+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Backyard Syrup Enthusiasts 2020

How is everyone's season prep coming? I still have a few things left to fabricate with my 275 oil drum evaporator and to paint it. As it is my first season I am a little worried about getting it right the first time that I boil. I do have a few buckets out there, however I am worried that I might not have the right buckets. I ended up getting 5 gallon water jugs from work that look like they will work perfectly, small opening for the drop line, however, I am now worrying about ice forming on the inside of them. Any one use these in the past? Pros and Cons?
    Tucker Adams

2022 - 105 Taps, 58 on buckets, 40 on shurflo, 5 on 3/16 gravity across southern Maine with primary bush in Norway. Aiming for 30 Gallons this Year.
    2021 - 64 Taps in Norway, ME (mostly on 3/16 tubing) - 16 gallons with a 225 gallon sap donation.
    2x4 AOF/AUF Oil Drum Evaporator with Badgerland Pan
    1/2 finished 12x16 Sugar Shack

i like my five gallon buckets. never had any freeze solid just form ice on the outside. I would pick it out and pitch it. you are not losing any great amount of sap. Kinda of natures way of removing water. they work just fine.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Been taking advantage of no snow and working in the woods. We got our new mainline up, 500' of 1" and 350' of 3/4". 28 laterals all hooked up for 146 taps. This one will be set up with a shurflo, solar panel and S3 controller. Only thing left to do in these woods is run the spinseal and that one is already to tap. Put 125 zap bacs on the new bush we installed last year and replaced a few damaged drops, that one is ready to tap. Put new taps on our last old bush which will be torn down and redone next year, that one is ready to tap. Only woods work left to do is run the new 3/16" line and the spinseal which should be done this weekend. We're ahead of the game thanks to the lack of snow and ice (haven't been fishing yet!) Still plenty to do around the shack and setting up controllers, pumps and solar panels. But that's easy roadside or inside work, don't need snowshoes for that!
    Also enjoyed our best holiday sales season ever. Over $1500 of syrup in November and December.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I think small openings will make picking out ice problemmatical. Do you have a pic of the buckets?
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Quote Originally Posted by mainebackswoodssyrup View Post
    Been taking advantage of no snow and working in the woods. We got our new mainline up, 500' of 1" and 350' of 3/4". 28 laterals all hooked up for 146 taps. This one will be set up with a shurflo, solar panel and S3 controller. Only thing left to do in these woods is run the spinseal and that one is already to tap. Put 125 zap bacs on the new bush we installed last year and replaced a few damaged drops, that one is ready to tap. Put new taps on our last old bush which will be torn down and redone next year, that one is ready to tap. Only woods work left to do is run the new 3/16" line and the spinseal which should be done this weekend. We're ahead of the game thanks to the lack of snow and ice (haven't been fishing yet!) Still plenty to do around the shack and setting up controllers, pumps and solar panels. But that's easy roadside or inside work, don't need snowshoes for that!
    Also enjoyed our best holiday sales season ever. Over $1500 of syrup in November and December.
    Backwoods, Great to hear! The lack of snow has made it quite easy for everything. I am very much waiting for the deep freeze that I don't think we will get this year for ice fishing, so should make for an interesting syrup season. Glad you were able to have a great sales season. I am hoping to get rid of my 2021 stock as soon as I make it.

To answer your question eustis22, I don't have a picture but think about the water cooler at the office where you have to flip them in order to get them into the dispenser. I have attached a web link to one though. I just don't have a clue as to if they might freeze when I pickup for collection.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/American-...ctedSellerId=0
    Tucker Adams

2022 - 105 Taps, 58 on buckets, 40 on shurflo, 5 on 3/16 gravity across southern Maine with primary bush in Norway. Aiming for 30 Gallons this Year.
    2021 - 64 Taps in Norway, ME (mostly on 3/16 tubing) - 16 gallons with a 225 gallon sap donation.
    2x4 AOF/AUF Oil Drum Evaporator with Badgerland Pan
    1/2 finished 12x16 Sugar Shack

ok, please keep in mind that they will freeze at the top so you will have a considerable ice plug blocking your attempt to drain that. I would recommend the 5 gallon food grade buckets ate home depot or lowes before using a water cooler jug. That way you only need a little melt to pull the frisbee of ice out.

I have used some of the square 5 gallon containers for several years and so like them. You will not be able to remove the ice but usually can get a hole in the top of the ice to drain the liquid. The remaining ice will keep the next run cool.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

We have spent the fall getting the inside of the sugarhouse finished. When we built it we got the evaporator in just in time to start boiling and the inside never got touched. Its fully insulated with Roxul and it was getting annoying having Roxul dust everywhere. Is it wrong to have tile on the walls, and a heat pump in your Sugarhouse? We will find out! Ill post pictures once its done.
    We sold our 2x6 and ordered a 2.5x8 CDL Venturi back in August...but it still has not arrived yet. Still lots of prep to get done and get our learn on with the new evaporator whenever it arrives. Just started getting parts together for a new autodraw that will have a stack temp controller as well for monitoring when we need to toss more wood in. Hopefully soon!

Lots of new drop lines to prep. 5 years on tees and taps is to long as we have seen huge drops in production on our original 3/16 runs, even with Shurflo's on them.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

I'm not following. What does this:

> 5 years on tees and taps is to long as we have seen huge drops in production on our original 3/16 runs

mean, please?

Quote Originally Posted by eustis22 View Post
    I'm not following. What does this:

> 5 years on tees and taps is to long as we have seen huge drops in production on our original 3/16 runs

mean, please?
    It is recommended that you change your taps yearly. Obviously not many of us could afford to do this. But as the years go by bacteria forms in the taps and tees and when the sap slows at night it causes the bacteria to back into the tree which will cause it to heal up hence shortening your season. Changing the taps and tees/drop lines should get us back to year 1 production rates. We are also testing check valve taps this year to see if there are any benefits to this.
    West Sumner Sugar House
    West Sumner, ME
    500 +/- Taps - 2 x 8 CDL Venturi - 3 Shurflo Solar Systems - MES Dolly 300
    https://www.facebook.com/WestSumnerSugarHouse

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast