PDA

View Full Version : Southern Indiana guys - post up what you get 2/23 and 2/24

HAHA I 1
02-22-2011, 06:09 PM
I am anxious to see if we get anything out of this sub 32deg night. Went out and tapped a few more trees just in case. I also found the biggest sugar maple on the property - never knew it was there! I need to measure it, but its about 4' across at the base.

The Birdman
02-22-2011, 06:16 PM
I hope so it's been a slow year. This week looks good.

HAHA I 1
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Haven't been out to check yet, but its about 40F, so I hope its running. I am going to go out and tap another 3 trees so I can break the 100 tap mark for the first time in just a bit.

Mark72
02-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Mine are running pretty good. I have some trees that are starting to decline in output. This is close to the worst weather ever. Too warm! Everyone down here is also making grade b now Right?

Mark

HAHA I 1
02-23-2011, 03:05 PM
Mostly grade B right now, but its THE BEST.

sawyerkirk
02-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Got 20 gallons on 25 taps since noon on the 22nd. got 10 gallons on the 21st.

Indiana-Jones
02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Just finished gathering my 18 taps. I'm guessing 20 gallons and they seem to be running well. This is in a 24 hour period.

Yes, the cooler weather has helped a bunch. No ants or moths today, that is a bonus.

This is my first year, so I don't have much experience to compare this to.

My location is very near where the Wabash River becomes the Indiana/Illinois state line.

the old guy
02-23-2011, 07:32 PM
WE HAD TO PULL OUR TAPS LAST WEEKEND. 60 DEGREE WEATHER --ALMOST 70 MADE THE HOLES HEAL TOO FAST, WE ARE ON HOLD, CLEANED ALL THE BUCKETS AND ARE NOW WAITING FOR FAVORABLE WEATHER,, GRADE "B" IS NOT A GOOD OPTION FOR US BECAUSE THE SYRUP JUST BECOMES TOO HARD TO GET THROUGH FILTERS AND ALL THE EXTRA WORK DOES NOT PAY. WE SURELY NEED ABOUT THREE OR FOUR DAYS IN A ROW WITH SUB FREEZING TEMPS OR A GOOD OLD FASHIONED SUGAR SNOW. FRESH TAPPED TREES WILL RUN ALL THE WAY TILL THE END OF MARCH IF THE WEATHER BECOMES RIGHT. BUT TILL THEN UNLESS YOU HAVE A GOOD VACUUM PUMP AND A GOOD MAINLINE YOU ARE PRACTICALLY SHUT DOWN.

AND HA HA WHAT GOOD LUCK IN FINDING THAT BIG SUGAR MAPLE. I HOPE THAT IT GIVES YOU 6% SUGAR SAP AND RUNS YOUR BUCKETS OVER EVERY DAY. A 4-FT TRUNK WOW!

the old guy

ahowes
02-24-2011, 05:45 AM
If they predict some cold weather in the near future, I may go cut some new elderberry sticks and expand. I think my others are healing up as OldGuy says. I only got 6 gallons out of 25 taps last night. My hog lot trees are a complete waste, so I will move those today regardless.
The problem with elderberry sticks is that it takes a lot of labor to cut and prepare them. Also, if you try to move one to a new tree, it often cracks or breaks when it's pulled out. Next year, I will have store-bought ones with buckets. I'm also tired of the milk jugs being too small to hold all of the sap on good days. It's a bummer when I'm a couple of hours late running them and I see that they are running over.
Oh well. It's only my second year and I'm learning a lot. I had the capacity to do 50+ taps this year with the new evaporator and underestimated.

Gandolf
02-24-2011, 11:47 AM
I got 59 gallons last night from 112 taps. From the look of a few jugs hanging near the homestead, I think the sap was running all night as well. I havent got the figures yet, but I expect to see at least 80+ gallons today.

HAHA I 1
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
We got 115 gallons off of 97 taps today at lunch. For what its worth, the 6 that I tapped the other day had a LOT of sap in them - they were all at least 3/4 full in a 5gal bucket, most were at the top. I think Old Guy has the right idea.

Mark72
02-24-2011, 08:49 PM
I checked the bags tonight. Wide variation in sap. Been sick for a few days so I will try to gather tomorrow. It is defiantly going to be grade b If I don't dump it.

Mark

ahowes
02-25-2011, 05:36 AM
I got about 18 gallons off of 25 taps in the last 24 hours. I didn't get much from the day run yesterday, so I moved many of the taps to new trees (in the horizontal rain) last night. I had to run them at 3:30 this morning because of all-day meeting today. Much more sap in the new taps.

I will have store-bought spiles and 4-gallon buckets next year. It is difficult to gather sap in the dark with a headlight and bad weather because your milk jugs are running over. Not to mention an extra hour of sleep would be nice...

Indiana-Jones
02-25-2011, 08:45 AM
The run Wednesday night into Thursday was big. I had blue bags overflowing last night. We have been worried that the 15 taps that we had would not make enough to hit my 5 gallon syrup target. Added 5 more taps and then a big run??

Now I have 100+ gallons to boil on two turkey fryers and a Coleman stove.

Anyone know of a traveling sap boiler? Ha Ha

Next year I'm going to have a 2' X 6' wood fired something. So if you hear of a good deal, hook me up.

The Birdman
02-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm up to 15 gal finished so far. Indiana jones I am thinking of getting a larger evaportor next year may sale my 2x6

Indiana-Jones
02-25-2011, 12:09 PM
How may taps are you up to and what is your 2X 6?

This is my first year for for this and I have not really looked my woods over for a tap count. I'm guessing, 200 taps could be reached pretty easy.

A large Hobby size with a continuous flow pan arrangement.

PS. Anyone nearby have a pan that I could buy that I could marry to a barrel stove ASAP.

Thanks

The Birdman
02-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Its a leader 3ft syrup pan 3ft drop flue. I run 200 tap but would like to go to 500- 600. I'm getting @40gph with it.

sawyerkirk
02-25-2011, 03:14 PM
My taps have been in about 2 weeks. so, I guess my question is "should I move my taps to a different spot on the tree"? I am pretty happy with the syrup we've gotten so far, but with the temp change will it be better from new holes(same trees)?

ahowes
02-25-2011, 05:01 PM
Be careful about tapping too many. There are rules for max taps per tree (based on size), I'm sure you can find them on this site. The only reason I moved mine was because the taps had been in a long time and I was not getting good returns now. Whether that had to do with warmweather/healing or just poor runs, I don't know. Since I had more available trees, it was easy and painless to move them.
If they've only been in for two weeks, I imagine you'll be just fine (that's based on only a second-season novice opinion.)

Hope you get a good run tomorrow...

Bemis
02-25-2011, 07:32 PM
The run Wednesday night into Thursday was big. I had blue bags overflowing last night. We have been worried that the 15 taps that we had would not make enough to hit my 5 gallon syrup target. Added 5 more taps and then a big run??

Now I have 100+ gallons to boil on two turkey fryers and a Coleman stove.

Anyone know of a traveling sap boiler? Ha Ha

Next year I'm going to have a 2' X 6' wood fired something. So if you hear of a good deal, hook me up.

lol. I specifically remember warning you to start small. :lol: I think we've all been there, and it's an excuse to upgrade for the next year.

The Birdman
02-25-2011, 07:34 PM
I have had taps in before starting from 1st of january still got good sap in march.

Bemis
02-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I have had taps in before starting from 1st of january still got good sap in march.

Me too. Tap early in Indiana. It's either running or frozen in January and February, and then straight to summer in March. Get it while you can. Never had one dry up or go buddy.

The Birdman
02-25-2011, 10:20 PM
I was looking at the softmaple today the buds are starting to open. It's almost over We'll have to move north in march. Their just getting started:rolleyes:

Logan Cabin
02-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Just got back from boiling at our Kentucky place. Had 6 taps there, and have processed 120 gallons of sap down to 11-12 gallons of concentrate. Trees in KY ran nicely Tues/Wed, pulled the taps when we left.

My wife was checking the dozen or so taps in place at home while we were gone. Good sport she was, as the spigots opened up this week. Have 80 gallons of sap awaiting a boil.

Birdman, I see we're both in Monroe County. Love to see a real evaporator in action sometime!

Mike

HAHA I 1
02-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Birdman - if you sell your 2x6, please let me know. I am wanting a faster unit.

Indiana-Jones
02-26-2011, 07:50 AM
While boiling on the turkey fryers last night my oldest son and I cut up the barrel stove in the garage. Installed an army surplus 20" X 17" X 6" aluminum pan. It went well, put a blade in a circular saw backwards and made some nice cuts.

We used some fiberglass rope that is used to make gaskets on wood stove doors to help seal around the pan. I'm a bit concerned about the fiberglass particles getting in the sap. We had little bits of it all over and we were trying to be careful. I'm thinking that I will get some high temp stove paint and spray it so that it seals and sticks together.

Today a test boil in the garage before we move it out to the wood shed and getto rig a flue pipe.

But first, some pancakes and sausage.

The Birdman
02-26-2011, 07:58 AM
log cabin
I will be boiling later today or tomorow for sure. You are more than welcome. I'm on Mt Ebal Rd give me a call 812-606-7645 Pat.

The Birdman
02-26-2011, 07:59 AM
HaHa I will let you know when I sale.

Logan Cabin
02-26-2011, 07:35 PM
log cabin
I will be boiling later today or tomorow for sure. You are more than welcome. I'm on Mt Ebal Rd give me a call 812-606-7645 Pat.

Pat,

That would be great, thanks for the offer. We'll be boiling Sunday at my friend's in Greene County, but maybe later in the week or next weekend. I'll give you a call sometime.

At the 5 gph rate of my homemade arch I may want to offload some sap to you by then!

The Birdman
02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I hope the sap runs. If you get to much bring it down we'll boil it.

Indiana-Jones
02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Much happier boiling on wood. Worked all day getting the barrel stove and stove pipe set up. Why when they make stove pipe it is not made to fit together. It looks like the manufacture knew that it is suppose to fit, but what a battle.

Still don't have a system all figured out on how to get max production, but I'm not firing turkey burners any longer. Any tips on the batch method will be appreciated.

The pan that mated to the barrel is perfect for setting a banquet pan across for a per-heater. We got it a going and I think we are getting two or three GPH. I guess I need to start measuring so that I can get some solid figures.

I will try to add a picture.
Good Night

The Birdman
02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Indy
My first year, I took a 50 gal barrel and cut it off @ 8 in. just flipped it upside down cut a hole in the bottom part to throw wood in. $8.00 evaporator

HAHA I 1
02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Collected another 50 gallons yesterday. My son's soccer team came over to see the whole process. We let them run after all the buckets.

The Birdman
02-28-2011, 08:31 AM
A couple days this week will have freezeing temp. get that sap all :D

Indiana-Jones
02-28-2011, 11:18 AM
lol. I specifically remember warning you to start small. :lol: I think we've all been there, and it's an excuse to upgrade for the next year.

Birdman, sorry that I have not gotten back to the thread, but boiling sap has now became a new second full time job. Yes, I remember the 10 or 12 taps advice. I think I need to make a deal with a saw mill on scrap.

Yesterday, we canned 8 pints and 20 half pints. Learned one very important lesson. Never put a lid on a pan of syrup while it is on the stove, never! Turned my wife's stove into a lolly pop in 30 seconds. Added 2 hours to the processing time.
Traveled up to Parke County Sunday a enjoyed their Maple Festival. Checked out two operations, one was top of the line RO 100% stainless operation, fired with fuel oil. Didn't see any steam or syrup till it hit the bottles. The second was a massive wood fired 4 X 16 ft steaming monster built into the side of a hill. Been there for 50 years.

Cost up there: $15.00 to $18.00 Qt.

Lotsa fun.

The Birdman
02-28-2011, 08:55 PM
boil overs it happens.

Indiana-Jones
03-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Collected 25 gallons this evening on 19 taps, in 24 hours. Still dripping good. Yesterday when I collected there was no dripping at all. The cold last night was just what was required.

I have 75 to 80 gallons to boil. Tomorrow I plan to skip out of work at noon and see how big of a dent I can put into it.

Added sand and fire brick inside of the barrel stove, hoping to get the fire closer to the pan.

The Birdman
03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Indy
If you have 80 gal already, You might want to take the hole day off. Sap still running good @ 9:00 pm here. If you drink beer better buy a case. Just finished boiling about 8:30 and ready for tomorow.

ahowes
03-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I boiled away 15 gallons in about 2 hours (including fire-starting) today, so the burn rate on my evap is pretty good for an amateur and concrete blocks.

It's been a strange year - some of my best trees didn't give me a drip in the last 24 hours, while some others are giving me a gallon every 7 hours. I got about 10 gallons from 25 taps in four hours this afternoon.

Indiana-Jones
03-02-2011, 06:45 PM
I boiled away 15 gallons in about 2 hours (including fire-starting) today, so the burn rate on my evap is pretty good for an amateur and concrete blocks.

It's been a strange year - some of my best trees didn't give me a drip in the last 24 hours, while some others are giving me a gallon every 7 hours. I got about 10 gallons from 25 taps in four hours this afternoon.

Please enlighten me, I have been firing my barrel stove sense 10:30 this AM and I'm lucky if I boiled 35 gallons. How big is your pan? Mine is 18X20.

The Birdman
03-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Indy
how deep are you running your sap. Try keeping it about 1-1.5 in boils harder and gph go's up. Sap should run all night,10 day forecast looks like we will have another week.

Indiana-Jones
03-02-2011, 07:58 PM
I have been running 3 or more inches deep. I'm thinking that I'm stupid. When the boil gets a going good, a couple of inches deep, I drowned it.

Thanks for the info. It is absolutely amazing how someone can tell what a dumb a$$ is doing without seeing it.

Thanks twice.

The Birdman
03-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Made the same mistake my first year. Ran about 5in deep took for ever.

Indiana-Jones
03-02-2011, 08:51 PM
What kind of birds are you interested in? We have a few bald eagles that nest in the area. Once in a great while one will coast by.

Are you associated with IU? My wife is an instructor at IUPUI. Art History.

I'm down to a couple inches deep.

The Birdman
03-03-2011, 07:12 AM
I raised Pheasant, quail and partridge. Feed price's went through the roof so started in the honeybees. I live on lake monroe we have a few bald eagles around us.

ahowes
03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Please enlighten me, I have been firing my barrel stove sense 10:30 this AM and I'm lucky if I boiled 35 gallons. How big is your pan? Mine is 18X20.

I have four steam tray pans. The very back one near the flue I keep deeper than the rest since it's mainly a pre-heater. Run it about 3 inches. The front three pans run 1.5, sometimes 2. I know that really monitoring it at 1.5 or so is optimum, but I want zero chance of running dry or shooting past the near-syrup point. That fire is roaring and it doesn't take long to get out of control. I have a square stainless scoop that TheOldGuy gave me and I scoop forward as the level goes down in the front one.

I need to make some engineering changes for next year. I think year #3 will see me finally being near-optimum for my small quantity, budget, and concrete block set-up.

My pans are all 6" deep and 12" x 20" or so.

Indiana-Jones
03-03-2011, 02:58 PM
You have a few more square inches of pan and a better understanding of the correct procedure. What is your smoke stack situation?
I know one think for sure, next year is going to different. Doing it the way that I'm boiling now is like a second full time job. If you can't tell I'm getting a bit worn down.

Thanks for the info.

The Birdman
03-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Started boiling this morning about a half hour into it. Every things going great, then I start hearing voice's. By the time I got to the door in popped a fireman. He thought my garage was on fire he already had truck's on the way.
I think my season over very little sap ran today.

Indiana-Jones
03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Sap was slow today here too. A couple of trees gave a gallon, most a quart or two. I still have 70 -80 gallons to boil. If this is the end of 2011 season it won't make me too angry. I will have hit my 5 gallon goal for my rookie season.

I work on a lot of communications equipment for firemen, known many for decades. There is more than one reason that people volunteer to run into burning buildings.

Now we look for mushrooms!!

The Birdman
03-03-2011, 09:53 PM
I think I'll wait till monday to pull my taps. Freezeing temps for the weekend. We still have a month before mushrooms. Think we're going gold panning tomorow. If I hit it big you can have my evaporator Indy.:rolleyes:

ahowes
03-04-2011, 06:15 AM
I have a 10 ft stack, but I think the 2' per foot length rule says that I should have 12 since my evap is 6' long. It works pretty well though.
I got just a bit of sap last night - mainly only ran the jugs just to keep the little bit of sap from sitting in there and souring before the weekend. About 2/3 of what I did get was dumped on the ground because it was very discolored and had several bugs.
Hate to see it end, but am looking forward to the engineering tweaks that will happen before next year. As always, wait till next year!

HAHA I 1
03-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Started boiling this morning about a half hour into it. Every things going great, then I start hearing voice's. By the time I got to the door in popped a fireman. He thought my garage was on fire he already had truck's on the way.
I think my season over very little sap ran today.

We had the fire dept out here a couple weeks ago, but it was because someone in the family dumped hot ashes out into the woods and set them on fire.

Logan Cabin
03-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Just gathered under ten gallons from 15 taps, about 20 hours since the last collection. Probably will have about 100 gallons of sap left to boil when I fire up again on Sunday. Going to set up in my back yard in town, so it's possible I may see firemen as well, or hear from a zoning compliance officer!

With fiberglass gaskets under the pan edges, we got nearly 7 gallons per hour out of the file cabinet arch. Didn't think we'd get to that point so I was really pleased. Still lot's of finishing & bottling to do.

Birdman, will you be boiling Saturday? I'll easily have 40-50 gallons of sap to offload if you're still interested. Have to run down to Kentucky early next week so I don't know that I'll fire up again after Sunday.

It's been great to hear about everyone's experiences here. What a great resource!

The Birdman
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
If I get any sap. Bring it down i can boil it. do you have it iced down it may sour if not

Logan Cabin
03-04-2011, 07:28 PM
If I get any sap. Bring it down i can boil it. do you have it iced down it may sour if not

Should be OK, got frozen water bottles in it, along with some reflectix insulation wrapped around the barrels.

Only thing I've got going on tomorrow for sure is to go back over to Greene Co. and bring the arch back home. What's a good time to come by? I'll find your phone # post again and try to call if I don't see a reply tonight.

Thanks!

Mike

Indiana-Jones
03-05-2011, 09:12 AM
I have a 10 ft stack, but I think the 2' per foot length rule says that I should have 12 since my evap is 6' long. It works pretty well though.
I got just a bit of sap last night - mainly only ran the jugs just to keep the little bit of sap from sitting in there and souring before the weekend. About 2/3 of what I did get was dumped on the ground because it was very discolored and had several bugs.
Hate to see it end, but am looking forward to the engineering tweaks that will happen before next year. As always, wait till next year!
Last night we figured out how to get a better boil out of the barrel stove, I guess I have been cheap on using wood and not splitting it into small enough sticks. By cramming it full of 1"x1" sticks and lowering the sap to a couple of inches, we managed to keep it roaring fairly well. Did a 10 hour run last night and made a nice batch.

The end is near, I still have one drum full to boil today and the bags have some, but with all of the rain last night, maybe I should dump them and quit. They are probably half water.

Thanks for the info on your rig. I'm like you thinking about tweaking things for next year.

sawyerkirk
03-05-2011, 11:25 AM
going to be a slow syrup day, by next year, we'll be indoors!

HAHA I 1
03-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Moving indoors this year was HUGE for us. This summer we are making our sugar shack larger by about 12' and are getting a flue pan. Next year we want to go to 200 taps, give or take a few (we are at 100 this year).

We are pulling taps tomorrow. We had to dump out about 30 gallons of sap that had soured this morning and should be finishing our last 2 gallons of syrup tonight and tomorrow. We will end up with about 25 gallons of finished syrup.

Mark72
03-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Matt, I'm glad to hear that you have had a good year! I made a special trip to the bush to gather that last meager amount so it wouldn't sour in the bags. I am going to hold out for a couple more days as it is supposed to freeze again tonight. So far for the year I have gathered 1100 gals. of sap off of my 106 taps. Pretty good considering the crazy weather we have had.It's kind of hard keeping track on the run how much syrup it has made while working with another sugar house. We have it all charted by date, quantity and sugar content. We just need to set down and go over the data. Should be somewhere around 20 gal.

Mark

Indiana-Jones
03-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Pull my taps today. They were still dripping OK. I'm a bit worn down with the grind. It is like Lucy and Ethel in the chocolate factory.

I made the 5 gallons that I set out to get and I'm hooked on sugaring.

Next spring we will see what happens.

ahowes
03-07-2011, 05:44 AM
I am done. I have enough syrup, but plan on making much more next year. This was my first year with a "real" evaporator and it improved things tremendously. Now, with some minor adjustments, I can greatly improve things next year.
I will also use tubing drops into buckets so that I am not forced to run so often. The milk jugs don't hold enough. My widely varying work schedule meant that I had to collect sap in the dark many times. While enjoyable in a way, it shouldn't be needed so often.

Kev
03-07-2011, 07:25 AM
I have taps not in use for the same reason. with gas for the truck at nearly 3.50 I just can not see driving to town and running around emptying 1 gal jugs. just to many trips. besides my sap doners like seeing the old fashioned buckets in their yards. I do not think many would feel the same about gallon milk jugs or plastic buckets. Although I have not asked them...
I had to take 2 years off due to a shoulder prob. I think the people are as happy as I am that I am able to do it again.. these year I have had people I have never asked, stopping me in the street offering their trees! you think its cause i give the people that own the trees i tap some syrup? LOL
glad you like your evap...

HAHA I 1
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
We ended up with 1358 gallons of sap and 24.5 gallons of syrup on 91 taps. We actually added 8 more taps for the last 2 weeks and they ran much heavier than the others at the end.

Indiana-Jones
03-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Just finished our canning. 18 pints and 44 half pints. There was a couple of pints that were handed out as near syrup for samples or call it bribes for labor. The spillage and boil over, maybe we were close to six gallons.

This being our first year we had some start up costs, but next year if we don't change anything much, the only thing that we will need is firewood. I thinking that I'm not ready to move up to a big store bought rig yet. I need to pay some dues and build a new barrel stove and a home made tin pan for 2012.

A barrel stove with an ash door and fire grate, a pan that is as long as the whole stove and the flue pipe out the back of the barrel. Maybe a small fan to force a little air. A custom deluxe flue pipe preheater.

Thanks for everyones help and companionship for the season.

The Birdman
03-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I think spring is almost here. Don't see any freezing temp in ten day forcast.

Indiana-Jones
03-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Birdman, saw the gold panning post. I pan too. Been a GPAA member for 7 or so years. It is a great hobby, goes good with camping and hiking. Wife and I make a few trips each year your direction to the Morgan Monroe State Forest. I have been to Gatesville a few times for club meetings. Day trips and camping.

I have a Whites MXT metal detector, a sluice box and other non-power equipment. It is like a second childhood, load up a cooler and go on a treasure hunt.

The Birdman
03-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Indy have you found any thing yet. We may have to get together and go, I haven't been yet but think it will be a blast. We are thinking about a dredge and hit the small streams.

Indiana-Jones
03-08-2011, 01:28 PM
I have found enough gold in the last seven years to maybe form a 22 caliber bullet so that I could blow my brains out. We have been all over the country prospecting, just really don't get to spend much time. I have a stream 100ft from my front door that has gold in every pan, not much just a little.

I have to go and perform a feat of magic and repair a communications system that is not broke.

Be back at 5:00::o

Getting together would be a great idea.

The Birdman
03-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Indy how close are you to the river.

Indiana-Jones
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Indy how close are you to the river.

I'm about 1 and a half miles from the river as the crow flies. We have access to it. Sometimes we put on a day pack and take a walk. The Wabash here is big and sandy, no bottom or rock to catch the gold. If fishing is your plan we can hook you up. There is 900 acres of bottoms for sale just south of the I-70 bridge. It would be a great sugar bush for Silvers. You could have 20,000 plus taps. The only problem is collecting sap in a boat. The river is up, maybe 5 foot deep back in the woods.

Morgan County is one of the best in Indiana for gold panning. IMHO. If you had access to private land north of US 46 with a stream with bedrock, that is what you need.
Many years ago there where people tiring to make a living panning gold in Morgan Co.

The Birdman
03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
All the creek and streams Around here are loaded with silver maple. If they didn't bud so early. Like you said collect sap with a boat.

ldashton
03-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi - I have 35 acres of woods or so in Morgan County and have bought some taps to try and get enough sap from my maples to make syrup with my grand-daughters. Is it too late this weekend to go out and tap trees and get sap? Thanks much in advance for any advice.

Indiana-Jones
03-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi - I have 35 acres of woods or so in Morgan County and have bought some taps to try and get enough sap from my maples to make syrup with my grand-daughters. Is it too late this weekend to go out and tap trees and get sap? Thanks much in advance for any advice.

Hello, I would think that you may as well try. Look for hard maples that have not budded. Try ones that are on the north side of a hill or ravine. How many taps do you have and what is your goal? You might get a couple of quarts to a gallons a day of sap per tap, so 40 to 1 on sap to syrup.

I'm no expert by a long shot, there will be someone here that may chime in with better info.

Good luck.

PS Got any bed rock?

The Birdman
03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
you may get some sap Sunday. give it a try.

Mark72
03-12-2011, 07:53 PM
It's official, pulled my taps today and gathered the last tiny run took to the sugar house. All total 1145 gals of sap for the season off of 106 taps. 21 gals of syrup. Ready to get back to work on my 3 x 8 and new sugar house for next year!

Mark