PDA

View Full Version : Tapped on Saturday

DougM
02-04-2013, 06:37 AM
We got 135 out of 175 taps in on Saturday. We would have gotten them all in but spent a lot of time clearing trees that had fallen over the summer, I think the most we've ever had down. Fortunately none of them were our maples.

hopefully the weather will cooperate later this week and we can finish tapping Wednesday and make syrup next weekend.

ericjeeper
02-05-2013, 08:27 PM
We are forecasted some good sugaring weather.

DougM
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Yes, it looks good for this week, but the wind today is not helping.

We got 275 gallons Friday from about 150 taps, but didn't have time to collect them all. We got about 80 from the other 25 taps on Saturday.
285 collected yesterday, my partner did the collecting so I'm not sure from how many trees. Saturday we made about 3.75 gallons of syrup slightly darker than fancy, but lighter than medium.

Now that the pans are sweetened we should be off & running on Wednesday when we boil again.

DougM
02-14-2013, 03:09 PM
We made 3.75 gallons last Saturday that we bottled yesterday. I'm not sure how much the total produced yesterday was, we didn't get it all bottled, but so far we have right at 6 gallons bottled. It looks like we have another 5 or so in the finisher and canner, that will be bottled Saturday.

Unfortunately we didn't get out to collect until 5:30. The bags ranged from running over to about 4", but all the trees were running hard. We only collected those that were around half full, but by the time we ran out of daylight we had 220 gallons. With the warm day today if they all run full we'll be about out of storage at the barn.

The best part is it looks like our work & small investment lengthening our stack last year paid off; we ran 427 gallons through in 9 hours, about 47 gallons/hour, when last year it was a good day if we were getting 30.