when we would.

Thanks for the reply! All of my taps are gravity. Mostly all just spiles and buckets with a few trees that have multiple taps on a tube going into a 5 gal bucket.

But anyway yeah I am pretty discouraged with what I've collected and can't say that it's enough to run the evap ?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the reply! All of my taps are gravity. Mostly all just spiles and buckets with a few trees that have multiple taps on a tube going into a 5 gal bucket.

But anyway yeah I am pretty discouraged with what I've collected and can't say that it's enough to run the evap ?

Yea I get it. The trees will give when they are ready. With your 2x4 I might wait until you have 25 - 30 gallons. It's supposed to be cooler this weekend and early season sap will keep a bit longer. Again...patience.

Userj8670
02-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Yea I get it. The trees will give when they are ready. With your 2x4 I might wait until you have 25 - 30 gallons. It's supposed to be cooler this weekend and early season sap will keep a bit longer. Again...patience.

My thought was to just get it in the evap and get it to a boil (to kill any bacteria). Not necessarily worryin about maintaining 2 inches but just get it in there get it hot and see what next week brings.

It was 49 at my house yesterday and I do what i can to keep my sap out of the sun and cool. (I store it in 5 gal buckets )

wnybassman
02-16-2018, 08:02 PM
Decent opening run. 290 gallons of sap. Sweetened the pans and made a few gallons to boot. Hope the sugar goes up next week.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-16-2018, 09:31 PM
169 taps in and all gravity. Only about 110 gallons of 1.5-1.7% sugar. Vacuum and/or 3/16 is in my future. I'm going to fire up tomorrow morning and boil it.

Dinorocks
02-17-2018, 06:21 AM
I tapped 60 trees on 2/13/18...traditional buckets/taps. Bucket bottoms were barely covered on 2/14/18...didn’t collect. Collected late this afternoon (2/15/18) and yielded 53 gallons of sap. I have 2 55-gallon food-grade barrels to fill. I’m planning to boil Saturday...hope to have enough sap (including what I collect during the boil) to get 3 gallons of syrup. I’ll report back later.

Good luck!
Dino

Ps...this is my third year....evolved from milk jugs and miscellaneous pots, boiling in the woods, to 60 traditional buckets and taps with a 2x4 ft stailess steel pan and firebrick lined fire pit. Most of my sugar maples are tapped so now it’s just trying to be more efficient! Learning lots from this site...thanks!

No sap yesterday (2/16/18) and with the temps in the teens last night and a high of 34 today, may need to push my first boil off to Monday at the earliest.

backyardsugarer
02-17-2018, 03:29 PM
480 gallons of sap, thanks to vacuum. Gravity did very little on Friday. Froze solid all day Saturday. Should get a morderate run Sunday and slam on Monday. 11 gallons of ultra light syrup.

Urban, not telling you what to do but there is no substitute for vacuum. 3/16" will never give you near the results of vac in my opinion.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-17-2018, 04:58 PM
Urban, not telling you what to do but there is no substitute for vacuum. 3/16" will never give you near the results of vac in my opinion.

Funny you mention that because I was having that discussion yesterday. The mechanical vac seems like it would provide more sap because it's on as soon as sap starts to flow and remains on. I know 3/16" works but I question whether it yields the same as mechanical vac.

wnybassman
02-17-2018, 08:29 PM
The mechanical vac seems like it would provide more sap because it's on as soon as sap starts to flow and remains on.

Well yes and no. Enough sap freezes in the lines so when things thaw and it starts to flow, vacuum occurs very quickly. You can almost stand there and watch it rise. Yesterday was pretty much the end of the run and I noticed vac was still holding at 25" or better and very little was drizzling out the end. Seems like without sap flowing out of the tree the sap just kinda hangs in the line somewhat holding that vac until it freezes. When it freezes it drops right to 0 quickly. Without a doubt mechanical vacuum produces more though, but at a greater expense.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-17-2018, 08:37 PM
Well yes and no. Enough sap freezes in the lines so when things thaw and it starts to flow, vacuum occurs very quickly. You can almost stand there and watch it rise. Yesterday was pretty much the end of the run and I noticed vac was still holding at 25" or better and very little was drizzling out the end. Seems like without sap flowing out of the tree the sap just kinda hangs in the line somewhat holding that vac until it freezes. When it freezes it drops right to 0 quickly. Without a doubt mechanical vacuum produces more though, but at a greater expense.

Yeah I would have it but where I can use it the most the landowner is not hot on it. Where I'm at is perfect for a lunchbox releaser setup. Nearly double my sap for under $300.

SugarHi
02-17-2018, 10:04 PM
Got in thirty taps yesterday an today. Almost ready!!

East Elders
02-18-2018, 01:41 PM
This is our first year. 20 taps/buckets in with 10 to go on box elders because that's all we have around our place. We've only had about 4 gallons of sap but it should pick up soon.

Richmaple1
02-19-2018, 07:19 AM
My first year, boiled down 10.5 gallons, got about 2.5 cups of VERY light colored syrup that tastes so interesting! Never had ultra light syrup like that. The percentage was 1.5%.

Does the Sugar percentage usually increase as the season progresses?

It took me 10 hours for 10 gallons on my 2 pan homemade CMU evaporator. Does that sound standard to you guys?

Seems like it will be a really great week, but worried about spoiling.
If I get several gallons by wednesday, will it keep til Saturday for boiling?

Marlin
02-19-2018, 05:44 PM
Does the Sugar percentage usually increase as the season progresses?
My sugar content seems to go up and down from run to run, but I've found that my early runs usually have lower sugar content than mid-season. Then it drops off towards the end of the season.

It took me 10 hours for 10 gallons on my 2 pan homemade CMU evaporator. Does that sound standard to you guys?
Does that use the hotel (or steam table) pans? With a single hotel-pan, you can supposedly can boil off 2 gal per hour if everything is optimal. I think that the water boils off more slowly as the sugar gets more concentrated, but I could be wrong about that. (But it's certainly true of my reverse osmosis system, which runs really fast at first and steadily slows down until I give up and boil it.)

Seems like it will be a really great week, but worried about spoiling.
If I get several gallons by wednesday, will it keep til Saturday for boiling?
Forecast predicts it will get really warm -- I would try to chill it if possible. Do you have any snow left? I've been hoarding snow for a month or two by shoveling the snow on my deck into a big pile and covering it with a tarp. Burying the jugs in snow helps both ways -- keeps it from freezing when cold and keeps it cool during warm spells. I've been known to wheelbarrow snow from the piles by the road and driveway when things get desperate, but it's really dirty snow.

mudr
02-20-2018, 07:23 AM
What's everyone getting for sugar percent? I started at 1.9/2.0, but have steadily gone down from there. I was 1.7 yesterday. Seem to be boiling forever to get syrup. I Got a sap hydrometer at the tail end of last year and was at 2.25. This is not as fun.

Waynehere
02-20-2018, 08:00 AM
My Sugar started out at 2% and was 1.7% last night. Running good overnight, so will see what last nights run brings. Just started using our new RO and what a difference. Pulled 300 gal water from 420 sap. So much much shorter boils, so the low sugar isn't affecting our boil time. So glad God invented the RO..... :cool:

Userj8670
02-20-2018, 10:00 AM
Morning all-

Boiled last night and collected again this morning. Noticed one of my Norway's had tan colored sap in it this morning - is this ok? It's 59 here and it's less than 24 hrs old in the bucket

Run Forest Run!
02-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Some rain or melting snow got into your bucket. It's yellow because it ran down the bark of your tree. It's not harmful, just not a lot of sugar in it depending on how much is water and how much is sap.

Userj8670
02-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Ok so I'm glad I don't need to discard it! I assume as well that I should boil tonight vs trying to hold sap to tomorrow with these temps?

Run Forest Run!
02-20-2018, 10:43 AM
It's a good idea to boil sap sooner than later, especially with temperatures like you are experiencing. It's always handy to have a jug or two of frozen water available to drop into your bulk containers to help keep the sap chilled. That would be a good thing to remember for next year - - and we all know you WILL be sugaring next year. hahaha You are definitely hooked.

Userj8670
02-20-2018, 11:08 AM
It's a good idea to boil sap sooner than later, especially with temperatures like you are experiencing. It's always handy to have a jug or two of frozen water available to drop into your bulk containers to help keep the sap chilled. That would be a good thing to remember for next year - - and we all know you WILL be sugaring next year. hahaha You are definitely hooked.

Thought so lol.

I've done syrup for quite a few years with friends and then on a small gas stove (took HOURS). This is my first year having my own evap. Stoked for boiling tonight

Urban Sugarmaker
02-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Nice 210 gallon haul today at 2%. Drew off a few gallons of golden. I'm hoping this warm spell is it until the end.

MapleMark753
02-20-2018, 05:20 PM
Mud, rain, and the first real bugs of the season (ants mostly). Didn't matter how I drove (had to use 4 wheel drive) ruts were made. Didn't get stuck though, and the sap went through the RO like a hot knife through butter. Golden, really? I haven't seen any golden here so far. Just nice looking and tasting Amber. I would like to make a bit of golden though just to have all the grades. Tired and happy 2nite. take care, Mark

barnbc76
02-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Finished tapping today, 25 taps all running great. Wished I would have gotten them in sooner but oh well. My 3 yr old helped me out, he had fun. Had to do a clean out on my pan and barrel. Ive been a little behind do to sicknesses going around but also because I starting another new hobby keeping bees so I've been busy Building hives and components. Our 3rd baby is due beginning of april so ive got alot to do. Looking forward to my first boil this weekend. Happy sugaring.

mudr
02-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Today was a complete surprise. Sap flowed hard in past 24 hrs. My tubing yielded 1.5 gal/tap, and that was without vacuum as I had a bearing go out in my pump yesterday. Most surprisingly, Sap was still clear, no odor, or off flavor when I collected. Boiled some down on stove inside to be sure.

Only brought up 150 gal from wooxs, I wasn't going to try more as if get stuck. As it is, I have another 25 gal around the house. Will be boiling till 11 or so. Will see if the other 60 gal is any good tomorrow, it is supposed to cool down.

Sap running 1.7-1.8%.

Marlin
02-20-2018, 10:01 PM
Crazy here too. 1.25 gal/tap on buckets, I think that's a 24-hour record for me, and it could have been more because some jugs were overflowing. 66 degrees at 11:00pm. There were slugs on some of the jugs, saw a couple of ants, and there were earthworms everywhere in the grassy areas. I even heard a couple of peepers back in the swamps.

wnybassman
02-20-2018, 10:18 PM
I've collected 475 gallons since just before dark yesterday. Insanity.

wnybassman
02-21-2018, 01:25 AM
And my sugar is SUCKS%. My shack tank is full of 1.2%. Not sure I can even justify boiling it. RO very much needed I guess.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-21-2018, 07:33 AM
My sugar is also the worst I have seen. Started at 1.5 then 1.8. But I had some trees on buckets that gave me 2 gallons per tap between Monday and Tuesday late morning. Going to the leftovers this morning if it hasn't all spoiled.

YBSean
02-21-2018, 08:32 AM
105 gallons in the tank at 1.2% in Tompkins County. Sugar content ran low last year also. We were in the epicenter of the 2016 drought and I have read that it can take up to 2 years for the trees to recover and restore carbohydrates.

Waynehere
02-21-2018, 10:30 AM
We had a very good run yesterday. 1000 gal sap from 250 taps. Ran hard overnight. I think the ground was still a little froze and with all the rain, it finally got down to the roots. Thank God for the RO. Took about 800 gal water out. Sap was starting to smell funky though last night, too much warm weather. So we turned off our shurflo pumps and emptied the tanks. Need to clean them tonight and be good to go for the next round. Sap was 1.9% and made 20 gal syrup.

Richmaple1
02-21-2018, 01:04 PM
Thanks Marlin! Next year I will be thinking about stockpiling snow, great idea! Could have used it today for sure. Ended up squeezing a couple pails in my freezer and putting ice in bags in the other 5 gallon bucket.

I got 22 gallons off 10 taps in the past 2 days, and need to preserve until I can boil on saturday. I hear that the syrup is better the sooner you boil, but do most of you have success with syrup less than 7 days old? I'm doing best to keep frozen and preserved of cours until saturday. Thankfully we will have some freezing the next few nights.

calvertbrothers
02-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Got done tapping at 1pm yesterday by 9 pm had 500 gallons of sap had to pump it into ro holding tank when I got up at 5am had 600 gallons in releaser tank. I have 263 taps on high vacuum and my sugar is only 2.2% this is a new woods but last year I went and tested a few trees they ranged between 2.5% and 3% it’s a old sugarbush From 1936

wnybassman
02-21-2018, 07:52 PM
I am likely going to have to dump a half a tank of sap in the morning. Too much at once and with that warmth I just couldn't keep up with it. Got real cloudy late in the day. At 1.2% I guess it doesn't hurt my feelings. 3 hours of sleep two nights ago and 1 1/2 hours last night. Can't do much more than that.

On a positive note I bottled the first 8 gallons today and it all stayed Amber Rich. I would have put money on it going much darker.

I really don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the rest of the season. Seems once you start battling cloudy sap it a problem from there on out. I'd like to see the sugar bump up a little too. Maybe I'm just tired and cranky lol

Urban Sugarmaker
02-21-2018, 08:15 PM
Got the last of it today with 130 gallons or so of 2%. So that was at least 2 GPT on gravity. I so wish I was running vac. Hopefully the rest of this season turns out okay.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-21-2018, 08:17 PM
I am likely going to have to dump a half a tank of sap in the morning. Too much at once and with that warmth I just couldn't keep up with it. Got real cloudy late in the day. At 1.2% I guess it doesn't hurt my feelings. 3 hours of sleep two nights ago and 1 1/2 hours last night. Can't do much more than that.

On a positive note I bottled the first 8 gallons today and it all stayed Amber Rich. I would have put money on it going much darker.

I really don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about the rest of the season. Seems once you start battling cloudy sap it a problem from there on out. I'd like to see the sugar bump up a little too. Maybe I'm just tired and cranky lol

RO? I think it makes sugaring more relaxing and even more fun.

Tickle
02-21-2018, 08:57 PM
So collected tonight 33 taps 40gal. Sap since yesterday only 2 buckets with cloudy sap that I had to dump, boiling on friday

mudr
02-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Bassman said he's going to build two RO units this summer and sell one to me. I will give him a quart or two of syrup for his labor. :) :) :)

Been my best three day stretch of my young career. Looking forward to a break, and I know my wife is too. Been all dark/robust until tonight's batch which is likely very dark/strong.

wnybassman
02-22-2018, 05:42 AM
Bassman said he's going to build two RO units this summer and sell one to me. I will give him a quart or two of syrup for his labor. :) :) :)

Been my best three day stretch of my young career. Looking forward to a break, and I know my wife is too. Been all dark/robust until tonight's batch which is likely very dark/strong.

Hey, I might need that quart or two!! lol

But yeah, an RO has got to be in my future.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-22-2018, 06:36 AM
Not much for good freezes in the forecast the next 2 weeks. I hope it's inaccurate in our favor.

wnybassman
02-22-2018, 06:47 AM
Not much for good freezes in the forecast the next 2 weeks. I hope it's inaccurate in our favor.

Not as good of a freeze as I was hoping last night. This morning ground still soft and no skim ice on puddles. Was 29 when I got up. Accuweather is showing teens and low 20's late next week.

Userj8670
02-22-2018, 08:42 AM
Not as good of a freeze as I was hoping last night. This morning ground still soft and no skim ice on puddles. Was 29 when I got up. Accuweather is showing teens and low 20's late next week.

I was hoping for another run on Sunday but as it's been stated the weather isn't that cold. What is everyone's thoughts?

Troutman10
02-22-2018, 08:54 AM
Gonna boil some off tonight after work. Temps in my area look to have lows in high 20's and low 30's. Probably not ideal but still should flow once it warms, correct? Got a little desparate the other day and got some snow from a local plaza to put around my storage barrels. People were probably wondering what the heck I was doing. Haha. The stuff syrup makes us do!

backyardsugarer
02-22-2018, 11:39 AM
It was a 3 day freak show. Vacs ran non stop and so did the sap. Collected 1100 gallons yesturday after it slowed down. Tuesday was an avalanche of sap and I lost track of how much I collected. Ran the RO to 9% and boilded for 14 hours with a constant flow of concentrate.

Tomorrow looks good. Just washed the RO, cleaned the pans and ready to get after it again tomorrow. Could have 50% of my typical crop in the month of February if we have a good weekend.

wnybassman
02-22-2018, 11:49 AM
It may have froze a little better than I thought here. I went and cleaned the milk tank at the bottom of the hill and water froze instantly to the inside sides when water hit it. Leaves very crunchy and froze down there too.

I am hopeful for a decent run starting tomorrow as well. This morning I cleaned the milk tanks, truck tank, evaporator feed tank and the syrup pan is currently soaking in warm vinegar. And I can't see the grass in the lawn anymore either. lol

Broke my heart to dump 175+ gallons of sap this morning. It looked like I had a tank full of Mountain Dew though. Tasted halfway decent but smelled a little funny, but I felt it wasn't worth the time and energy to process at 1.2%. Time was better spent cleaning everything I think.

MapleMark753
02-22-2018, 02:41 PM
spent some time cleaning everything here too. At least the inside of the evaporator is shiny again and not that tan beginning of niter coating. Permeate does a pretty good cleaning job, and better still when its warm. When its warm out learned the hard way not to forget the float boxes and supply/transfer hoses too. When we have to dump precious sap, I just call it implementing the "Sap Management Plan". I aint happy about it now:mad:, but will be tomorrow I think. Hopeful for a good run tomorrow, weather looks like it here. :)

wnybassman
02-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Well I guess it's running again..............

https://www.facebook.com/100007807125735/videos/2038047743132110/

Dinorocks
02-22-2018, 03:14 PM
No sap yesterday (2/16/18) and with the temps in the teens last night and a high of 34 today, may need to push my first boil off to Monday at the earliest.

We completed our first boil of the season last evening (2/21/18), and the finish boil this morning (2/22/18). Started the fire at 7:15AM and put the first 10 gallons in my pan (24" by 42") at 7:45AM. Boiled 150 gallons of sap down to 5 gallons of "nearyurp" at 10:00PM...about 14 hours of boiling with an average evaporate of approximately 10 gallons per hour (note I pre-warmed the sap in 5-gallon increments before adding to the main pan). I used less that 3/4 cord of seasoned ash wood, split to 2-4" diameter pieces. Started my finish boil in a 16" by 16" stainless pan on my Weber propane grill this morning...ended with 358 ounces (2.8 gallons) of amber (?) syrup! Below are a few picts.

Richmaple1
02-23-2018, 02:10 PM
Second boil of the season coming tomorrow on my homemade CMU wood fired evap. I think I will have over 30 gallons from my 10 taps this week, which I have been storing in my freezer since Tuesday. It probably ran a little today too so I will have lots to do!

I'm having my family and friends over for a mini-maple festival in the woods! So far I am loving this has been a blast, and I have enjoyed reading the forum everyday!

Hopefully this sap is more than 1.5% since that was what I got last weekend. Anyone getting higher levels of sugar yet from the stuff that ran monday-tuesday?

wnybassman
02-23-2018, 02:23 PM
Anyone getting higher levels of sugar yet from the stuff that ran monday-tuesday?

No, in fact it was slightly less last night at 1.1%

lyford
02-23-2018, 03:04 PM
I got around 230 gallons at 1.7-1.8% on that run from 95 taps mostly reds and all on bags and buckets. Hasn’t ran much at all since then.

Troutman10
02-23-2018, 04:35 PM
Sweetened the pan and it doesnt look like a freeze all weekend. Should I pull all my sweet off, clean stuff and refrigerate the sweet? What does everyone else do? How long can everything last in my pan if I don't do anything? First year doing continuous flow. Any help is appreciated.

MapleMark753
02-23-2018, 04:49 PM
I won't even try to tell another syrup maker what to do, but what I have done is drain the evaporator put the sweet in a cold place, clean the evaporator good, and try to exercise patience from there til the next boil. Sometimes I'll boil some of the sweet on propane. Maybe it'll be fine sitting in the evap for a while, but...
anyways thats my two cents.
Also, today I cough, cough, dropped my refractometer, cough, cough...again and had occasion to take it apart to fix it. Luckily, did so, calibrated it and its fine. Whew. That wasn't my point though. I've got two of the Milwaukee digital refractometers, they work for me. If you've ever seen the Hanna one and a Milwaukee side by side, they're identical to appearance and operation. Also, I saw today that the entire Milwaukee inside computer board (electronic chips, etc...) has "Hanna" stamped right on it. Huh. OK then.:confused:
Our trees here didn't give a thing today.
take care, Mark

Urban Sugarmaker
02-23-2018, 05:51 PM
I cleaned and drained my pans too. The sweet is going to have to be boiled.

mudr
02-23-2018, 06:00 PM
I'm currently concentrating the remainders of my pan. Will either get it concentrated down to 5 gallons and put in freezer, Or else finish it down to syrup. Leaning towards freezer. Will then use it to establish a gradient the next time I boil.

wnybassman
02-23-2018, 08:24 PM
I collected 160 gallons of 1.0% after work tonight that ran during the day today. I have officially turned burning wood into a hobby.

I may start making some phone calls for an RO tomorrow.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-23-2018, 08:53 PM
I collected 160 gallons of 1.0% after work tonight that ran during the day today. I have officially turned burning wood into a hobby.

I may start making some phone calls for an RO tomorrow.

On the plus side, you have sap. I'm still on gravity lol. No sap for me and no freeze for at least a week.

wnybassman
02-23-2018, 09:08 PM
On the plus side, you have sap. I'm still on gravity lol. No sap for me and no freeze for at least a week.

How portable is that RO of yours? lol

Urban Sugarmaker
02-23-2018, 09:48 PM
How portable is that RO of yours? lol

Lol. If you have 240v outlet in the sugarhouse I'll bring it right over. It loves sap.

wnybassman
02-23-2018, 10:56 PM
Lol. If you have 240v outlet in the sugarhouse I'll bring it right over. It loves sap.

I have a generator with a 240 outlet. Not sure what it would draw.

wnybassman
02-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Collected another 100 plus gallons this morning. Didn't bother checking sugar, I know what it is.

mudr
02-24-2018, 11:58 AM
Bassman- I was just down at D&G, there is a 600 on the floor ready to go. You should just pull the trigger.

:)

wnybassman
02-24-2018, 12:01 PM
Split it with ya :D

Urban Sugarmaker
02-24-2018, 12:45 PM
Bassman- I was just down at D&G, there is a 600 on the floor ready to go. You should just pull the trigger.

:)

Do it. Your boiling time will be 20 minutes.

wnybassman
02-24-2018, 02:22 PM
So this afternoon I got a lead on a two year old Amish built two (4x40) post GAS powered RO that was never used, and it is just a couple towns over. The guy bought it because his shack was remote, but by the time the next season came around he had moved to a different shack with power. Cost would be a little less than a one post Leader MicRO 1.

Possibly going tomorrow to look at it. Bigger than I need though, and don't plan on expansion.

Hmmmmmmm.

wnybassman
02-25-2018, 01:20 AM
Still boiling, down to the last 8 gallons of a 216 gallon day. Almost beat the rain but more importantly I beat the wind. Don't like boiling in very high winds.

barnbc76
02-25-2018, 06:03 AM
First boil of the season last night 60 gal, I was very happy about the weather conditions they were ideal.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-25-2018, 06:16 AM
A few miles can make all the difference. No sap to speak of around here the last few days.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-25-2018, 06:21 AM
So this afternoon I got a lead on a two year old Amish built two (4x40) post GAS powered RO that was never used, and it is just a couple towns over. The guy bought it because his shack was remote, but by the time the next season came around he had moved to a different shack with power. Cost would be a little less than a one post Leader MicRO 1.

Possibly going tomorrow to look at it. Bigger than I need though, and don't plan on expansion.

Hmmmmmmm.

I don't think a 4x40 is too big for your operation. You could easily remove half the water and cut way back on your boiling time. You could also plumb in a recirculation line (more of a bypass back to the pump) and probably get 60-70% water removal with a concentrate flow that would match your rig. Last year I had 190 taps or so on a 2x4 flat pan and it was manageable. Makes it fun unless you really enjoy longer boils.

Plus, you'll have lots of pure water to clean your equipment.

mudr
02-25-2018, 07:03 AM

Hmmmmmmm.

Do some plumbing and pull one post out, save it, and put it back in in two years when you expand again

Richmaple1
02-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Its 50? degrees today (sunday) near rochester, and I haven't had any run to speak of since wednesday, and getting nothing today yet. Is that because there has not been a hard enough freeze?

Looks like it will be warm this week, but the night temps will only get as low as 31 degrees. Will that mean there will not be alot of running?

Urban Sugarmaker
02-25-2018, 09:07 AM
Its 50? degrees today (sunday) near rochester, and I haven't had any run to speak of since wednesday, and getting nothing today yet. Is that because there has not been a hard enough freeze?

Looks like it will be warm this week, but the night temps will only get as low as 31 degrees. Will that mean there will not be alot of running?

Not enough of a freeze. The freeze has to be long enough and cold enough to create a pressure change in the tree. The weather this week is not looking good. I usually don't get a good run if it goes to only 31F.

The other factor is that 50+ days increase the bacterial activity which accelerates the taphole's lifespan.

pathfinder22
02-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Got 80 gallons off 18 buckets, boiled it down friday night, finished/canned it this morning. 1.75 gallons robust done. Not much but I am happy.
Got a little in the buckets today which i will put in the freezer but does not look like another good run for about 2 weeks (per accuweather, brockport area.)
Clean up, rest up, get ready to do it again.

wnybassman
02-25-2018, 03:54 PM
I got a little bit of a run today, looks to be about a 1/2 gallon per tap but have not gone to collect it all yet. Calling for 31 tonight and 29 tomorrow night.

Strange on my 3/16ths system. Out of the 8 or so longer runs, all but two have 20+ inches of vac and sap moving in the lines. The other two have 0 inches and zero sap in the lines anywhere. I pulled the saddle off and nothing coming down at all. I figured maybe a T got clogged nearer the bottom but I walked each line twice and could not find visible evidence of this. Could those two lines be just plain not running? Could a clog be further in the T and can't be seen?

wnybassman
02-25-2018, 04:00 PM
I don't think a 4x40 is too big for your operation.

It's a double post system. I have been looking at single post rigs and they seem about perfect. Thought about doing what Brad said and bypassing one of the posts. Also, not sure I like gas engines that just sit around for 10 months out of the year. Didn't get a chance to look at it today, but possibly Tuesday

Urban Sugarmaker
02-25-2018, 05:08 PM
It's a double post system. I have been looking at single post rigs and they seem about perfect. Thought about doing what Brad said and bypassing one of the posts. Also, not sure I like gas engines that just sit around for 10 months out of the year. Didn't get a chance to look at it today, but possibly Tuesday

Yeah I didn't see that it was a 2 post. I agree on the gas engine. Electric is better and quieter.

Userj8670
02-25-2018, 10:32 PM

I'm right there with ya. Not a drop

GreyMoose
02-26-2018, 04:54 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster. First, appreciate all that I have learned from all of you. Second, a little confused this year. Tapped 300 on 3/16 last week (2/18). Have made 11 gallons of all dark syrup with lots of black gunk in the bottom of my finishing pot every batch. Thought it may be my evaporator or the mini RO membranes causing it. Boiled 5 gallons straight from collection line to pot on stove and just as bad (see picture). Seems early for such dark syrup. Located 20 miles south of Buffalo. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180226/0049a294fbfc558075758792bf9405ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MapleMark753
02-26-2018, 05:13 AM
Well, that looks like syrup with a good amount of niter/sugar sand in it. And that could just be normal.
On the other hand the "black gunk" comment is worrysome. Don't see it in the pic. Carbon (from exhaust)? Maybe be more descriptive in whats happening and what it looks like?
take care Mark

Super Sapper
02-26-2018, 05:24 AM
Looks like good syrup with normal niter on the bottom. If you are getting darker niter with your evaporator, check your syrup pan for buildup on the bottom. With an RO it will niter up faster and could cause some burning if too thick.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-26-2018, 06:50 AM
I know folks in this thread are spread out in WNY but is anyone thinking this season kinda stinks?

I started Feb 14 and I have gotten a little over 400 gallons from 169 taps. Not really any significant freeze in the forecast until this weekend and mid 50s during the day this week. I don't think the trees are going to bud early yet, but I am thinking if the weather returns to "normal" the damage has already been done by the warm spells.

Compared to the last 3 seasons this one has been the worst for me for sap and weather. I guess if 3 out of 4 are good that's okay, but like they say, ask me how it was when it's over.

GreyMoose
02-26-2018, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the input Mark and Super. That was what I was thinking but surprised by the amount this early. I guess I missed the light stuff. But it all tastes great!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Richmaple1
02-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Have you long timer's ever seen the sap bud out by March first? I am worried we might get there this week with these temps in Rochester, and no deep freezes.

Not getting much run, on what I would think would be a perfect day!! This is my first year, and we have made about 1 gallon of syrup so far from 10 taps, this saturday boil produced an Amber, but not very mapely flavor. Looking forward to the darker stuff!

Ace_R
02-26-2018, 09:10 AM
I have only been doing syrup for about 10 years now, but this is by far the worst start to the season I have had. Hopefully things change relatively soon.

backyardsugarer
02-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Way too warm with no hard freezes at night.

2 of my woods did freeze last night and had ice in the releasers, the 2 closer to town did not ice up. We need a freeze tonight.

The trees will not bud out, the bigger concern is the healing of the tap holes because of bacteria, but we will get some more sap. Need a cold snap to reset things.

This is a classic example of why there is no substitute for vac. I collected 300 gallons yesterday (not much) but gravity would yield you 0. Hoping to get another 300-400 gallons today and have enough to RO/boil this evening.

Userj8670
02-26-2018, 11:45 AM
Way too warm with no hard freezes at night.

2 of my woods did freeze last night and had ice in the releasers, the 2 closer to town did not ice up. We need a freeze tonight.

The trees will not bud out, the bigger concern is the healing of the tap holes because of bacteria, but we will get some more sap. Need a cold snap to reset things.

This is a classic example of why there is no substitute for vac. I collected 300 gallons yesterday (not much) but gravity would yield you 0. Hoping to get another 300-400 gallons today and have enough to RO/boil this evening.

I'm all on buckets - I certainly can see the benefits of vac but it's not feasible with the property I tap unfortunately

Userj8670
02-26-2018, 11:48 AM
I will add that this season I have collected and boiled roughly 70 gals (in total ) and still haven't had a draw off. I admit I am disappointed but that's the way it goes.

45 taps on buckets
2x4 smoky lake evap

backyardsugarer
02-26-2018, 01:37 PM
The sap has to move at some point...... You will make some syrup but there is no answer for buckets. You need the change in pressure caused by the freeze and thaw cycle.

Same thing happened last year with temps in the upper 60's for 5 straight days. We go some more runs after that but the season did end early.

wnybassman
02-26-2018, 05:39 PM
I know folks in this thread are spread out in WNY but is anyone thinking this season kinda stinks?

I started Feb 14 and I have gotten a little over 400 gallons from 169 taps. Not really any significant freeze in the forecast until this weekend and mid 50s during the day this week. I don't think the trees are going to bud early yet, but I am thinking if the weather returns to "normal" the damage has already been done by the warm spells.

Compared to the last 3 seasons this one has been the worst for me for sap and weather. I guess if 3 out of 4 are good that's okay, but like they say, ask me how it was when it's over.

I still think last year was a little worse for warmth.................but the sugar content was decent. This year I have collected a little over 1300 gallons of sap from 200 taps, had to dump about 175 due to it spoiling before I could get through it, and have only bottled 15 gallons of finished syrup so far. Better than some of you though, but I still think it stinks. Loooong hours and lots of wood burned for little product.

Urban Sugarmaker
02-26-2018, 06:27 PM
I still think last year was a little worse for warmth.................but the sugar content was decent. This year I have collected a little over 1300 gallons of sap from 200 taps, had to dump about 175 due to it spoiling before I could get through it, and have only bottled 15 gallons of finished syrup so far. Better than some of you though, but I still think it stinks. Loooong hours and lots of wood burned for little product.

Yeah at least it's still fairly early. It seems I only ever one crazy good sap flow week anyway and that might make the season for me but we'll see. I'd say 1300 gallons you're over half a crop if you consider 10 gallons of sap per tap normal (which I do on gravity), but you also have 3/16". You would expect more.

wnybassman
02-26-2018, 06:43 PM
I am definitely happy with the volume of sap I have gotten so far, with the conditions we've had. Just wish it wasn't half the sugar as normal for me.

mudr
02-26-2018, 07:03 PM
I just want sap.

lyford
02-26-2018, 07:21 PM
I agree mudr, just give me some sap

Userj8670
02-26-2018, 09:33 PM
Boiled about 25 gal tonight. When I was down to the last 10 I was sooo close to syrup but I had to begin shutting doen. If I would have had another 5 or 10 gallons I would have drawn off. Oh well def next time! Hoping for another run this weekebd looking ahead

MapleMark753
02-27-2018, 04:07 AM
Yeah, sometimes I'll complain when I'm swamped with sap, but that is better, much better than no sap at all for sure. Yesterday was a good news/bad news deal at our place. Good News: Got to boil some sap! Bad news: Only 80 gallons of it. Good News: 3 percent aggregate sap right out of the tree! Bad news: Syrup with so much "stuff" to filter out it had to be filtered twice. Outdoor thermometer says 28 now, n grass sounded crunchy when the dogs were out so if it warms there should be some sap today. We'll see.

Richmaple1
02-27-2018, 07:20 AM
It probably reached 30 degrees here, and was a little frosty this morning. Supposed to warm to 55 - so hoping for sap!! Otherwise I think I will be waiting til next monday given the forecasted temps.

lyford
02-27-2018, 07:37 AM
Same over here, crunchy grass and frozen puddles, hopefully it’s enough

Troutman10
02-27-2018, 11:26 AM
Any sap reports yet? Temp says 53. Hoping last night was cold enough. We'll see if I have any sap after work today.

Richmaple1
02-27-2018, 12:18 PM
I just checked. Getting a little bit. Not dripping crazy but something is happening. I think I got about 1/5 gallon from one tap an hour ago.

Userj8670
02-27-2018, 01:00 PM
Any sap reports yet? Temp says 53. Hoping last night was cold enough. We'll see if I have any sap after work today.

Gonna check after work at 5. I wouldn't plan on anything fantastical but fingers crossed

grizzlym
02-27-2018, 03:01 PM
Today I ended up with 30 gallons on 55 taps. Still dripping. That puts me over 400 gallons since the 14th. 8.5 gallons of syrup made.

wnybassman
02-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Little frost here, but a lot more two miles DOWN the road. Looks like it really settled into the lower areas around here. Things are running but not super. Gonna collect in a bit and boil most of it off tonight.

Sooooooo, I pulled the trigger today............

devils11217
02-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Awesome! how much did that cost and what are the particulars of the unit? Who makes it and do they have more?

ponderingjunkman
02-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Yes, details please! It Doesn't Look Too Expensive!

Urban Sugarmaker
02-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Little frost here, but a lot more two miles DOWN the road. Looks like it really settled into the lower areas around here. Things are running but not super. Gonna collect in a bit and boil most of it off tonight.

Sooooooo, I pulled the trigger today............

Congrats! I really like those NGMP ROs. Simple, and easy to move around. Not sure if that one has a bypass but if you get a needle valve and a tee you can plumb in a "recirculation" line. I'll bet you can remove 65-70% of the water at a concentrate flow that matches your evaporator.

Great choice.

Marlin
02-27-2018, 06:01 PM
A question for you guys with more experience: I've only got 9 taps in so far this year, and the sap from 4 taps is now tasting funny -- I don't know if it's truly "buddy" or if it's the other off-flavor they call "metabolism", but it's not useable. Is there any hope of the trees switching back to produce good sap?

I'm not sure why it's these trees that are bad, but it's 3 red maples that border on a wet area, so there's some shallow standing water around them, and the rest of my trees aren't so wet. In the past 4 years, I've only ever had one tree that started to taste bad at the very end of the season (last year). The two taps on this same tree tasted really bad today (the "spit it out immediately" kind of bad).

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

wnybassman
02-27-2018, 06:18 PM
Congrats! I really like those NGMP ROs. Simple, and easy to move around. Not sure if that one has a bypass but if you get a needle valve and a tee you can plumb in a "recirculation" line. I'll bet you can remove 65-70% of the water at a concentrate flow that matches your evaporator.

Great choice.

Thanks! It seemed like a great fit with what I got going on here. I think I got just enough taps to keep it busy and have room to grow into a bit if I wish. Keeping enough permeate on hand seems to be key. I might go around to a couple of the larger local producers tomorrow and see if I can bum a couple hundred gallons to get me started.

I collected about 55-60 gallons tonight

East Elders
02-27-2018, 09:49 PM
Hope you folks had a good sap day. We had enough of a freeze here last night and warm and sunny today. We got 30 gallons today from 26 taps. It was more than that but 5 containers were overflowing by the time we got home from work. Its probably going to get below freezing again tonight and tomorrow looks good so I'm hoping to fill my 65 gallons of storage capacity. I'll probably boil tomorrow night.

We're seeing brix readings of 2 consistantly from the box elders. I'm pleased with that since we had heard that they are usually around 1 1/2

I should have all the parts to put together an RO by the weekend. Nothing fancy, just a 2 membrane unit with a prefilter and pump in a bucket. We're hoping to keep the boils reasonable without breaking the bank since we both work full time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Richmaple1
02-28-2018, 10:48 AM
I ended up with 7 gallons from 10 taps last night. One tap barely did anything, and my best producing sugar did over 2 gallons! Strange how each tree is so different. Not expecting alot today, I don't think it frosted last night at all.

backyardsugarer
02-28-2018, 11:10 AM
No freeze last night but sap seems to be running decent on vac. Gravity is dead. Got 325 gallons last night enough to get a few draws of nice tasting dark syrup. Should have 400 + tonight and will look to do it again. This will put me over 100 gallons for the season. A lot of work for not much syrup so far. Hopefully better days are coming with the cold and snow on the way.

I will use that time to clean all tanks and the evaporator and ger ready for the real season.

Framerjeff
02-28-2018, 01:25 PM
Not looking good here in Webster NY tap mostly silvers and reds and this is what I found today 17895

Urban Sugarmaker
02-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Not looking good here in Webster NY tap mostly silvers and reds and this is what I found today 17895

Best thing to do next time you get sap is boil a small amount on your kitchen stove and taste the syrup. If it's good, then boil all your sap.

Troutman10
02-28-2018, 04:15 PM
Currently boiling off what I got yesterday. Looking forward to some cooler weather that I see for the longterm forecast. Hopefully it holds true. It would be great to have a small draw tonight. Time will tell.

mudr
02-28-2018, 04:52 PM
I have not gotten sap in 7-8 days. I suspect maplemark and Urbansugarmaker is in the same shoes, we are all closer to the lake at lower elevations. Hoping for a run Saturday or Sunday. Leaf buds are starting to swell on my yard trees.

wnybassman
02-28-2018, 05:31 PM
Got just enough today to boil for a couple hours tonight to keep the pans from getting gacky during this warmth. Today I cleaned tanks (again), created an indoor spot for a permeate tank and visited a local producer to bum a half a tank of permeate off of (Thanks Chuck, really appreciate it!!)

Looking forward to 2018 Maple Season 2.0

Urban Sugarmaker
02-28-2018, 06:47 PM
(Thanks Chuck, really appreciate it!!)

Looking forward to 2018 Maple Season 2.0

Chuck is a good guy if it's the Chuck I'm thinking of.

Anyway, still no sap. Really hating gravity. Time to find another bush and install vac. It looks like there will be some good sap weather coming up but after all the warmth the flow might not be that great.

Framerjeff
02-28-2018, 07:38 PM
Thanks for advice sugar maker. Will definitely test New to this site and fairly new to sugaring. Last year made about a gallon off 5 trees. This year bought more taps (20) but have only got 32 gallons. I cooked that last week and it yielded 68 ounces 1.6% if my math is correct. Last 8-10 days have been pretty dry. Dumped what little I did have in the jugs today hoping for better days ahead Noel Good. I know you. Met on the ice years ago Ice shanty gathering. Capt Hookem from Ice Pirates lol

bowtie
02-28-2018, 08:07 PM
Long story short, I have not picked up my new evaporator and even if I did have it I still have to build my bigger sugar house for it, and I sold my 2x6, so I am boiling on my 2x4 flat pan/warped on a two burner propane cooker. I have only tapped my yard trees,9 total. That thing drinks propane have gone through almost 3-20 lb tanks so far,boiled about 45ish gallons. I have found that my sugar is a little lower but still good, measured one tree today at 3.4/3.5 but I have had that tree hit 5 before.the thing that I have noticed the most is that sugar sand is horrendous even after filtering twice my finished syrup is cloudy. Never had this happen before. I am probably going to heat up and filter again this weekend. When I go pick up my evaporator hopefully next week I will be getting a filter press also, no more pre filters and filter press for me.my wife doesn't know about the press yet but i will cross that bridge later.

bowtie
02-28-2018, 08:24 PM
Next year I will be on tubing 3/16" natural vac or 5/16 " with vac pump , leaving the buckets behind.want at least 500 taps but would go for up to 1000 if I find the right sugar bush. Want to spend my time boiling not collecting, I like the exercise of buckets but to get enough sap for new evaporator would not have enough time to collect buckets and boil, not to mention I tap a lot of reds that just don't run well on gravity. Never thought I would go tubing and vac but here I am.
This year just trying to have fun and make a few gallons for my family. The weather has been screwy anyway so I guess I am not missing a great year so far anyway. Going to start new shack in late march, so that will keep my busy.

Rosser's Ridge
02-28-2018, 08:51 PM
been a bit busy this year so far & just catching up on posts. yeah!!! But I stock pile snow as well all winter. I have two 330 gal totes buried in snow bank. They're just starting to to become 10% exposed. I utilize a few backup piles to keep recovering. this year I'm using sawdust to cover snow. thats how they saved ice in box cars 100 tears ago before refrigeration. Hoping to keep cold storage whole season. Ive used this setup before (minus sawdust) but snow has melted before I really needed cold storage. This set up also works in reverse. Keeping sap in snowbanks helps insulate it from short freezing spells as well. Thinking of throwing UV lights in tank as well while its sitting around.

backyardsugarer
03-01-2018, 07:59 AM
Just over 500 gallons last night from vac. The small area I have on gravity did nothing. Making a lovely dark syrup but it is way too early for that. Hope to get back to amber after the cold snap. Let the vacs run all night. We'll see what there is after work today. Just broke 100 gallons for the year. Good for February but we need the cold in a big way.

Dfarmer5218
03-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Going to boil 100 gallons tomorrow in the morning. 50 gravity taps in the Southern Tier are doing fairly well with the poor weather. Getting about 100-150 gallons every 4 days. 20 taps on Grand Island are producing less then 10 gallons in the same time. Lets hope next week has a better run. I will need a good run to keep my permeate tanks full to run the 4 x 40.

MapleMark753
03-01-2018, 03:58 PM
It aint funny, but its almost funny, that those of us with RO's and sometimes semi-poor runs, worry about having enough permeate. I know I do. Sometimes my first thought is not "yea, I get to make lots of great syrup!", but rather, "aw cwap, there isn't enough permeate to rinse/wash the RO". Hopeful for some good runs here in the coming few weeks. I figure we got three maybe four weeks only left on the taps cuz we put em in a bit early. Some (a few) have already slowed down (even when a good run). We're making dark now, when its usually Amber at about this time of season.
good luck all, Mark

MapleMark753
03-01-2018, 04:10 PM
Has anybody's raw sap brix gone up? I have in the past gotten only 1.4 to 1.75 percent sometimes. Last two runs the aggregate here was 3.0 and 3.2 respectively. It won't last but was a pleasant shock to see a couple times.

bowtie
03-01-2018, 05:11 PM
Looks like no runs for a few days here, snowing now and temps in the mid 30's for the next few days. Winter is back !

wnybassman
03-01-2018, 05:16 PM
Has anybody's raw sap brix gone up? I have in the past gotten only 1.4 to 1.75 percent sometimes. Last two runs the aggregate here was 3.0 and 3.2 respectively. It won't last but was a pleasant shock to see a couple times.

To be honest, I didn't check the last couple times. I started at 1.4 and it steady went down to 1.0 I really didn't want to see it below 1 so I didn't check it lol

concord maple
03-02-2018, 12:08 PM
1 1/2'-2' of snow here and out of power since 5 am this morning. After plowing all morning it is time to finish and bottle some syrup today. Feels like I should be snowmobiling instead of doing maple stuff.

Troutman10
03-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Currently at work on "wire down duty" bc of the snow. Heads up for damage in the woods on any sap lines etc, depending on where you guys are located. Quite a bit of tree damage around.

mudr
03-02-2018, 04:00 PM
Not a pretty sight, both buds and hirsute arms.17942

lyford
03-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Looks like a soft maple, due to the rounded shape of those buds, mine have looked like that since november

Urban Sugarmaker
03-02-2018, 04:14 PM
Not a pretty sight, both buds and hirsute arms.17942

I saw worse last year before it was over. At Verona this year I went to an off-flavor seminar and I learned you can't totally rely on bud appearance when trying to avoid buddy sap. But yeah, not a good sign for March 2.

wnybassman
03-02-2018, 04:31 PM
Looks like a soft maple, due to the rounded shape of those buds, mine have looked like that since november

I agree, mine are all slender and very pointy right up until the time they open.

Earlier the snow was a few inches above my kneecap everywhere I walked in the lawn, has settled back to just kneecap height now. So probably pushing two feet here.

mudr
03-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Forgot which specific tree that came from in my yard, but all my yard trees are sugars and norways.

lyford
03-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Mudr, if that’s the case, then those must be from a Norway, sugars are much more slender and more pointed in comparison

calvertbrothers
03-02-2018, 05:54 PM
To be honest, I didn't check the last couple times. I started at 1.4 and it steady went down to 1.0 I really didn't want to see it below 1 so I didn't check it lol

I feel your pain mine went from a very responsible 2.2 to 1.5 to 1.4ish. The cold is going to hit in a few days with a low of 17 degrees. But I’m wondering if this snow last by then will it insulated the ground.

Elky81
03-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Finally my gravity line is back to flowing again! It had not been doing anything for almost a week now. But I got a little over 30 gallons from 16 taps for today so far!

mudr
03-03-2018, 05:24 PM
Got my first sap in over a week today. Back to 2.0 from 1.5-1.7

barnbc76
03-03-2018, 09:36 PM
I boiled another 40 and bottled it and last week's just a bit over 2.25 gal made. Sap was sweeter than last week.

wnybassman
03-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Ran a little late yesterday. Nothing crazy, just 60-70 gallons. It fought me all the way getting it to the shack tank after dark last night. The hose from my pump bucket to the top of the truck tank was froze at my first bucket stop, the valve was froze on the milk tank at the bottom of my 3/16ths hill, the pump out line to the road had ice in it, the truck tank valve was froze and my gravity feed line to the shack milk tank was plugged up. Boiled that this morning...................after thawing out the feed line to my head tank :D Good grief!!

Just made my rounds to empty out a few of the buckets that decided to run today, and noticed my 3/4" mainline on my 3/16ths system is froze solid. Uuhhgg!! Might be my fault, the two feet or so of it that runs over the tank itself was still encased in deep snow. Had that been exposed to the sun all day today maybe it would have thawed out a bit. Hope that doesn't cost me too much

pathfinder22
03-04-2018, 06:19 PM
Boiled off the 30 I had Saturday, made 3 full quarts...
made the rounds this morning got 42 gallons off 18 buckets.
hoping for more thru the rest of the week. weather looks ok.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-04-2018, 10:46 PM
Wound up with 165 gallons at 2% today. Making some fine tasting dark.

backyardsugarer
03-05-2018, 07:26 AM
Had a nice 900 gallon run on Saturday and was able to grab another 550 last night.

Maple camp was a huge success over the weekend. 30+ campers went to the woods and got to tap a tree. Families love the event.

Weather looks favorable tomorrow and Wednesday for big runs of clear sap.

bowtie
03-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Just got power back last night at nine, almost 72 hours without it what a pain. Temps have not above 34-35 since Thursday, no runs here at all since. We got about 14 inches of snow here and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon, weather shows the highest temp about 41 for the next week. Guess winter is not ready to give up just yet.

Richmaple1
03-05-2018, 12:23 PM
I got a few gallons yesterday with temps at 32 with the blasting sun. Was hoping for the same today, but its all clouds. Since this is my first year, I discovered that I had put alot of tubes to jugs that had bellies in them. If it wasn't in the sun, the tubing froze, even as the tree kept on running! I missed out on sap as a huge icicle formed on the tap where the tube was frozen

So I learned the hard way - only straight steep runs with the tubes to keep them clear, as you can get a day where the tree is running in the sun, but the line is freezing in the shade!

Richmaple1
03-06-2018, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE=backyardsugarer;348036]Had a nice 900 gallon run on Saturday and was able to grab another 550 last night.

Maple camp was a huge success over the weekend. 30+ campers went to the woods and got to tap a tree. Families love the event.

Weather looks favorable tomorrow and Wednesday for big runs of clear sap.[/QU
@backyard sugar

Describe what you do for the "maple camp" sounds interesting

backyardsugarer
03-06-2018, 07:38 AM
I have familes sign up and come out to the woods. I let the kids tap a tree. I leave around 50 to 60 taps out and allow the kids to drill the hole and hammer in the tap. Then we go back to my shack and I show them how syrup/candy/cream is made.

I had huge groups of people and need to figure out a way to expand for next year. I do not charge but people can certainly buy some products if they wish.

It is a nice educational experience and only takes about an hour to an hour and a half each day.

82cabby
03-06-2018, 05:27 PM
I’ve collected only 20 gallons from 91 taps in the last 10 days and I am seeing very pronounced buds on many trees. Having made 4 1/2 gallons of syrup so far on 90 taps I am really worried this season might be almost a total loss.

wnybassman
03-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Breaking open a little this afternoon. My frozen mainline was a non-issue I guess, when I checked vac gauges at 1:00 is was building vacuum, so I knew it was going somewhere. When I checked the line at 3:30 it was completely thawed. I did have three out of the ten or so main 3/16ths lines come apart sometime in the last couple days and was running on the ground. Feverishly got that fixed. Second time that has happened after they were full of sap and we got real cold. Pretty sure I stretched them too tight when I installed them. Anyway, still running strong and should have plenty to fire up the RO for the first time tomorrow.

lyford
03-06-2018, 06:22 PM
82cabby I’m in a similar situation. Only made 8 gallons on 120 taps, and only 90 gallons in the past 10
days. 100 of my taps are reds and silvers and I’m on bags and buckets but I still usually end up with around 20 gallons. I’m really thing it’s time to make the jump to tubing and vacuum. Thinking a shurflo for around half my taps is in the cards for next year. Good luck to you and everyone else with the rest of this season.

YBSean
03-06-2018, 06:57 PM
Just over 6 gallons bottled on 100 taps with buckets; 50:50 sugar and reds. Minimal flow in past week and 10 day forecast looks to be too cold in our area. Hoping for a strong finish. Was prepared to make at least 15 gallons this year. Would be happy with 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kettle Ridge
03-06-2018, 07:45 PM
Reds and silvers are a challenge during a weather year like this one. We keep reds on their own lateral lines, thinking that should make it easier to shut them off before they become a problem. We're even considering fall tapping our reds and hoping they will last through the first part of the traditional season. What's the worst that can happen beyond wasting time and supplies?

Urban Sugarmaker
03-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Just check things. I am planning a big day for Weds. Also, the one landowner where my tubing is approved vacuum for 2019. Can't wait. Going to do a lunchbox releaser setup.

Kettle Ridge
03-07-2018, 06:18 AM
Congrats, Urban. There's nothing better than a maple-friendly forest owner.

backyardsugarer
03-07-2018, 07:29 AM
Late start to the run but got 750 gallons of nice looking sap. Vac was left on overnight and we got a little frost. Already hammering by 7 am this morning on vac. Did grab 325 gallons this morning

Busy night in the shack tonight. Lots of 9% to boil plus everything that runs today, plus bottling up orders. Must be maple season. Good luck .

backyardsugarer
03-07-2018, 07:34 AM
Urban if I could make a suggestion. I believe I know the woods you tap in Macedon. If so the lunch box releaser may not be the best application. If you are acoss from the strawberry farm just south of Flags bar. It is a nice hill with huge maple trees. A diapghram pump or shurflo 4088 may give you more. The shurflo would be cheap and does not create much cfm. Diapghram would be $700 but really quiet and reliable. All of them including the lunch box releaser would require a tight system since non of the create a lot of cfm.

Just a thought. If you want to see how my shurflo or diapgrahm works I would be happy to show you.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Urban if I could make a suggestion. I believe I know the woods you tap in Macedon. If so the lunch box releaser may not be the best application. If you are acoss from the strawberry farm just south of Flags bar. It is a nice hill with huge maple trees. A diapghram pump or shurflo 4088 may give you more. The shurflo would be cheap and does not create much cfm. Diapghram would be $700 but really quiet and reliable. All of them including the lunch box releaser would require a tight system since non of the create a lot of cfm.

Just a thought. If you want to see how my shurflo or diapgrahm works I would be happy to show you.

Thanks. I'd like to see that and it's also a consideration. I have until next season to get it up and running. The gravity system there now works but it would definitely benefit from vac. The owner just doesn't want HIGH vac. He's concerned about tree health and it's taken me 4 years to build a really good relationship and trust. He had been burned in the past by someone over-tapping so he likes a more conservative approach.

wnybassman
03-07-2018, 05:01 PM
RO -----------> Awesome!!

Collected 130 gallons this morning. Ran the RO through the initial first time flush cycle with permeate. Started RO'ing sap at 11:30. At 1:30 it had dwindled the tank down to 30 gallons of 8.25%. Fired up the evaporator just before RO finished. Done boiling by a little after 3:30.

What the hell am I going to do with my time now?? lol

Getting ready to go collect before it hits freezing. Real close now, but I want to get all that I can before it freezes up for a couple days.

wnybassman
03-07-2018, 08:25 PM
Got 165 gallons sitting in the tank for tomorrow from what ran today. Sugar content has gone up to 1.7%, about where I would normally see it.

Ghs57
03-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Just check things. I am planning a big day for Weds. Also, the one landowner where my tubing is approved vacuum for 2019. Can't wait. Going to do a lunchbox releaser setup.

Third year with my lunchbox. Averages 18" vac. for me, so "no leaks" is essential. My laterals are 3/16, my return line is 5/16. I'm a few hundred feet in the woods from the compressor and about the same distance to the sap house. It can handle way more taps than I have on it this year, so I may move it to my remote bush in the future. Send me a note for more details.

jimsudz
03-08-2018, 05:04 AM
Gathered 300g of 1.9% yesterday afternoon from my bush in Cowlesville that is all 3/16. My vacuum taps at home in Bennington didn't run much at all. Plan to get out of work early and boil off what I've been accumulating. I expect to be making dark. Looks like it will not run much till the second half of weekend.

calvertbrothers
03-08-2018, 08:55 AM
I’ve been froze up for over a week now in arcade. turned on vacuum Tuesday and Wednesday and got nothing besides just wasting gas. I’ve been itching to boil and still setting up sap sacks. The weather looks like the end of next week for me. How long can sap in the evaporator last?

backyardsugarer
03-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Went out for my lunch break just to check and the sap is hammering at 33 degrees and partly sunny skies. Amazing. Fired the vacuums and will have a nice run on a day I thought we would get nothing.

pathfinder22
03-08-2018, 11:47 AM
I am just on buckets but have had a nice run the last couple days in brockport area.
Collected 104 gallons off 18 buckets since monday.
Sap at 35° is showing 2% on the hydrometer.

Richmaple1
03-08-2018, 12:50 PM
agreed! The little bit of sun today and the trees are running. Ran yesterday too really well. I have only 10 taps, but got about 25 gallons to boil this weekend! Good stuff. I hope it is going to be darker and more maple flavor as my last two boils in february were really light syrup that tasted good, but not robust dark.

Elky81
03-08-2018, 02:24 PM
I just went and checked on my 16 taps that I have on 3/16 gravity and the 60 gallon drum was overflowing....awesome to see but also stinks! not sure how much I lost but I emptied it Tuesday morning. Collected 90 gallons off that line this week in total! I'm loving the 3/16 so far

Kettle Ridge
03-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Collected 90 gallons off that line this week in total! I'm loving the 3/16 so far

Wow 90 gals off 16 taps in a week? Credit the 3/16 AND your trees!

Elky81
03-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Yes I have about 8 of thoes trees that are monster maples! I'm 6'3 and when putting my arms around the tree still have about a foot before my fingers will touch.

pathfinder22
03-09-2018, 06:06 AM
Correction!
125 gallons as of last night!!!!!!

wnybassman
03-09-2018, 06:09 AM
Hard to say what I'll get over the next 5 or 6 days, but all the forecasts are agreeing that by next Friday/Saturday the flood gates will open.

mudr
03-09-2018, 06:22 AM
Hard to say what I'll get over the next 5 or 6 days, but all the forecasts are agreeing that by next Friday/Saturday the flood gates will open.You better stock up on your firewood....i mean...electricity.

wnybassman
03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
My season so far...........

Far left is last run of last year, tested 19%. Typical Very Dark Strong to end my season

Next is first bottling session of the first few runs of this season

Third is immediately after the insane warm week we had, you can see how color tanked.

The next three are what I bottled yesterday. I used the unmarked lighter middle one (beginning of the RO era) to bring fairly dark syrup (end of the non RO era) back into the Robust range.

The last one is the last couple draws I got off the evaporator once I was achieving very frequent draws due to boiling concentrate now. Tested 45%

I am fully expecting to cross back into Amber Rich once we start getting good runs again. My syrup pan was also very dirty from all the dark syrup and will be shiny at the start of the next run also.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-09-2018, 03:41 PM
I am fully expecting to cross back into Amber Rich once we start getting good runs again. My syrup pan was also very dirty from all the dark syrup and will be shiny at the start of the next run also.

Mine went at least amber, but maybe even golden last night. Fresh ice cold sap at 34 degrees might have done it.

Framerjeff
03-09-2018, 05:04 PM
30 taps with jugs Webster /Penfield. 129 gallons this week. Time to Fog up the neighborhood. Most sap I have ever had

bowtie
03-09-2018, 08:10 PM
Down here allegany county it ran a little Wednesday and dripped here today, on buckets. If you had vac you probably had a decent run or two, but today it hit 32 and the forecast for me doesn't look good for at least 5 days. On top of the few hills I have traveled the last few days the temps well below freezing so it may not even have run in higher elevation areas. The difference in temps between locales in western New York can sometimes be 10-15 degrees, and unfortunately I always seem to be on the lower end of that.

SugarHi
03-09-2018, 10:25 PM
Just boiled down 50 gallons and got some pretty light syrup. . Is this because the sap was so cold or are we nearing the end of the season. I’m debating to pull taps. I have to leave town till the 22nd and I’m not sure if it will be over. How long does it go? Thanks!!

Kettle Ridge
03-10-2018, 06:09 AM
You guys around Rochester with a couple dozen taps or so seem to be doing GREAT collecting sap. Maybe your trees could teach mine a thing or two.

Next thing you know you'll be planning for 100 taps next year and shopping for a nice 2x5 Lapierre oil-fired evaporator with a custom-made steam hood & preheater (which I happen to have for sale lol)

Elky81
03-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Yup a 100 taps next year is my plan kettle ridge! And a RO.....and vacuum haha this is very addictive

barnbc76
03-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Got quite a bit of sap despite it being 32 degrees today,boiling 45gal now.

pathfinder22
03-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Finished my 3rd boil this season, had 125 gallons, bottled 2.75 gallons + a pint. 5-1/2 gallons for the season so far.
Buckets are mostly filled again today,,,not sure if I will keep going or not, couple longs weekends with my homemade barrel cookers,,,, I am tired.....

mudr
03-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Everyone keeps getting sap, I've been froze up for a while.

wnybassman
03-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Everyone keeps getting sap, I've been froze up for a while.

Froze here too. Loosens up just enough to get a few drips every day but that's about it. A couple forecasts are saying tomorrow might be in the mid to upper 30's while others are saying right at freezing. Even next weekend is becoming variable now, but should still be pretty good runs I think.

I drained the pans yesterday and have them soaking in permeate after bringing it to a quick boil. Syrup pan has a two day head start and is just as clean as vinegar ever got it. Waiting patiently I guess.

Urban Sugarmaker
03-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Syrup pan has a two day head start and is just as clean as vinegar ever got it.

I'm really amazed by how pure permeate water cleans.

Troutman10
03-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Was away for the snowstorms along the coast for work. Got lucky with the cold weather and not having to tend to sap bc nothing was running. Arrived home to find my bags/buckets overflowing from a day or two prior. Now its catch up time for me. Was also surprised to see everything running well yesterday despite the 32 degree temp. Good luck guys.

wnybassman
03-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Still a lot of nothing going on here. Getting itchy to do something with the sweet I pulled off the evaporator. Have 10 gallons in buckets from the flue pan that 8% concentrate fed (guessing 15%to 20% now) and a full 16qt. stock pot from the syrup pan. Going to be another week before I fire anything up again. Debating whether or not I should just finish all that off and start from scratch again.

Framerjeff
03-12-2018, 11:51 PM
Boiled 80 gallons Saturday and another 55 on Sunday. 20 + hours!! have a bit under 5.5 gallons now at 40%. Should yield about 3 1/4 when finished and is in line with the 1.6% sap I got earlier in season Color looks about the same also ( medium Dark). Definitely need to upgrade pan for next year. Any suggestions for a guy with about 40 taps.

Waynehere
03-13-2018, 05:48 AM
We have been froze up for quite a while now as well. Tried a couple of times turning on the vac pumps, got a little bit, but nothing to collect. Then night time drops down between 8-20 degrees and it never really thaws out till noon or early afternoon... Even this coming weekend doesn't look that great now. Really getting itchy to boil something... :( Had a heat lamp under the flu pans for a few days, but decided to drain the flu pan last weekend seeing the long range forecast.

wnybassman
03-13-2018, 05:58 AM
but decided to drain the flu pan last weekend seeing the long range forecast.

Did you finish it off, or storing it?

mudr
03-13-2018, 06:41 AM
I've got sweet in the pans now for a week. It's been perfect temps for storage- there has been a 1/4 inch layer of ice on top but not fully froze up.

Now if we could only get a run. I would like one or two more. I tapped in early to hit some of the early runs. Then I though i made a mistake. Now I think it was the right decision for me because the past 2 weeks have been fruitless. If I held off I wouldn't be anywhere near my level of production. I need to double check, but I am at around 7.5 gal/tap on gravity so far. Give me one more decent run and it would put me at an average year for sap. Not so much in terms of sugar....

Elky81
03-13-2018, 07:49 AM
"framerjeff". I looked and searched all the options for a new pan this year and I decided to go with a badgerland pan (2x4 flat pan). You can order as just a straight flat pan or you have the option to add on the draw off port and thermometer port. I ordered mine with just the draw off port and the valve and shipped to my door in Greece it was $376. And the best part is there owned by Smoky Lake so you know it's good quality.

Waynehere
03-13-2018, 10:50 AM
Did you finish it off, or storing it?

Just storing it. Should be good with the cold temps. Just didn't want to keep the warm bulb on it that long as it would probably start to get stringy... :(

Urban Sugarmaker
03-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Everything is slow but I have been getting sap in the low to mid 30s. Just something about that ice cold sap that I like. Boiling when it's snowing feels right. Still making amber.

bowtie
03-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Not showing anything in forecast to think it's going to change until next Friday, highs around 40 ,maybe a run this weekend depending on what forecast I look at. No doubt a strange year here in why.

sugarman3
03-13-2018, 06:24 PM
strange forsure,started making amber,then some dk today we made 66 gallons,61 was golden and yelp,snowing hard, 33 degrees ,sap running real good,hoping to make more delicate tomorrow

wnybassman
03-13-2018, 06:49 PM
At the onset of this cold snap I was thinking that were not quite halfway through the season. Now every day that passes with nothing moving I feel as though we are losing another day of the season, because you know once it turns around it will swing too much the other way. It was really starting to look good starting this weekend, but that seems to be all but gone now. Even the one warm day they are still calling for won't even thaw out the ice blocks in my tanks to get any sap out if it did run a little. On the bright side, in the 20 years I have been making syrup I have only gone into April once or twice. It sure looks like we will go into April this year............I hope!