PDA

View Full Version : First batch made

gibsonman
01-24-2014, 08:09 AM
We tapped some of the trees last week and got a decent run on Monday. Maybe 40 gallons or so. Then everything froze up again. We boiled all day yesterday and made about 1/2 gallon of really light syrup. Pan has been sweetened. All we need now is for a little warm air to come back this way.

kiteflyingeek
01-24-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm jealous that you've already tapped!! I'm heading out on vacation in a few days so I am not going to tap -- plus nothing flows at 7*F!

But I'm looking forward to getting taps running once I return.

How many taps are you running, gibsonman?

--andrew

gibsonman
01-28-2014, 01:45 PM
So far we have tapped 19. I work for the nature center and we have tapped the trees here for our sugarbush festival for over 30 years. After that first run i haven't seen a drop of sap. Hopefully we get some warmer weather.

sawyerkirk
01-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Do you work at Wesselman woods? I always wondered how they can wait so late in the year for the festival.

gibsonman
01-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Yep been here 6 years. The way are trees usually run we are finishing up by the time the festival gets here. This year may be different. The way this year is going we may still be collecting sap in March. I'm hoping we will get a run this weekend then we can boil again next week.

the old guy
02-06-2014, 06:54 AM
Hey gibsonman! We are just a few miles east of you. We are the cup creek valley maple sugar makers. One of our crew hangs around wesselman some (bob dodd-great guy and excellent sugarmaker). Good to know that maple syrup is alive and well here in southern in. Good morning and good sugaring!

gibsonman
02-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah i know Bob. He comes over and helps me deal with all the deer we have here. Have you had any runs of sap yet? We had that first run then another small one this past weekend but that's it. I decided not to tap at my house this year. I burned a whole in my pan last year and never got around to getting it fixed. I don't have any sugar maples at home just reds but last year i made 1.5 gallons off of them. Nice to hear from you.

Ausable
02-06-2014, 08:47 AM
We tapped some of the trees last week and got a decent run on Monday. Maybe 40 gallons or so. Then everything froze up again. We boiled all day yesterday and made about 1/2 gallon of really light syrup. Pan has been sweetened. All we need now is for a little warm air to come back this way.

Congratulations. --- Always a good feeling - When the first batch of the year is made. ----Mike----

the old guy
02-06-2014, 09:33 AM
No, we haven't tapped yet! Made some maple sugar from left over last years syrup. Just can't seem to get much going with the weather. LM sugarbush tapped some the 27th of Jan., but haven't heard much about their results. Everything is frozen. I fear that when it breaks, we'll be flooded with sap, but like John says "that's a good thing". Happy sugaring!

The Birdman
02-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Haven't put a tap in and the way the 10 day forecast looks, no need to think about it. I may just set this one out, good luck to those that are. Pat :(

kiteflyingeek
02-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Whew!

I've been worried that I'm WAAAAY too late in getting my taps in the trees this year. I'm still working on the upgrades (new arch, pans, sugarhouse) so I'm a bit behind. But, it sounds like I may have missed one big run and otherwise the season is still ahead of us.

Hopefully, it won't go from 25*F to 55*F and make us skip the sugar season. That will be VERY disappointing. But we have to take what nature gives.

--andrew

johnnytown
03-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Please tell Bob that Johnnytown made his first gallon of syrup. We've been good friends for over 40 years and I'm not sure about that " good guy" description . But he is a great maker of dry blackberry wine for deer camp. Good luck with the rest of the season .