+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12v Releaser build

Default 12v Releaser build

After watching some youtube I have decided to build two lifters to replace 2 sap ladders that I have. The inspiration comes from a video Nate Bissell (https://youtu.be/6Q_GjDzvCRg?si=rCH4uqnpfO7rD_14) posted about a 12volt releaser. Basically it's a chamber with a float, and a pump inside. I'm good on the mechanicals, but down here in WV there aren't may old releasers to just "pick up". If they are around they command a pretty penny. That being said I thought i would go up the supply chain and see if I could source some large diameter PVC water line. The largest I have found at the moment is 12" which should be enough, but how on earth to you put the threaded ports in them? if someone could point me in the right direction of a pvc thread cutter that would be great!

Thanks!
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

You just need to borrow or buy a NPT tap and hole saw the proper size of the port that you want to use.
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

After I hit "post" I thought that might be the case, not too expensive, probably last forever just cutting pvc, lol. thanks!
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Would be cheaper to drill a hole the correct size for a slip PVC fitting to glue in. No tapping necessary. Those large NPT taps aren’t cheap.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I agree with the good Dr. I have 1.25" and 1.5" taps but I've had issues getting them to go in straight. I seem to run into the issue because I am doing it be hand and have nothing on the end of the tap to help make it go in straight. I've only ever done it on 8" PVC and I was in a hurry, so I did it by hand in the bush and didn't take the time to drive back to the shop (a 14 mile round trip plus a walk into the bush of about another 5/8 mile) I should have planned ahead, but the 4 holes I tapped, 2@ 1.25" and 2@ 1.5", didn't leak but they looked real crooked, not my best work.
    Dave Klish, I recently bought a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I am in the process of building the exact same thing. I set up a new bush last year and instead of having multiple sap ladders in various locations I ran all the lines to one location and put my electric releaser about 200’ from the collection tank at our sugar house.
    Worked great. The releaser only needs to pump the sap about 20’ up and then gravity does the rest. No slugging of sap in the lines and no backward moving sap and vacuum loss when releaser dumps.

After seeing this I have decided to change 2 of my sap ladders in other bushes to 12v lifters instead of ladders.

So far I Havnt got much done but I have most of the parts.
    I basically copied the design of my CDL horizontal electric. With a couple mods.
    I have a 16” vac booster that I had for another project with no holes drilled in it. So I too have had issues with tapping PVC pipe. So I ordered uni-seals. They work amazing. Just need to drill a nice clean hole in the pipe and muscle the pipe through it. Takes some food grade grease and maybe a rubber hammer. But it seals perfectly.
    I used uniseals on my mechanical releaser when I had a leak last season. And MES uses them on their releaser builds. Look them up. Way less work and gives a great seal.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I have a 16” vac booster that I had for another project with no holes drilled in it. So I too have had issues with tapping PVC pipe. So I ordered uni-seals. They work amazing. Just need to drill a nice clean hole in the pipe and muscle the pipe through it. Takes some food grade grease and maybe a rubber hammer. But it seals perfectly.
    I used uniseals on my mechanical releaser when I had a leak last season. And MES uses them on their releaser builds. Look them up. Way less work and gives a great seal.
    I did and they look like a great solution. Hard to believe they can hold up to pressure or vac.

Thanks for sharing that. I think I might use them for my overflows on tanks. Way easier than a bulkhead fitting. Here's an install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU99xsNyB2Q
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

I was sceptical about them when I installed it but after checking on it multiple times for leaks I was amazed. They come in all different sizes as well.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

One other tip if you ever need to get a really good leak-free joint. Use Marine Sealant rather than caulk.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread