+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5/16 Shurflo with a manifold

Default 5/16 Shurflo with a manifold

posted this last winter with no suggestions and looking to revisit it for next year.

I have a flat piece of woods about 50yds wide and 125yds long, probably 50-60 taps be in it. What's the best way to go about it with a 4008 Shurflo on a manifold?

Can I just run some lengths of 5/16 direct to the manifold? If so how many taps per line?

I don't have any 3/16 line or tools, but if the consensus is the best way I can look into it.

or would a 3/4 mainline line be the best way to go?

Thanks fellas.

Not knowing the layout of the property, I would suggest lines that run right to the manifold.

Shurflo pumps do not move a large volume of air, and work best when pulling mostly fluid. I don't think 50 to 60 taps merits a 3/4 mainline. 5 or 6 lines of 10 trees straight to the manifold might be best. Hard to say though without knowing locations of trees and the topography.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com | https://youtube.com/@roseummaplesyrup
    ~112 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    ~30 gallons / year

I'm about as flat as flat can be here. My main woods has around 520 taps and this little spot is 300yds away. Have couple 4008's and thought why not try and grab them.

I had seen this manifold on FB which got me thinking on this. https://www.facebook.com/share/v/3yM...ibextid=oFDknk

He was using 3/16 but I would like to use 5/16 seeing I have all the tools and fittings. Was thinking just to put everything along the edge in the middle, longest run to grab 8-10 trees I don't think would be no more that 150'. I just didn't know if 5/16 would be a option.

Should be fine using 5/16. I've built 2 vacuum setups using shurflos. I used simple push to connect fittings and couldnt be happier with how well these work on my 100+ trees. I use 3/16 and have a lot of slope. 5/16 is better for flat areas on vacuum. You can check them out on my YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...gCfLJxOGxPqh1t
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com | https://youtube.com/@roseummaplesyrup
    ~112 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    ~30 gallons / year

I run about 45 taps into a 4008 on flat ground. 6 runs of 5/16 into a manifold/star fitting. Works great.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I would do it with 5/16" into a manifold as others have suggested. No need for mainline on those few of taps and distances. You will get no additional benefit from 3/16" on flat ground. If anything, 3/16" would potentially cause more issues with plugged fittings and lines that need to be changed more frequently.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread