+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Clogged pre-filter on a CDL vacuum filter

I was always told that using a vacuum filter won't allow you to filter MORE but just faster. In terms that your filters are going to get clogged at X gallons and need replacing regardless if your using a vacuum filter vs. gravity filtering. So maybe it's not the idea that you don't have enough DE or the filter but maybe just the fact that you need to change those filters more often and that you aren't going to get any more syrup thru those filters.

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    1/8 of a cup of DE is not enough. Put a full cup in and try it, if it works but not as good as you think it should, then try more. 1/8 of a cup is not enough to put a good layer on the filter to keep it from plugging.
    Do you add it to the entire batch before putting syrup into the filter or add it once some syrup is sitting on top of the filter?
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

Quote Originally Posted by jdircksen View Post
    Do you add it to the entire batch before putting syrup into the filter or add it once some syrup is sitting on top of the filter?
    Mix it in with the hot syrup.

jacob everyone in the region is having trouble filtering. some of the 7" presses are only getting 5-10 gallons through before changing out and cleaning. looks like the same issue with you. every year is different
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Ok here is an update. I made 5 quarts today and actually had what I'd call a success with the filtering process. I think Fred is right - this year is different. Seems like the niter is extra fine.

I made 2 changes on the unit.
    1) only use 1 prefilter instead of 3 or 4
    2) added the 1/2" ball valve ahead of my Tomlinson valve so I could close it to guaranty no air was getting sucked up the Tomlinson valve

Ended up filtering 3 times, but turned some ugly dark syrup (sap was cloudy after 2 days in the refrigerator) into clear syrup.
    1) first pass without any DE. the syrup went through like a dream, but was very cloudy.
    2) second pass with 2/3 cup of DE and it ended up clogging after 4 quarts, but was still a little cloudy. the filter had a solid cake on it.
    3) replaced the filters this time and only used 1/3 cup of DE. had to run the vacuum for about 5 minutes but it all went through eventually.

seems like my issue is that I was using too many prefilters, but I'll continue to test the other theory that the Tomlinson valve lets air in.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

have you used your filter since?

Yes, just a few times. The only way I've found to make clear syrup is to filter multiple times.
    1) off the evaporator
    2) finish it, then add a little DE and send as much through until it clogs
    3) dump all the syrup back together, check the density, clean the filters, and send it through again

It ends up wasting some syrup when you clean the filter in between but that is better than having cloudy syrup.

Something to add. I have one, and noticed the later season stuff Ive been bottling with that unit, does have more nitre and getting a few gallons through it (ie: filling up the bottler) without having to change the filter is getting harder.

But, I did just notice something the other day that I would say is a manufacturing flaw. The 3 tabs on the removable ring that you clamp down that holds the syrup, make contact with the flat filters and mesh filter piece BEFORE the entire outside of the ring. Making it impossible for an air-tight connection when clamped down. I plan to grind down the 3 tabs a little so the ring is the first thing to make contact and hopefully make a more air-tight seal. I will report back
    Last edited by canaanmaple; 03-27-2020 at 11:32 AM.

My 12" cdl filter also has a manufacturing flaw. The draw off actually runs uphill and not parallel with the top/bottom of the tank. Not a huge deal as far as performance, just a noticeable flaw from a supposedly reputable company.Come to think of it, maybe that's an intended design to keep dripping to a minimum when the valve is turned off.
    1000 taps on vac down to 100+ buckets 99% sugars
    2x5 SL Hi-Output Raised Flue Corsair evaporator
    SL Short bank press with CDL diaphragm pump
    Leader Micro 1 RO for 2024
    Constantly changing
    2010:36 gal 2011:126 gal 2012:81 gal 2013:248 gal 2014: 329.5 gal 2015:305 gal 2016:316 gal 2017:258 gal 2018:147 gal 2019:91 gal 2020:30 gal 2021:30 gal 2023:50 gal Total since 2010: 2047.5 gal
    Tapping the same trees my great, great and great grandfathers tapped.

On my 12” filter, I get crystal clear syrup on one pass, but I put quite a bit of filter aid in. This year I am using probably twice as much as I had to last year. Pre-filter plugging usually comes from not enough filter aid, than too much. I agree that there is some manufacturing oddities, like on mine, the sight gauge is not straight and it has to be tipped up a lot to get all the syrup out.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast