Closed Thread

Thread: Seeking guidance

Default Seeking guidance

I am looking for assistance in trying to resolve an issue that seems to be developing with Smoky Lake. I ordered an ADO valve from them in December. I have not been able to get the valve to function. My electrician tells me it is a bad valve. I reached out to Smoky Lake via e-mail and telephone. I have had only a couple of replies with comments about working on the problem. I had previously heard nothing but good about this company, so I was disappointed when multiple e-mails go unanswered for days or a week at a time. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to better communicate with Smoky Lake? I would like to develop a working relationship where I can purchase from them again, but I am about to the point where I feel I need to dispute my card charges.

I understand that this is a busy time of year, it is for all of us, but I have been trying to resolve this issue since 2/5.

Please let me know your thoughts.

A few questions, after talking with SL.
    Tell us about the auto draw, did you make it?
    Was it a SL auto draw or just the valve?
    If it was a homemade auto draw using the SL valve, what voltage did you send to it?
    I was told you made the auto draw and sent 120V to a 12v valve, is that correct?
    All that being said, SL told me they will warranty the valve. You need to call them.
    Do not complain about a product if you used it the wrong way, a 12V valve should only have 12V sent to it.

If the info I was given is incorrect, please correct it in a PM to me with details
    Dave Klish, moderator
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    A few questions, after talking with SL.
    Tell us about the auto draw, did you make it?
    Was it a SL auto draw or just the valve?
    If it was a homemade auto draw using the SL valve, what voltage did you send to it?
    I was told you made the auto draw and sent 120V to a 12v valve, is that correct?
    All that being said, SL told me they will warranty the valve. You need to call them.
    Do not complain about a product if you used it the wrong way, a 12V valve should only have 12V sent to it.

If the info I was given is incorrect, please correct it in a PM to me with details
    Dave Klish, moderator
    Dave, did you change your post from what you had made earlier today? Are you a dealer for Smokey Lake? You keep calling them any time someone comes on here with problems with them. Do you do that for all the other companies and dealers that get criticized on here?
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Maple Flats

If you had read my post it says that I purchased a valve. No where did it imply that I purchased an auto draw off. Again if you read my post you would know that I did call them, and I emailed them multiple times. Again if you read my post you would have known that the issue was getting SL to communicate with me and not a request for you or anyone else to intervene on my behalf. Again if you read My post you would have known that there was no complaint about a product, but a concern over their lack of response. Your previous reply mentioned how poor their customer service was this time of year, but after you obviously spoke to them about me, your reply suddenly changes and your trash talking me. I am not sure where the information about 120v vs 12v comes from, because SL has not yet had a conversation with me regarding the issue.

Now with that said, I did receive an email from SL today, no doubt due to this post. They have offered to warranty the valve, however it is still my intent and desire to communicate with SL and take responsibility for any culpability I may have, but until I am able to have that conversation I don’t know what that is as I don’t know if I did anything wrong or not.

Finally, I believe my credibility and integrity was established with SL when I first made my purchase, but I am guessing that was not covered in your conversation with them.

Super Moderator or not, I have to question your integrity based on your actions.

With that I wish you a good syrup season.
    Last edited by Phelps Family Maple; 02-22-2019 at 09:03 PM.

I had an issue with a temp. probe that wad a year old and failed. I admit it was a long time getting a response from them, but it was replaced.
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phelps Family Maple View Post
    Maple Flats

If you had read my post it says that I purchased a valve. No where did it imply that I purchased an auto draw off. Again if you read my post you would know that I did call them, and I emailed them multiple times. Again if you read my post you would have known that the issue was getting SL to communicate with me and not a request for you or anyone else to intervene on my behalf. Again if you read My post you would have known that there was no complaint about a product, but a concern over their lack of response. Your previous reply mentioned how poor their customer service was this time of year, but after you obviously spoke to them about me, your reply suddenly changes and your trash talking me. I am not sure where the information about 120v vs 12v comes from, because SL has not yet had a conversation with me regarding the issue.

Now with that said, I did receive an email from SL today, no doubt due to this post. They have offered to warranty the valve, however it is still my intent and desire to communicate with SL and take responsibility for any culpability I may have, but until I am able to have that conversation I don’t know what that is as I don’t know if I did anything wrong or not.

Finally, I believe my credibility and integrity was established with SL when I first made my purchase, but I am guessing that was not covered in your conversation with them.

Super Moderator or not, I have to question your integrity based on your actions.

With that I wish you a good syrup season.
    Phelps, I hope everything works out for you. I am glad that I wasn’t the only one that noticed that Mapleflats had gone in and replaced his post with a different one.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by bees1st View Post
    I had an issue with a temp. probe that wad a year old and failed. I admit it was a long time getting a response from them, but it was replaced.
    Phelps,
    What did you mean by "ADO" then?

Best of Luck on resolving your issue.
    80 Taps on Buckets
    Smoky Lake 2x4 Continuous Corsair Arch

Slurping Sap Since 2011.

Phelps, I sent you a PM
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

All I would say is I am not sure that an internet forum based on providing information that helps promote and enhance Maple syrup production is the best venue to address business complaints. I do understand that frustration often leads us to do things we should not. We as consumers have a few options to address what we feel is poor customer service. These being direct communication, legal action, consumer feedback (reviews) and withdraw our business. Sometimes this means loosing money, but that is the reality of life that things do not always work out. Options would be to file a complaint with the BBB, if you feel it is fraud contact authorities (not the case here), post reviews on the business with sellers and word of mouth reviews. Business' that don't address consumer needs often eventually fail. So my advice is to rethink venting on a forum and take the actions you can. Believe me companies live off reviews. Post to ebay and other web sites a review that simply states your review of customer service. I also know every story has two sides and this one does not give the business a proper way to respond. I have seen these issues explode on this forum before and I believe it retracts from the value of the forum and is not appropriate use of the forum. Please don't get upset with me as I am only trying to be objective and keep the peace.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Closed Thread