+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sugar shack ceiling

Default sugar shack ceiling

What material do you all use for your sugar shack ceiling?

I have had a wood ceiling for 3 years this year I'm installing steel . Just good old metal roofing from menards it works very good and is washable.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody77 View Post
    I have had a wood ceiling for 3 years this year I'm installing steel . Just good old metal roofing from menards it works very good and is washable.
    So why did you switch? I have a 2x6 roof rafters on a 12:12 pitch with a metal roof and v-groove pine lining under the metal. I put the pine lining in to prevent the metal from sweating to bad. So far (one season) it worked great with hardly any dripping on our work area.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

I have a metal roof on my sugar house and the metal is exposed on the inside. The moisture will condense on the inside of the roofing and drip off of the purlins. I put a steam hood on my flue pan and that stopped most of the dripping.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Our roof sheathing is exposed doug fir 2x8's with metal roofing on top of that. More than needed, but no condensation issues at all.

cupola doors 21117-2.jpg
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Do you have a steam hood? If not, wondering why you're installing steel over the wood? I think most would go the other way. I have steel and it rains like crazy in the shack when we boil. This month I'm installing foam insulation and shiplap pine over the steel.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    Do you have a steam hood? If not, wondering why you're installing steel over the wood? I think most would go the other way. I have steel and it rains like crazy in the shack when we boil. This month I'm installing foam insulation and shiplap pine over the steel.
    yes I have a hood I use the smokey lake concentric exaust design just one hole through the roof.
    I also have a cupola for any over flow steem. But sense I built the new hood I almost never have steem the convection draws so well in that design. And in the event I do get steem I fire up the wall heater and warm up the Bush and it is gone in an instant. I'm going steel to hide the old stains and make it washable. I have a low flat ceiling over the kitchen/evaporator aria of my sugar bush. It was a good design 10 years ago. With the old unit but now it's a good coverup.

yes I have a hood I use the smokey lake concentric exaust design just one hole through the roof.
    I also have a cupola for any over flow steem. But sense I built the new hood I almost never have steem the convection draws so well in that design. And in the event I do get steem I fire up the wall heater and warm up the Bush and it is gone in an instant. I'm going steel to hide the old stains and make it washable. I have a low flat ceiling over the kitchen/evaporator aria of my sugar bush. It was a good design 10 years ago. With the old unit but now it's a good coverup.
    That's makes sense. I have a 12/12 pitch steel roof screwed onto purlins and exposed to the inside. As you said...it was a good and economical idea when I built my shack 10 years ago. The minute I started boiling I realized my error.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

You can use roofing steel or any product approved for wall and ceilings in a milk house. Must be washable.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread