+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clear seasonal spouts backing out problem

Default Clear seasonal spouts backing out problem

I am finding many of my taps with Leader clear seasonal spouts frequently back out of the tap hole by 1/8" to 1/4". I go around with a hammer and gently tap them back in until I get the dull thud, but a day later some are back out. Is anyone else seeing this problem? I have not had any such problems with the black plastic Leader Tree Saver spouts, which are a slightly softer plastic and have 3 small ribs which likely help retain the spout in the tap hole. The clear seasonal spouts are very smooth hard plastic so don't really offer any good retention in the tap hole. The Tree Saver spouts cost twice as much, but I can't be continually re-seating spouts all the time.

My trees are on a north facing slope and still have 2 ft of snow in the woods, so really haven't seen any kind of a decent run yet.

If you haven't had a good run yet, likely frost or ice is pushing the taps loose. You might want to use a different tap next year.
    I use 3 different taps, one is a clear seasonal tap, one a Leader CV tap and one a Zap Bac tap. So for, I've only had issue with the CV, they occasionally push the line off or loose on the tap. I'm quite sure ice does it. It seems to happen if I get a slow sap flow and then it freezes hard or freezes for a longer time. There I'm guessing the check ball seals (doing it's job) and the ice expands pushing the drop line off or loose on the tap. The other 2 have not done that. Unfortunately I don't know who made the clear seasonal taps, I had a full bag from years ago and used them. They have not had taps pushing loose.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If you think your having trouble with the clear spouts now wait until you try to remove them from your stubby at he end of the season! I will never use them again.
    3x10 Dallalre, oil fired, Stainless steel.
    Steam hoods front and rear with preheater.
    1500 taps on vac, right to sugar house.
    900 on Gravity
    New Busch 3 Phase Vacuum. (2010)
    Lapierre 600 Turbo with 2 - 8" posts
    36 years of MAPLE ENJOYMENT!!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...93710737313171

i think all spouts are vulnerable to that issue. i tried 100 cdl 45 degree spouts this year and after the first run i had to re set well over half of them. my other taps are all leader seasonal and i only had 3 to re set!
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It may have more to do with the tubing than the spout. Tubing size has a certain amount of leeway (tolerance) during manufacture. Some of it is a little smaller than usual (making it really hard to put fittings on) and some is larger than usual (which makes fittings pop off more easily). Combine tubing that is a tiny bit oversized with with a fitting batch that runs a little small and you've got a great recipe for pop-offs. Some combinations from different manufacturers will tend to do this more as well.

Regardless, in some weather, pop-offs happen a good bit.

One of the Maple Extension folks in Quebec made a small sizing gauge he gave out to his producers to check tubing when they bought it to make sure it was properly sized. Great little tool.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    It may have more to do with the tubing than the spout. Tubing size has a certain amount of leeway (tolerance) during manufacture. Some of it is a little smaller than usual (making it really hard to put fittings on) and some is larger than usual (which makes fittings pop off more easily). Combine tubing that is a tiny bit oversized with with a fitting batch that runs a little small and you've got a great recipe for pop-offs. Some combinations from different manufacturers will tend to do this more as well.

Regardless, in some weather, pop-offs happen a good bit.

One of the Maple Extension folks in Quebec made a small sizing gauge he gave out to his producers to check tubing when they bought it to make sure it was properly sized. Great little tool.
    Just to clarify, my problem is with the spouts backing out of the tree and having to be tapped back in, not the tubing coming off of the spout.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Are you using the appropriate sized bit recommended by the spout manufacturer? If so...perhaps one extra tap with the hammer when you put them in is needed.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Never had one back out.4 years of use. 4 or 5 taps with small rubber mallet,you can hear a different sound when it is seated
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

+ Reply to Thread