+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Brunswick Tapping 2021

Trees are still running good in my neck of the woods. Had another long day boiling sap today. Going to finish off what I have left on Monday and call it a season. Hope everyone else has had as good a season as I've had
    Maple syrup enthusiast

Still running down here too, but I think today or tomorrow will be it. Might run over night with the bit of snow coming. Turned out to be decent after all. I'm glad I had this weekend off to keep up with it. Boiling today. Lots of nitre again this year. The sap this week is very foamy too, using lots of defoamer.

Had an average year, we stopped collecting yesterday. Boiled off most of what we got Sunday yesterday, got 50-60 gals to finish boiling today and chase through evaporator. Probably finish the last syrup off tonight, which should put us over 140 imp gals.
    Murray

Somewhere around 800 - 900 taps on Atlas Copco vacuum
    1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    2 1/2 x 10 Waterloo/Small, with Piggyback & hood,
    Air over & under fire
    CDL autodrawoff, Homemade drawoff/filter tank with pump,
    Lapierre Sirofilter, modified steam pan bottler

I find its bitter sweet when the season comes to an end. I produced the most syrup this season since I started in 2018. Very good year for me. I pulled my taps on Monday and now I just have the pan to clean. Just curious what ya'll use to clean your stainless steel pans. My pan got real dirty this season.
    Maple syrup enthusiast

Sounds like everyone did ok this season. I just have my pan contents to finish. I boiled everything tonight just to keep anything from spoiling until I can finish it this weekend. I collected more sap this year than last but sugar was lower, might not get as much syrup. I dumped some of the ending sap, it was developing a funny smell and I didn't want to chance it. Erob, I clean my stainless pans with water and vinegar. I boil it on the stove and dump into the pans. I might place it on the propane Turkey fryer this year to heat the pan with it in it.i use oven cleaner on the bottom and hose it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Maple Lady View Post
    Sounds like everyone did ok this season. I just have my pan contents to finish. I boiled everything tonight just to keep anything from spoiling until I can finish it this weekend. I collected more sap this year than last but sugar was lower, might not get as much syrup. I dumped some of the ending sap, it was developing a funny smell and I didn't want to chance it. Erob, I clean my stainless pans with water and vinegar. I boil it on the stove and dump into the pans. I might place it on the propane Turkey fryer this year to heat the pan with it in it.i use oven cleaner on the bottom and hose it off.
    Ok thanks I will give that a try
    Maple syrup enthusiast

We finished off everything last night, ended up with 146 gals or 663 litres. The weird thing this year, the color hardly changed from start of season to end. I agree the sugar was down quite a bit from last year. Now the fun of clean up!
    Murray

1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    Air over & under fire

Quote Originally Posted by murferd View Post
    We finished off everything last night, ended up with 146 gals or 663 litres. The weird thing this year, the color hardly changed from start of season to end. I agree the sugar was down quite a bit from last year. Now the fun of clean up!
    I found this to be a strange season. Sap ran when the weather didn't necessarily say it should and when it seemed 'ideal', didn't get much. My syrup did change colour, I guess that was normal. My neighbour down over the hill from me barely got any sap, just a strange year. Murray, was that a good year for you? I'm hoping to make 8 gallons, lol and you're at 146!!

Vacuum makes a big difference when saps runs some days. It was an average year for us, last year we were down 20 gals for this. We're in a bit of a weird area weather wise. Most other people around had a great year last year, and this year some are complaining. Who knows!
    Murray

1 Sap Ladder & 1 can
    Air over & under fire

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345