+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pro and con on stubby adapter

Default Pro and con on stubby adapter

I’m adding a few hundred more taps this year and I have been thinking to the stubby adapters to save some time. And my old taps should be all replaced. What is the pro’s and con’s of the stubby adapter?
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

I have used then and have found them to be a pain at end of season when I was trying to take off the spouts.
    110 taps W.F Mason 2x3 and two turkey friers for finishing

2011 expanding to a Mason 2x4 with a blower increasing taps to about 200
    2011 Hurricane Irene rips thru my small sugar bush cost me to lose 20% of taps
    2014 I have reworked my lines for 2014
    32 taps on 5/16 line with check valves
    57 taps on 3/16 line with check valves
    55 buckets with total tapped trees of 144

I've used the stubby and adapter and find that I like the one piece seasonal spout better. There's no chance of the spout and adapter getting pushed apart on a hard freeze and something new goes into the tree every year.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    I've used the stubby and adapter and find that I like the one piece seasonal spout better. There's no chance of the spout and adapter getting pushed apart on a hard freeze and something new goes into the tree every year.
    I was thinking of throwing the adapter away that goes into the tree every year and start with a fresh one when I’m ready to tap

Quote Originally Posted by calvertbrothers View Post
    I was thinking of throwing the adapter away that goes into the tree every year and start with a fresh one when I’m ready to tap
    That's what I used to do. I prefer the one piece throw away taps. I can see through them which really helps when I'm looking for vacuum leaks and there's one less place for a potential leak.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I use them with the clear checkvalves. Saves a lot of time when tapping and haven't had any vac issues. Just remember to seat the tap before attaching the stubby. Do not tap the stubby into the tap. Push and twist 90 deg.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

I've used lapierre and and leader stubby spots in my woods (5K plus taps) without issue. I've prefer the new Lapierre 5/16" (blue or green) teardrop style over the bulky 7/16" black ones. I find the seasonal spout adapters are usually cheaper, provides a new clean spout for the taphole, and is much faster tapping the woods. Yes one or two may separate during a hard freeze, but that because I don't drive them hard together when tapping. (Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time at the end of the season separating them. Time saved tapping vs pressing new seasonal spouts on drops in freezing weather is my main reason. Plus your fingers will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by corrowbasin View Post
    I've used lapierre and and leader stubby spots in my woods (5K plus taps) without issue. I've prefer the new Lapierre 5/16" (blue or green) teardrop style over the bulky 7/16" black ones. I find the seasonal spout adapters are usually cheaper, provides a new clean spout for the taphole, and is much faster tapping the woods. Yes one or two may separate during a hard freeze, but that because I don't drive them hard together when tapping. (Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time at the end of the season separating them. Time saved tapping vs pressing new seasonal spouts on drops in freezing weather is my main reason. Plus your fingers will thank you.
    Thank you, I was thinking the same thing cutting time and faster the fallowing next couple of years. Just heard people not being able to get the adapters off. But I’m leaning towards getting them.

We cut our stubbies off 4 years ago and use a straight clear disposable at 13 cents each. Easy to install, way less maintenance after a hard freeze and no regrets.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

+ Reply to Thread