+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sap Truck Registration

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    please explain....no, don't know b/c it seems everyone is different who you talk to.

I know a guy that has a gravity box mounted on a 2 ton truck, no license there either.

Its pretty cut and dried in my opinion.....if it COULD be used for hire then the answer would be pretty obvious.
    simple go where you like the answer to your question
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

Not trying to sound rude, but, with all the time wasted on this, seems like you could have just contacted the BMV direct and got your answer from them.

Jason

Its unfortunate that I ruined several peoples day by asking a simple question! I am not advocating breaking the law in any way! I do not feel I have wasted more than two minutes by posting on here.

The issue of getting and keeping a 45 year old truck in operating condition, versus turning it into a drawn unit with a tractor(s) that we already have was a fair question in my opinion. It would be going no more than a mile radius of our farm and to not want to license and title it just for this would be considered a smart business decision in keeping expenses in check. Big corporations in town would do the same thing (including the one I am employed at). They certainly would be smarter than I and not ever ask this type of question on mapletrader!
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

think about this , how many people on Maple Trader work for the DMV. its pretty hard to get the right and legal answer here.
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

Quote Originally Posted by OGDENS SUGAR BUSH View Post
    think about this , how many people on Maple Trader work for the DMV. its pretty hard to get the right and legal answer here.
    I do not work for any DMV. But I could have given the right advice for Vermont. I have looked into these laws here and carry copies of the regulations in my truck.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

And I also don’t understand why people with no useful information have to comment negatively about somebodies question.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I think that the running gear idea is a good one. Anybody that's been around tractors and equipment for a substantial amount of time should be able to navigate a trailer behind an appropriate sized tractor for a mile or 2.

And as said you're maintenance costs could potentially be much lower. Also I would think that the tractor would be less likely to get stuck , compared to a single axle truck?
    Last edited by n8hutch; 11-05-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Thanks for the positive comments. Yes, pulling a 2500 gallon tank with a 100hp or larger tractor is just another day on the farm. Not looking to go offroad regardless of which way I go. Just looking to be more efficient with the trips.
    Last edited by markcasper; 11-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.

do you feel better?
    2x6 RAISED FLUE PANS
    by WF MASON
    650 taps on vac.
    100 on bags

For those interested...I contacted the DOT in Madison and the response that I received was quite concerning to say the least. It came as no surprise to me based on what has been mentioned in this thread. The answer to the tank trunk being being classified as an AG Commercial Motor Vehicle was a "NO".

The gentleman went on to say in the e-mail that "Additionally, raw maple sap and maple syrup are commodities that do not fall within the scope of agriculture, horticulture, or arboriculture. Consequently, maple sap and syrup are not IoH commodities." Internal Revenue Code - Title 26 Section 464 (e). The preceding was given as the cited reference

Yet when you go here:

https://www.revenue.wi.gov/Pages/FAQ...smt.aspx#asmt7

See question #18, The Dept. of Revenue clearly states that maple sap gathering IS an agricultural activity. In addition, the NASS collects data yearly with maple being one of them. Since the DOT does not consider this an agricultural activity, are we therefore not allowed to pull a tank with a tractor either? Will they require licenses/permits on ANY sap collecting apparatus?
    Will going to the sugarbush with the 4 wheeler now be considered an recreational activity, rather than a farm activity? Will the farm exempt status of the 4 wheeler now be punishable due to its use in a non - agricultural endeavor? These are items we all need to be asking, a very slippery slope indeed. There is alot of work that needs to be done with getting these government agencies on the same page.
    Last edited by markcasper; 11-09-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast