+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: what a weird winter - or lack of?

Just to update anyone who is following. I think things are winding down and this weeks warm temperatures will probably mean the end of the season in the northeast corner of the state but we'll see. I'm not getting much from my CT River Valley trees but above 750-1000' they are still flowing well, especially in places where there is snow cover. I'm convinced that helps and I always joke about putting in a snow making system for years like this. I finished boiling what sap I had this weekend and we'll see what I get this week.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

i,m pulling all mine tomorrow, tapped Feb6th on all buckets, now the clean up and get ready for next year

I did my last pickup today, took everything down as i went. There was one tap from Feb 6th still dripping, good tree. I wound up collecting 2080 gal/sap for the season, my second best out of almost 25 years. Those 3 hot days back in Feb really hurt, I had lower volume after that. The 30+ new ones i tapped just over 3 weeks ago really saved me. Like i said earlier, what a weird winter. Here anyway, hardly any snow, or mud, or ice. I did fall down in the woods one day, tripped on a vine, slipped on the snow & crash. Spilled a half pail of sap. I've found the older you get, the faster gravity acts on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Van View Post
    I did my last pickup today, took everything down as i went. There was one tap from Feb 6th still dripping, good tree. I wound up collecting 2080 gal/sap for the season, my second best out of almost 25 years. Those 3 hot days back in Feb really hurt, I had lower volume after that. The 30+ new ones i tapped just over 3 weeks ago really saved me. Like i said earlier, what a weird winter. Here anyway, hardly any snow, or mud, or ice. I did fall down in the woods one day, tripped on a vine, slipped on the snow & crash. Spilled a half pail of sap. I've found the older you get, the faster gravity acts on you.
    Do you think if you had taped everything 3 weeks ago you would have done even better?
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    Do you think if you had taped everything 3 weeks ago you would have done even better?
    Not sure about that - I do know i couldn't do 2000+ gal/sap in 3 weeks, not at my age.

Not sure about that - I do know i couldn't do 2000+ gal/sap in 3 weeks, not at my age.
    Good point! Then there is my equipment that just barely kept sap out of the ground the second week of March.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.

Just to add to that line a little - I hate the warm weather syrup making, flies & mold, the syrup is all dark, in the shed can get pretty hot - I'm just a cold weather guy i guess. I pickup afternoons, takes me about 2 hours now, all on buckets. The following morning i'm up at the barn, 4 AM sometimes - Cold & dark, no traffic going by, sometimes i hear the coyotes or an owl. Million stars out - I burn a lot of pine in the evaporator, good dry wood, burns fast & hot. Always a stream of sparks going up out of the stack. And the smell inside the barn - whats not to like about this hobby / business?

Just to add to that line a little - I hate the warm weather syrup making, flies & mold, the syrup is all dark, in the shed can get pretty hot - I'm just a cold weather guy i guess. I pickup afternoons, takes me about 2 hours now, all on buckets. The following morning i'm up at the barn, 4 AM sometimes - Cold & dark, no traffic going by, sometimes i hear the coyotes or an owl. Million stars out - I burn a lot of pine in the evaporator, good dry wood, burns fast & hot. Always a stream of sparks going up out of the stack. And the smell inside the barn - whats not to like about this hobby / business?
    Interestingly I saw almost no bugs this year. One moth the other day and that was it. A pair of hawks has built a nest in one of my Red Maples in New York and while flushing my lines yesterday the hawks were strafing me with claws extended. Pretty scary stuff.

This was definitely my favorite season so far. On the sugaring front.

About the no bugs- same! I had some flies at the very very end but just a few houseflies. Saw maybe 1-2 sap flies, and yep, one moth got stuck in the pan. Thats it! Very weird. At least I heard the peepers last night as we shut down.

Ants from almost the beginning...only a couple moths near the end.

41.457 x -72.907 148 elevation
    2x4 wood fired evaporator with the "Hercules Blower"
    hybrid pan and backflip preheater by Smoky Lake
    103 taps. 44 on gravity
    All sugar Maples
    7" filter press
    10 x 12 sugar shack
    two very helpful kids
    a wife that thinks I'm nuts

https://youtu.be/7MiY8qzBKk8
    https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=KCTCHESH7

+ Reply to Thread