+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a Steam Away Vapour Lock?

Default Can a Steam Away Vapour Lock?

Was watching the sight glass last night while boiling,started off higher than I prefer,then when things really got rolling noticed the sap was only 1/4” above the flues. Went and held down on the float thinking I might have to do some adjustments,but there would be no reason for that. Sap was coming in from steam away,but maybe not as fast as it should. Got maybe 1/2” above crimps,then fired again and level getting dangerously close to top of crimps. Held down on the float for the duration of that fire,temperature of sap from steam away was 192, got down to about 186, then seemed to be okay rest of the boil. One good thing is that it was first boil and no syrup drawing off ,or could have been some mad scrambling
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Was watching the sight glass last night while boiling,started off higher than I prefer,then when things really got rolling noticed the sap was only 1/4” above the flues. Went and held down on the float thinking I might have to do some adjustments,but there would be no reason for that. Sap was coming in from steam away,but maybe not as fast as it should. Got maybe 1/2” above crimps,then fired again and level getting dangerously close to top of crimps. Held down on the float for the duration of that fire,temperature of sap from steam away was 192, got down to about 186, then seemed to be okay rest of the boil. One good thing is that it was first boil and no syrup drawing off ,or could have been some mad scrambling
    Bruce, are you putting Defoamer in it? In the late 80’s, we had 5x12 flue pan evaporator with a 5x10 steam away on it. It was one of the earlier ones made. We would put defoamer in both float boxes every 10 minutes or so. It was a finicky thing but was you got it figured out, it would eat the sap and make a lot of hot water.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    225 Sugar Maples Currently,(105 on 3/16" and 110 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 10 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    Bruce, are you putting Defoamer in it? In the late 80’s, we had 5x12 flue pan evaporator with a 5x10 steam away on it. It was one of the earlier ones made. We would put defoamer in both float boxes every 10 minutes or so. It was a finicky thing but was you got it figured out, it would eat the sap and make a lot of hot water.
    Yes,every fire put drops in the steam away and the flue pan. This is the third year with it,but first time I have noticed the flue pan being “ robbed of sap “ without syrup coming off. Have seen it get low,when syrup comes off quickly
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Bruce,
    I have seen this happen on my steamaway as well. Usually happens right at start up after filing the steamaway and not keeping the valve to the flue pan open, air seems to get caught in the piping to the float box.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

+ Reply to Thread