PDA

View Full Version : Looks like this is going to be a big week down here in So. Indiana

HAHA I 1
02-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Weather looks to be perfect all week for a good, strong run. Hope to get lots of high boiling rates from my new flue pan! Went out yesterday and cleaned out all the buckets so we are ready to go.

sawyerkirk
02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I just got back in from checking my buckets, dripdripdripdrip etc my arch is all ready, new pan is in place, My sap hauler (1985 Honda big red) wouldn't start so I may be carrying buckets this week. I've got a guy coming over tonight to see whats wrong. Couldn't have happened at a worse time I'm on Vacation this week and really need to haul sap.

sawyerkirk
02-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Got 40 gallons of 50 taps in 20 or so hours, is that good? still waiting on the rest of my taps, gonna start cooking Wednesday morning. Still haven't got my sap hauler fixed, hopefully soon Getting tired of packing buckets.

HAHA I 1
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Yep! Thats a good start. I was away at a meeting most of the day, so I didn't get to gather. But there is a bunch of sap in them. We are gathering in the morning before work/school, so I will report back with results.

ahowes
02-08-2012, 05:42 AM
I expected big things yesterday, but probably only averaged 3 pints per tap.

Indiana-Jones
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Collected 50 gallons from 75 taps in two days, not too good but the cool weather has my hopes up. A little run started yesterday and ran into this morning. I have about 25 more taps that I'm going to get in this weekend. Next week is looking good, we are going down into the low teens in the next couple of days and a nice thaw.

Tomorrow is the same day that we tapped last year, so maybe we can get some normal weather from here on out.

Happy sapping.

sawyerkirk
02-15-2012, 04:31 AM
Looks like the last part of this week is going to be a good run, I have another 50 to put out, and 200gals. in the tank to cook. I'm really hoping the trees don't bud to early this year.

sawyerkirk
02-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Had a good day Thursday, I went back to the woods to set some more taps not expecting to empty buckets, but I did. looks friday should Rock Still waiting on my sap hauler, the guy working on it said it'd probably be ready Sat.

Indiana-Jones
02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Had a good day Thursday, I went back to the woods to set some more taps not expecting to empty buckets, but I did. looks friday should Rock Still waiting on my sap hauler, the guy working on it said it'd probably be ready Sat.

We had a bit of a run here in W. Terre Haute. The trees that have been giving did and the trees that I have been waiting to start still didn't do much. Some big trees just are not dripping much at all.

I have big hopes for today.

One thing that I learned to look for is the blue sap bags leaking, I have had 2 bags that leaked at the seam. I wonder who the manufacture is for the blue bags.

Good luck on the sap hauler.

HAHA I 1
02-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Gathered 150 gal this morning. Some were dry, so I suspect the extreme warm weather we had has stopped some of the taps. We are going to tap another 20 trees this evening when I get off work, and might even hit another 15 or so tomorrow. We are way behind where we want (and need) to be from a syrup standpoint, so we might increase the number of taps in the woods. With our new flue pan we can handle more taps.

DougM
02-17-2012, 02:26 PM
My partner just finished collecting, we have 690 gallons in the tanks...the next few days could be a really long.