+ Reply to Thread

Thread: US Gallons / Imperial Gallons / Litres

Default US Gallons / Imperial Gallons / Litres

I was struggling a little bit with measurements. A lot of the maple syrup measuring metrics are in US gallons such as how efficient an evaporator is (gallons per hour), or how many gallons per cords of wood, reporting how much sap you collected, etc.

I wondered how much I would have to convert Imperial Gallons into US gallons for things like the Canadian Tire 5 gallon pail, or the Toronto Brewery graduated kettle.

Turns out they are all in US gallons. The Canadian Tire 5 gallon pail is 19L which is 5 US gallons. I suspect the CDL 2 gallon bucket is US gallons. My finishing pot is also in US gallons.

So no need to worry, a gallon is a gallon.
    Last edited by Swingpure; 10-11-2021 at 01:22 AM.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    Unless it isn't.

I'm sure most of us remember back in grade school and high school being told we would all be converting to the metric system within 10 yrs. That 10 yrs has gone past many times since then.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    Unless it isn't.

I'm sure most of us remember back in grade school and high school being told we would all be converting to the metric system within 10 yrs. That 10 yrs has gone past many times since then.
    Down in the south part of Arizona, there are highway speeds posted in kph so it got close.

It was just good to know all of the measuring tools are the same, so when I say I collected 50 gallons of sap, it is the same amount as when someone in Vermont does the same.

Being an older Canadian, I am bilingual in metric and the imperial system. When we golf or play football it is in yards. When it measure something with a tape measure it is in inches or feet, although at times cms or mms is handy. My fish finder is set to Fahrenheit, but the ambient temperature I read in Celsius.
    37FAF5E5-73C7-4A68-9FA6-23F1C236ABA9.jpg

I really get confused when thinking about gasoline and figuring out $US per gallon conversion to $CAN per liter.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Then you go to bulk sales of syrup and everything is in pounds. Pressure is in PSI (pounds per square inch) and vacuum is in inches Hg. Brix and % sugar. We found some old charts (1950s/1960s) and sap flow was recorded in "squiggles per inch." Nobody alive has a clue what a "squiggle" is. Maple is definitely an interesting industry.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I find the subject of measurement units fascinating. I have found a lot of interesting units, but "squiggles" is perhaps the best name yet!
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

3 squiggles equals a skuntlynn
    5th generation
    2 1/2 Buckets
    815 gravity
    2 new flat pans. Back pan now has 16 V's
    Rebuilt the block arch 3x12
    Homemade pre-heater,steamhood
    MES Dolly RO

Quote Originally Posted by Swingpure View Post
    I was struggling a little bit with measurements. A lot of the maple syrup measuring metrics are in US gallons such as how efficient an evaporator is (gallons per hour), or how many gallons per cords of wood, reporting how much sap you collected, etc.

I wondered how much I would have to convert Imperial Gallons into US gallons for things like the Canadian Tire 5 gallon pail, or the Toronto Brewery graduated kettle.

Turns out they are all in US gallons. The Canadian Tire 5 gallon pail is 19L which is 5 US gallons. I suspect the CDL 2 gallon bucket is US gallons. My finishing pot is also in US gallons.

You'll find that many measurements in the maple industry are US Gallons - tank sizes, RO flow rates, pumps etc... Stainless drums are normally 35 Imperial Gallons or just shy of 160L per drum, depending on manufacturer. The glass gallone bottles larger than 1L are actually a 1/2 USG and 1 USG. Agreed that most 5 gallon pails are 5 USG or 19L.

What's really confusing is most maple producers in Ontario when asked 'How many gallons did you make' will answer as a multiple of 4L jugs. If they made 100 Litres of syrup they'll say 25 gallons (25x 4L jugs) - if they actually tell you the truth!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread