+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: credit cards

Default Credit Cards

We have sales of several thousand on credit cards every year. We found that our local bank was the best way to go. They set it up and you have local support if you ever need it. We did buy our machine from Ebay for alot less than they were asking. Be careful there are alot of machines which are no longer legal on there. You need to make sure you have one that wipes out all but the last 4 #'s. You can find out what one they recommend and look for that one. Unless your looking to increase sales by a few hundred a month may not be worth it. The more they are used the cheaper it is to use them. Also we are finding fees keep going up. Reward cards! You pay a higher processing fee. Need to key enter a higher fee. Need to bypass something a higher fee. We only do 3 shows a year and may do 3o cards at a show. We do it on paper and then key enter when we get home. Figures out less than trying to get wirless for a day. So far have not had a bad card.

Dale

I thought of using paypal, but then you run the risk of taking the information down and not having it go through. The other option would be to run a wireless router so you can bring a lap top into the SH and processing it immediately, but then that process is slower too.

We're working on a website which will have merchant services built into it. Maybe we'll handle all credit card transactions through the website so we're not paying for a machine.

There are options to make it work, but unfortunately it eats into your profits, but then again, you'll probably sell more. If sales continue to increase this year, we'll probably add it for the 2012 maple season.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Default Credit Cards

We use to take credit cards on line thru our web site. Laws changed and this became very risky. We do not do any online credit cards the credit card company required us to hire a company to check our security. We pay $25 a year just to say no one can hack in. Real time processing a credit card is expensive. We use Pay Pal for on line.

Default Pay Pal

I went to a local surplus supply store this year before Christmas and he was using Pay Pal for all credit card/Debit card sales. I believe that PayPal does take a cut of the sale but I was told it was lower than what he could find from any banks. I will stop over to his shop this weekend and look into it more and let everyone know what I found out. We would all like to have more sales and any tool that can help us is always a good thing to consider.
    Brian Kelly
    Red Shed Sweets
    2x6 Leader drop flue

We currently use PayPal for online sales and it seems to work fine. I think we will stay with cash, check, or IOU in the sugarhouse for another season.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

we have been selling syrup for some 11 year now and we have found that most folks love the fact that we don`t take credit cards. We ship them their syrup with a bill, when they get the syrup they send us a check. Folks love the fact that we trust them.I know what your thinking, what if they don`t pay. Well 11 years and only 1 loss, I think that pretty good. the credit card company`s make enough money,do they really need to charge a transaction fee and a fee for the machine. Not from us. Just my 2 cents
    TWO OLDS SAPS SUGAR WORKS
    with a little help from our freinds
    2300 on vac,5x14 grimm lighting,pre heater,900 gph ro www.twooldsaps.com

Watch out for American Express. I accepted their cards for a trial period but they kept charging me after the term expired and I never did get the excess charges back. Very bad company.

CASH. We don't except credit cards for anything. The farm or my dads company. Cash and checks only. All credit cards do is make rich people richer. My $0.02
    02 F350 powerstroke and 89 Toyota 4X4 5 speed sap haulers
    16X16 sugar shack
    30"X8' raised flue GH Grimm evaporator Smoky Lake Maple front pan!
    Sthil MS 460, 026 (2), 009, husky 61, 365, 272, and a 42
    2009 41 taps, 2010 72 taps on a barrel evapotator all buckets, 2011 151 taps 34 buckets 117 taps on tubing.

I'm sure that CC may increase a sale (maybe buy that extra quart), but I can honestly say I have never had a drive up customer ask if I take plastic. Cash or check is offered.

I was very surprised that Marcland was selling $450 (or more expensive models if you wanted it) syrup draw off units at the verona confernce with IOU's. That's allot of merchandise to be handing over the counter to customers all over the NE. Sent them my check last week
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

I have been kicking this around because of the demographic I draw. People in their 20's and 30's don't seem to carry cash as much as older generations. I did see the iPhone has an app to use a credit card. Does anyone use the iPhone to process credit cards? What are the fees associated.
    Make sure you check out our YouTube Channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/bissellmaplefarm

www.bissellmaplefarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast