+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Crown Maple

As long as crown makes a quality product thats all that really matters to me. Alot of those new yorkers will be tasting real syrup for the first time and if its not a good experiance thats it. If they like it they will want more and become more savy with purchases over time.

[QUOTE=spud;196277]
    Quote Originally Posted by bison1973 View Post
    When I started this thread I never said he DID NOT have a right to do this. Absolutely he does. Now, when I read the article I just had to laugh. Most of us have grown up with maple... worked in it and built up our operations little by little. My whole feeling on the Crown Maple is the guy couldn't tell you what end of the hydrometer is up before this. Maple is not a big corporate industry, never has been. Do we want it to go the way of the cattle industry?

We all know what happens when Wall Street and the Federal govement get togther on something...

Tim

As a person grows from being young to old they also take on new interest. There once was a time when I enjoyed playing baseball and drinking beer. Now as I'm older I prefer sitting on the porch drinking coffee. My point is people change and their interest can also change. If the owner of Crown Maple never tapped a tree until a few years ago then (so what). It would appear that the man took on a new interest (sugaring) and he is not only enjoying it but doing very well at marketing his product. He does not have to be born into a sugaring family to be respected by other sugar makers. We should welcome all people young and old who want to join in and make some syrup. The amount of money he has should make no difference in how we treat him. In suggesting he does not know what end of the hydrometer is up suggest your angry with this mans success. If someone offered you $19.95 per 12 ounce bottle on all the syrup you make you would take it in a flash. If I lived in a big city and saw a nice bottle of syrup for sale for $19.95 I might buy a few for myself and be glad I did. I would love to see Mr. Crown Maple join this site so I could pick his brain.

Spud
    Spud, I am not angry with the man. He can do what he wants.

I'm looking at the future. Let me put it this way... I'm from WI (the dairy state). I grew up on a small dairy farm. Those are almost all long gone. Ask small dairy farmers what happened with overproduction...

Maple syrup as a commodity????

As far as a guy just jumping into something he has no experience with... (your comment was "so what") my answer to that is two words: Barack Obama.

have a great day everyone!
    Tim Sternitzky
    Sternitzky Specialty Foods LLC
    www.themapledude.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cardigan99 View Post
    One of two things will happen. The price of syrup will rise for everyone (not likely) Or, the city folks will figure out pretty quick they can look around and find it much cheaper. What's to stop anyone from finding an outlet in the big apple and undercutting this guy?
    Don't they have Costco in NY, NY? They sell 1L jugs for about $13 around here.

And 25,000 trees/taps isn't that big in the scale of things. Maybe in NY it is big but I know a lot of producers who have larger operations.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Well I've been watching this thread since the begining-
    Being in the winery/grape business I can speak from experience about people in the same business as you ,only with a WHOLE lot more resources.
    It's not all bad...it's not all good .........but I can garantee that they have just as much emotionall investment in their operation as anyone.
    And BLESS ANYONE who can break into a market in NYC. There are over 300 farm wineries in NY state and for all intents there is NO NYS wine in NYC.
    If this guy can get syrup in there and get consumer confidence for secondary purchase we ALL better tap more trees !

Quote Originally Posted by wheelguy54 View Post
    Well I've been watching this thread since the begining-
    Being in the winery/grape business I can speak from experience about people in the same business as you ,only with a WHOLE lot more resources.
    It's not all bad...it's not all good .........but I can garantee that they have just as much emotionall investment in their operation as anyone.
    And BLESS ANYONE who can break into a market in NYC. There are over 300 farm wineries in NY state and for all intents there is NO NYS wine in NYC.
    If this guy can get syrup in there and get consumer confidence for secondary purchase we ALL better tap more trees !
    Agreed. Over the past few years I've been getting more active at marketing our syrup in Toronto (the biggest city in Canada for those of you south of the border) and the market is pretty much limitless! Spend time networking and educating consumers and the sales follow.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

I agree with Ed R. ....

As long as crown makes a quality product thats all that really matters to me. Alot of those new yorkers will be tasting real syrup for the first time and if its not a good experiance thats it. If they like it they will want more and become more savy with purchases over time.

Default dy

I read an article on crown in edible hudson. he claims that boiling removes minerals and that is why they super RO their sap. anybody know of real scientific evidence to back up this claim? the article also said that another producer close by has 3,000 taps on one acre and made 3,ooo-5,000 gals of syrup a year!

RO removes some mineral. That is 1 tap in 14'^2. Pretty impressive
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by mountainvan View Post
    I read an article on crown in edible hudson. he claims that boiling removes minerals and that is why they super RO their sap. anybody know of real scientific evidence to back up this claim? the article also said that another producer close by has 3,000 taps on one acre and made 3,ooo-5,000 gals of syrup a year!
    Van....boiling creates niter (scale, sugar sand), which precipitates is filtered out. This does remove some of the minerals (mainly calcium malate) in the sap, but there is still plenty left.

The 3,000 taps on an acre must be wrong, unless they are tapping 1" trees.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

They must be tapping someone else's main line if their making 3,000 - 5,000 gallons of syrup a year!
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast