+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garden Blight

Does anyone know if potato's are susceptible to blight? Thinking about trying to grow red potato's this year
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I don't ever plant potatoes in ground that held tomatoes the year before, and vice versa. The blight will affect both plants.
    If you don't have any free ground available this year, consider planting them in containers (like bushel baskets) and they do quite well.

I forgot to mention that the same rule applies to pepper plants.
    Last edited by Run Forest Run!; 04-10-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: additional info
    ~ Karen ~

2012 - 10 taps, 1 turkey fryer - 169.5L sap 4.2 L syrup
    2013 - 23 taps, 2 turkey fryers - 748.5 L sap 17.56 L syrup

2014 - 22 taps, 509 L sap 12.5 L syrup
    2015 - 28 taps, 1093.75 L sap 25.1 L syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 1223.5 L sap 28.25 L syrup
    2017 - 21 taps, 518.5 L sap 12.7 L syrup
    2018 - 28 taps, 2 turkey fryers & Denali 3 burner propane stove - 798L sap 16.9 L syrup
    2019 - 28 taps, 1409.5L sap 40.12L syrup

Sugar, Norway, Manitoba, Silver and Freeman Maples

Potatoes are susceptible, so take those precautions others have mentioned. If Late Blight shows up in your garden, cut and dispose of all tomato and potato foliage immediately, and harvest the potatoes soon after. The longer you delay, the greater chance of the infection getting into the tubers. On the bright side, potatoes are one crop that will thrive in a brand new garden plot. This may be your opportunity to grow a bigger garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Run Forest Run! View Post
    I don't ever plant potatoes in ground that held tomatoes the year before, and vice versa. The blight will affect both plants.
    If you don't have any free ground available this year, consider planting them in containers (like bushel baskets) and they do quite well.

I forgot to mention that the same rule applies to pepper plants.
    Thanks Karen!! I have horrible luck in the soil with peppers......I may try the baskets this year. My buddy grows his potatoes in trash barrels which is kind of cool
    Last edited by johnpma; 04-12-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    Potatoes are susceptible, so take those precautions others have mentioned. If Late Blight shows up in your garden, cut and dispose of all tomato and potato foliage immediately, and harvest the potatoes soon after. The longer you delay, the greater chance of the infection getting into the tubers. On the bright side, potatoes are one crop that will thrive in a brand new garden plot. This may be your opportunity to grow a bigger garden.
    I have an area in my garden that does not get full sun that I may try the potatoes in. My garlic, carrots, beet, lettuce and parsnips are all in raised beds which I've had good luck with.

I was out pruning tomatoes a few days ago when I remembered this thread and something worth adding.

When pruning it's good to prune off the leaves that touch or are near the ground so soil born diseases don't splash up and infect the leaves.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

Quote Originally Posted by red dorakeen View Post
    I was out pruning tomatoes a few days ago when I remembered this thread and something worth adding.

When pruning it's good to prune off the leaves that touch or are near the ground so soil born diseases don't splash up and infect the leaves.
    Great advise!! Thank you!! We need SUN badly.......my tomato plants look like crap period. This year I planted thru plastic sheeting. I also "furrowed" my rows because of all the water we have had......this is just horrible horrible gardening weather

Hi, i am jimmy , I am religious about rotating crops into new soil to avoid leftover pathogens, and have pretty good luck.

I grow my tomatoes up high on a trellis of poles and twine, and prune them up 16 inches or so to allow some free air to flow under them. While there is some risk of sun burning, the pruning keeps things drier.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greer View Post
    I grow my tomatoes up high on a trellis of poles and twine, and prune them up 16 inches or so to allow some free air to flow under them. While there is some risk of sun burning, the pruning keeps things drier.
    That is a fantastic idea. One plant got it pretty badly so I pulled the plant in an effort to minimize the potential of it infecting other plants. The rest have a few leaves that I removed and discarded

Picked our first round of beans last night.....things are happening slowly but they are happening
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast