+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1st try at Maple Candy

Default 1st try at Maple Candy

The title to this thread is a little wrong, it really isn't my 1st try but it has to do with my 2nd try.

Anyway I tried my hand at making maple candy a few weeks ago and I learned a lot. I boiled it to 34 over the Boiling Point which was 211.
    Then I let it sit to cool down till 170 then started to stir it I was only about to get a few maple leafs made before I made maple sugar!!

So I tried again this past weekend.
    This time I boiled only to 32 over the BP then I let it cool to 195 then stirred it for just a few moments then poured. I was able to get the 12 1oz maple leafs and the 20 1/3oz maple leafs poured wel before it set up in the pot.
    I added some water to the pot and made a second batch this time I let it cool a little longer down to 185 then stirred and poured.

And here is the question I have, how do you make maple candy that is somewhat soft. The second try for me went better that the 1st. The 1st go they got rock hard. The second go wasn't rock hard but they were not soft and they seem to have a large sugar crystal texture to them and they didn't have that creamy light color.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

the further you let it coolk before you start stirring, the smaller the crystals will be... I find if I let it cool below 80 degrees, then stir. it will set up in your pot your stirring in... just warm a small amount in the microwave be carefull not to warm to much, and stir a few times in the warming process... you will be able to get it liquid enough to pour in the molds.. Give it a try and let us know if it works for you...

Dennis,

I tried for the first time this year and followed the method at this link http://www.massmaple.org/candy.html and it has worked very well. The lighter color you mentioned totally depends on the color of the syrup you use. I have been using medium amber lately and the candy has been a little darker but very good. There is no good way to tell exactly when to pour into the molds except experience. In the link it says to stir until just opaque and that's the wildcard, you need good light and need to make the decision quickly. I have made many batches since the summer and have not had any candy not set up in the molds or more than just the last couple ounces stick in the pan, those are always my treats for the kids!
    5600 taps on tubing w/ vacuum, 3.5 x12 Oil Fired with pre-heater, 2 Post RO
    http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...owhillmapping/

http://snowhillfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread