+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extending The Season

Default Extending The Season

Here's an idea. Why don't larger producers lease land down South and Up North put their sugar shack at one or the other. RO at the non sugar shack site and truck the post RO sap to their Sugar shack facility? Might get two more weeks. Plan B not mutually exclusive lease land to tap in the fall - your utilization rate doubles - maybe

I have a friend that has 25,000 taps in southern Vermont and another 20,000 taps in Northern Vermont. They do truck concentrate to one site.

Spud

For the big guys I dont think its neccessarily about how long the season goes, but more about overall production. If they can get just as much finished product without the cost of shipping sap to be processed then thats what they are going to do to save money. They probably dont care how long it goes, just how much they can make and how much it costs to make it.
    Jake
    smoky lake 2x6 drop flue SSR on homemade arch
    235 taps on 2 gast 1550s and lappiere releasers
    24x12 sugar house
    2019 Kubota L2501 work horse

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by kipegan View Post
    Why don't larger producers lease land down South and Up North put their sugar shack at one or the other.

You could do this, however there is considerable overlap in the seasons even from (for example) northern and southern Vermont (about 3-3.5 hr drive). So for a good part of the season you'd be spending a LOT of time on the road. That time might be better spent putting more effort into keeping the woods at one location very tight.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I have trees across northern Connecticut and I see a two week difference between my trees in the Connecticut River Valley and the ones in the hills. That helps extend my season by about two weeks but like Dr Perkins mentioned, I do spend about 45 minutes trucking sap from my furthest sugar bush back to my sugar house a couple times a week. Thankfully I live in the middle between my sugar house and those trees but still, I do lose a few hours.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

+ Reply to Thread