+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I thin "too thick" syrup

Default How do I thin "too thick" syrup

Hello
    Darn..cooked syrup too long and cannot even pour it out of a jar its so thick.
    Have two gallons like this.
    Can anyone suggest a fix to make it pourable?
    The taste and color are good and I hate to lose all that syrup.
    Many thanks for any help
    Eileen (newbie to syrup making)

Add sap to it until your density is right, bring to a boil, filter, and re-bottle.

Many many thanks for this

Either use tap water, sap or syrup that isn't syrup yet.

The quickest way would be to use water since there is no sugars in it then the next fastest would be sap. That route you can say that nothing but sap from a maple is in there.

I used the stuff out of my syrup pan that wasn't syrup yet to thin my heavy syrup. It was surprising how much I had to add to lighten the heavy syrup.

It sounds like you went way over, it isn't burnt is it?
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Hello
    Darn..cooked syrup too long and cannot even pour it out of a jar its so thick.
    Have two gallons like this.
    Can anyone suggest a fix to make it pourable?
    The taste and color are good and I hate to lose all that syrup.
    Many thanks for any help
    Eileen (newbie to syrup making)
    Might as well finish it as Candy...lol

Keep in mind that all syrup appears real thick when refrigerated.

There is a formula to calculate exactly how much water to add to "too thick" syrup, but I'm assuming you don't have a syrup hydrometer.?

Also, You really don't even need to bring it to a boil and refilter if you keep it refrigerated. Just add some water and stir.
    2012: Probably 750 gravity taps and 50 buckets.

600 gal stainless milk tank.
    2 - 100 gallon stock tanks
    one 30 gal barrel
    50 buckets

3' x 10' Waterloo Raised Flue wood fired evaporator w/ open pans.

12" x 20" Filter Canner

Sawmill next to sugarhouse solves my sugarwood problem

Gather with GMC 3500 2wd Pickup w/ 425 gallon Plastic Tank.

Been tapping here in Lyman NH since 1989 but I've been sugaring since 8 years old in 1968.

I wouldn't use raw sap, use distilled water or at least bring the sap up to a hard boil for a few minutes. By introducing raw sap into it, you are introducing bacteria into you syrup.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Alaska (East Central Minnesota For Sugaring)

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    I wouldn't use raw sap, use distilled water or at least bring the sap up to a hard boil for a few minutes. By introducing raw sap into it, you are introducing bacteria into you syrup.
    Brandon has taught me a whole lot on this forum, but bringing your syrup to canning temperature should kill all the bacteria in raw sap. The table in the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual shows how much sap (or water) to add per gallon to bring syrup up to the proper density. I find that chart and the one to adjust for temperature to be extremely useful, and I try to remember to think twice and add once to prevent adding too much. It would be possible to repeatedly add, stir and test until the right density is reached.

I draw off syrup a little heavy, figuring it's easier to add some sap later than have to boil it more later if it's too light. I like using sap vs water because it's just that much less sap to boil away.

As others have mentioned, the way to test is with a hydrometer. Syrup thickness or even the boiling temperature can be misleading.

I draw off thick, then toss it in my freezer until bottling day, once I have 15-20 litres ready.

I put the stock pot on the propane burner, and start to heat it up. As soon as it gets warm, I stir it well to make it uniform, then I float my hydrotherm in the big pot and check the density. I add sap 2 cups at time, stirring and retesting until the density is where I want it to be, all the while continuing to bring it up to a boil. ( I don't bother with the hydrometer cup for this, as the pot is full and the hydrotherm floats in it)

Once I have the right density, I take it to a full boil for 5 mins, then pour into the filter tank and bottle right away.

This way I'm not waiting forever to boil off that last cup of water while the syrup foams over, and I filter in large batches which minimizes the filter cleaning and keeps the syrup hot longer while filling the bottles.

Just how I do it. The hydrotherm is great for this, as it is accurate from 37 -210 degrees F without any charts or calculations.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Default Can I re boil?

My first batch finished thinner than I'd like. Even though it's been refrigerated a couple days can I simply boil it again to thicken it? I don't have a hydrometer,(yet), and used temperature to finish...218.5* based on a 211.5* water boil temp. The syrup tastes great, is a light amber, but just too thin. If I can re boil, what temp should I try to hit to thicken? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast