PDA

View Full Version : Maple Venison ?

SevenCreeksSap
01-30-2014, 06:51 PM
We get sausage at a local meat market, small place where they're in the back room cutting while you're in the front room in the freezer. They make sausage with a Maple flavoring and it's pretty good, so I thought why not? I always put sausage in when I'm grinding venison for some good fat, and it always helps flavor and moister cooking. I had a quart of dark, dark syrup we weren't going to eat, so I added about 1/4 cup of the dark cooking syrup into about 3 pounds of ground venison and mixed it in real good, then packaged it for freezing. Haven't tried it yet, probably going to wait for grillin season, which may be when I'm boiling in a few weeks. Anybody ever try maple venison burger?.

Sugarmaker
01-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Never tried it let us know. But the story goes that is how this whole making maple syrup thing started, with the Indians you know?
Regards,
Chris

Greenwich Maple Man
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM
I have often thought of buying a injecting needle and injecting link sausage with syrup. Never tried Maple Venison burger but cook a ton of venison steaks , backstrap etc. in syrup. We just tried the same with rabbit and was very good as well as with bear. Then again what isn't good with syrup?

jgrenier
01-30-2014, 09:33 PM
I use one pint to 25lbs of venison sausage. Real nice maple flavor i would recommend it.

tcross
01-31-2014, 06:16 AM
throw a piece of venison steak in your boiling syrup and cook it that way! **** good! probably not a great idea if you're boiling for commercial sales however.....

madmapler
01-31-2014, 06:39 AM
I've been making maple venison breakfast sausage for years. Its my own recipe and I dont mind saying that its pretty awesome. Anyone who's ever had it agrees. I will post it if anyone wants to try it.

Swagner
01-31-2014, 06:48 AM
When I'm actually able to get a deer. Which hasn't been good here since the big tornado and ice storm. I mix maple bacon into my burger. Making for a very good flavor

madmapler
01-31-2014, 07:10 AM
I wasn't going to admit it but I used to make my sausage with maple bacon. Now that I'm making syrup I changed the recipe to include concentrated syrup.

BnSmaple
01-31-2014, 07:35 AM
I would take that recipe

madmapler
01-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Here it is.-5 lbs.venison-2 lbs. bacon-3 tbls. rubbed sage(I've used regular)-1 tbls.red pepper-2 tbls. black pepper-2 tbls. kosher salt-1 tbls. nutmeg -1 and1/3 cups maple syrup.(I boil it down some so the sausage is'nt too soft) Grind the venison and bacon together in a hamburg grinder. Mix it together well adding the syrup. While making sausage keep every thing as cool as possible. Cold is best. The flavor will stand out much better. After grinding the meat chill it before adding ingredients. Mix other ingredients together in a little water(1/4 cup) and blend into the meat. Knead by hand for a while to blend it all together real well. Thats it. I make rolls about 2 to 2.5" and about 10" wide and roll it up in cellophane for the freezer. The only other thing is to make sure the ingredients are measured accurately. A little too much of anything can ruin it. Try a sample and add small amounts if you want to change it.

SevenCreeksSap
01-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Good ideas for continuing on with this. glad to hear it's not too off the wall of an idea. I've read some other ideas about cooking some things in your sap. I'm not much for boiled meat myself, though have wondered about using sap in place of water in some things.

huntingken111
01-31-2014, 07:12 PM
When I put pork or venison roast in crock pot I also dump some dark syrup on top and it really brings out flavor.

lpakiz
01-31-2014, 10:46 PM
Try a little in BBQ or in beef (venison?) stew

slammer3364
02-01-2014, 12:28 AM
We put in sausage patties one year but it bled out when we grilled it,havent tried it yet when run in casing. We always do throw some links in evaporator when were boiling taste great