+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sap Flow Meter

Default Sap Flow Meter

Does anyone know where to get some kind of flow meter that I could install in/on my 1" copper line that feeds the evaporator? I always have to estimate the number of gallons I boiled and I think I get a fairly accurate reading by using the sugar content, rule of 86 and the syrup produced. It would be really nice to look at some kind of meter or gauge that tells it exactly....
    5600 taps on tubing w/ vacuum, 3.5 x12 Oil Fired with pre-heater, 2 Post RO
    http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...owhillmapping/

http://snowhillfarm.com

there are several meter makers out there. are you looking for mechanical or digital? do you want to be able to reset it at the end of a boil? there are many affordable mechanical meters out there on the web
    26 taps
    1 homemade propane boiler
    8 sheep
    2 miniature horses (should teach them to haul sap)
    fun for the whole family

You'll find similar threads if your search back. Based upon a recommendation I received here, the guys at the town gave me one they had hanging around. It's 1" threaded female on either side and measures in cubic feet. Conversion to gallons is easy enough. You may want to check your town garage and see if you can pick up a freebe.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

Edited by Brent to remove incorrect info. See comments below by Dr. Tim Perkins
    Last edited by Brent; 10-28-2009 at 11:50 AM.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Most meters need to have a constant feed of liquid under pressure and the Key is NO AIR in the stream.

I have the same problem I fill my head tank and start the evap and then refill during the boil and as its filling its empting so I dont have a good idea thruout the day so I just go by syrup made.

Another interesting way to look at it.

If Proctor doesn't think there are any accurate reliable units out there, and some guys use them and claim they are accurate, makes you wonder how they figure they're accurate. If they know they're not getting stalled with drebris or air locks, they must have another system to verify with, which means they don't really need them anyway.

As above, I just go by sryup finished ( and Gator tanks hauled in, if I remember to mark the chalkboard.)

Just be careful plumbing that in from the feed to the evaporator. It could be a close call if somthing stopped the flow. Just somthing to consider
    Jeff
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

I have a 320 gallon Lappierre SS round bottom tank and I have a 1" water meter I bought off of one of the members here a few years ago. It is quite heavy and I have it in the pump line going from the 625 gallon milk tank to the head tank which is the Lappierre tank. It has a quick coupler on each end of the water meter and one side is a male and the other side is a female. This way, if it would somehow freeze up or lock up, in 5 seconds, I am back in business. I have a 1" oil free submersible pump that pumps up to the head tank and at the end of each boil, I write down the ending gallons on the meter. At the end of the day, I know exactly how many gallons I have boiled and divide that by total boiling time to get accurate gph also.

The meter I have is old, very heavy, but seems extremely accurate. It is vertical and up to the head tank and drains itself back down what little sap is above it.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Check this link out:

www.mcmaster.com/#8051k18/=46f2pi
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

They make accurate meters. I use them for work on a regular basis. The key is to put them near the discharge of a pump. Interestingly enough, the ones I use have a 4-20ma signal that can be use to control electrical devices based on desired throughput.some of the controllers can turn equipment on/off based on sensors. Temp,throughput, pH and conductivity are great ways to monitor sap or vacuum cooling water. One less thing to worry about.
    Make sure you check out our YouTube Channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/bissellmaplefarm

www.bissellmaplefarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast