PDA

View Full Version : I'm Done

Gandolf
03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Ran out of fire wood.........

This season:

110 Taps
1467 Gallons of sap collected, some had to be dumped because I couldnt process it quick enough (seems like I commited some kind of sin there)
20 gallons of syrup produced - mostly B, Dark but oh so good....

Now its time to start pulling taps, cleaning gear, and thinking about improvments for next year

adk1
03-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Ran out of fire wood.........

This season:

110 Taps
1467 Gallons of sap collected, some had to be dumped because I couldnt process it quick enough (seems like I commited some kind of sin there)
20 gallons of syrup produced - mostly B, Dark but oh so good....

Now its time to start pulling taps, cleaning gear, and thinking about improvments for next year

you amde 20 gallons on a half pint!

Gandolf
03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Yep!

I read somewhere on this site where one of the users said "I caught the sickness". Well, I guess both my wife and I did as well.

It was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun too. We both enjoy being able to produce a product that folks like from our own property/resources.

That being said, it doesnt mean that I'm not considering a 2x6........ I'm not crazy, just a little touched......

adk1
03-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Yep!

I read somewhere on this site where one of the users said "I caught the sickness". Well, I guess both my wife and I did as well.

It was a lot of work, but it was a lot of fun too. We both enjoy being able to produce a product that folks like from our own property/resources.

That being said, it doesnt mean that I'm not considering a 2x6........ I'm not crazy, just a little touched......

excellent. I am ordering a WF MAson 2x4 this summer. cant wait!

Dennis H.
03-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Holy cow! 20 gals from a 1/2pint. Man you must have sent some serious time next to that evap this year.

Sounds like you had a good year.

DougM
03-10-2011, 06:37 PM
We're almost there, too. It looks like after this weekend that will be it.

I can't remember how much sap we've collected, but we're up to 60 gallons of syrup from 147 taps. We ran out of quart jugs & had to scramble for quart jars to put it all in.

Ours has been mostly dark amber or B as well, but we've made way more than our previous high, 44 gallons on 135 taps.

buckeye gold
03-10-2011, 10:15 PM
Yup it's been a good season here in southern Ohio too and I figure i might get one more boil then shut down. I understand your commitment as I have made 15.5 gallons on a half pint with 50 taps and missed 5 days of boiling because I was sick. I dumped enough sap to have made 20 gallons. If I get another boil or two I'll still finish with around 17-19 gallons. It's helped to have good sugar percentage, but still seems like a second marriage LOL. well done from a Buckeye to a Hoosier