+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 gallon buckets

Default 5 gallon buckets

Just 2nd year tappin. Got a few questions.

Wondering where most people run their drops into buckets? Thought about doing them in the top of lid next to tree, then lean the bucket forward so the water runs off the front. Don't have my 5/16" tubing yet, (should be here today or tommorow) so I'm wondering what size hole to drill for the tubing? Flow started a few days ago. Could I also go out and pre-drill my holes?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Dean Hale; 02-14-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Haynes Forest Products Guest

Pre drilling tap holes is a bad idea. First you lose the best sap to the ground and then the hole is open to air and bacteria. Drilling a hole tales 5 seconds so you dont save time.

On the buckets I drilled the holes in the top so you can lift the lid with the tubing attached and dump the sap OR carry the full bucket to the dump station replacing it with an empty one. When you get the tubing drill the hole smaller than the outside diameter of the tube. Push the tubing into the top and pull 3" or so inside. The tubing is soft and will seal the hole making it waterproof. Dont tip the bucket to keep water or snow off it can fill and fall over. Flat is what you want.

I also cut most of the OUTER lid lip off (the part that holds the lid tight to the bucket) so I could snap it on the bucket but get it off quick and easy for dumping. 3 little areas will hold it tight and wind wont blow it away.

We use 5 gal buckets with tubing. We cut the tubing to about 3' lengths then set the bucket on the gound. Put the lid on and only snap down two or 3 sides. Then slide about 6"s of tubing under the lid. We try to keep sags out of the line but if one has a dip in it do not worry the sap will get pushed into the bucket. We have found that after you put the line in turn the bucket to put some tension on the line. The lid will hold the line in the bucket. We do not have any problems with water running into our buckets. We have about 75 5 gal buckets.
    Last edited by skillet; 02-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.

Thanks guys.
    Is there an easy way to cut the tabs off the buckets, or are you using the ordinary utility knife?

Thanks.

the buckets i buy do not have tabs on them.

To make bucket lids into "easy-lids" I hand-marked 3 tabs to save (about 1-1.5" long each). Then the table saw was setup to do the "along-the-arc" cuts. I rolled the lid down onto the saw blade to cut at the marked line, then rotated it to cut up to the other marked tab location.

Then the (6) tab edges were cut on a bandsaw.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Both of these cuts have a tendency for the lid to grab which can be dangerous. For the table saw cuts, stand off to the other side of the fence so if/when a lid gets caught it does not get thrown into you. A fine toothed blade is better. Also when rolling the lid into the saw, it's a finger-remover waiting to happen if you're not careful. (yes, I still have 10 complete fingers)

Come to think of it, if you're not a table saw guy (I use my table saw extensively) then you may not want to try this.

I tried the utility knife for about 2 seconds and gave up. My wrists are trashed though, maybe it will work for you if you have fully functional wrists.

good luck...
    Scott
    2010 10 taps, turkey fryer, loads of family fun.
    2011 Made a 2x8, boiled 3500 gallons of sap.
    2012 800-ish taps, new filter press, new friends

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I use a utility knife that is a screw together so the blade stays in. I also warm the bucket lids in hot water. Its also better to use the hook type carpet blades they wont gut you like a fish

Quote Originally Posted by user587 View Post

IMPORTANT NOTE: Both of these cuts have a tendency for the lid to grab which can be dangerous. For the table saw cuts, stand off to the other side of the fence so if/when a lid gets caught it does not get thrown into you. A fine toothed blade is better. Also when rolling the lid into the saw, it's a finger-remover waiting to happen if you're not careful. (yes, I still have 10 complete fingers)

Come to think of it, if you're not a table saw guy (I use my table saw extensively) then you may not want to try this.

I tried the utility knife for about 2 seconds and gave up. My wrists are trashed though, maybe it will work for you if you have fully functional wrists.

good luck...
    I'm already down to 1 fused together finger on my left hand. Cut them off with a radial arm saw when I was a kid. Better use the knife method. lol
    Last edited by Dean Hale; 02-14-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

I drill a hole in the side of a plastic bucket with a hole saw. About a 1 1/2" hole and hang it right on a regular tap.

i drill 7/16 hole in lid and v in bucket to dump out sap no need to remove lid works well for me
    Bixby's Maple Syrup

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast