+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas from the latest Maple Syrup Digest

Default Ideas from the latest Maple Syrup Digest

As I was reading the newest issue of the Maple Syrup Digest, dated June 2024 I adjusted my plans. In the past I've always started fixing lines on Jan 2 and started tapping as soon as the repairs were completed, along with putting up any new lines and taps. The New York report in the Digest points out that those who did the best in 2024 (and if I recall 2023) were ready to collect in mid to late December.
    At this point I'm mentally lining up my plans. I'll need to do repairs and add new laterals in Oct and Nov. Then tap in early December. The plans will need to readjust my work in the sugarhouse. In years past I generally finished the tapping and then went into the sugarhouse, first major cleanup and organization. Then to the little things that never seem to be ready in time. For 2025 I'll try to do the major cleanup and organization in the sugarhouse in Oct and Nov on days not ideal for working in the woods. Then once the tapping is finished I will need to check everything to be sure I'll be ready for the first sap flow.
    To that end, I have an SP22 bought and paid for, I'll need to get it to my location. Right now I only know it was tested and gets 27" vacuum and makes no wierd noises, The pump is almost 400 miles away now. My neighbor (who drives his own over the road rig said he will pick it up if he gets a load in the vicinity where it is, but if he doesn't get a chance by early August, I'll take a long day and go pick it up. Then I want to rewire it, the name plate says 115-230, but it's wired for 115. I will change it to 230 or in my case 240V. My sugarhouse vacuum pump circuit is already set up for 240 and I have a line going to where the pump will be placed. Then the only thing I might need is to change the breaker if the wrong size is in it. My old pump was a BB4, slightly larger than the SP22. I suspect the breaker will be good, but I'll confirm that. Then, I have a double vertical mechanical releaser and I have on hand a new seal kit for it. If a new electric releaser isn't in the cards I'll revive that one. I will need a moisture trap, unfortunately when I thought I was not going to boil any more I sold my pump, moisture trap and a nice small double horizontal releaser, now that I've decided to get back into it, I need to replace those items/
    Then I need to plan for my tanks. I still have a nice 300 gal Mueller tank, with lids and a 200 gal Icebank tank that's still good inside but is rough and dented on the outside. I also have a outer tank from another icebank tank that I used in my largest lease for sap collection in years past. It has a capicity of a calculated 850 gal. I might use that for permeate. It wears multiple covers that cover all but about the last 2 foot at one end. That's where I had a shelf support and my double releaser in the past. I made the existing covers, each is full width of the tank and each interlocks with the next cover, like a standing rib roof. All I'd need to complete one last such cover. The only other issue is that it has no valve outlet, when I used it I pumped sap over the top, I can do that again, or I may study adding a drain valve in 1 or maybe 1.5", that's all it would need. It does have 1 bottom drain but it's only 1/2" copper and I never used it, I plugged it off.
    My plans on taps right now are all over the place, from a minimum of 200 to 425 max unless I talk with my neighbor. Over 40 yrs ago her dad (now deceased) planted 2 or 3 rows of maple trees ( all sugar or reds), one being about 1' on their side of the property line and the next is about 15' farther in, and I think there may be a third row past that, I've never looked that close, I've just noticed them as I mow the field on my side. She also has a horse, and I let her (actually I prefer) dump the horse manure/bedding on my land. I then turn it a few times and once ready my wife uses the compost. If I decide this next year or the following, I might tap those trees. Most if not all are big enough for 1 tap. I think there are at least 20 maybe 25 trees in each row, and in the first row all survived, I think one or 2 in the next row died. The trees are about 20' apart in the rows.
    If that part ever happens it won't likely be for 2025. For my 200-425 I still have most of the mains and they are in good shape. I think all laterals need to be replaced as do all drops. Before I temporally retired from maple I used to change all drops every 3rd or 4th year. All of this will be a lot of work for one old man, still with a bad hip.
    Being borderline diabetic I hesitate to get my hip replaced only because I heal so poorly because of being borderline diabetic.
    For those who know about blood sugar levels, my 6 mo tests come back at 105-112, with an A1C of 5.8-6.2. Not bad, but when I had to have 3 surgeries in 2022 my healing suffered to say the least.
    I guess I've rambled on long enough, but I will start earlier prepping for 2025 than in any year in the past.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

dave, i was wondering with all you have going on if you will be trying any of maple valley's new arc spouts and their arc-tees this year ?

I didn't orderyet, I only requested a price quote for seasonal spouts. I'll look at the performance reports for the arc taps and tees before I place an order. If it looks promissing I may try them. Looking at their web site I don't see 5/16 tees for 3/16 laterals. I like the 5/16 drop and tap because of the trees pull back into the tree during a freeze, but I like the 3/16 laterals.
    I sent a message to maple valley asking if they have the 3/16 x 5/16 arc tee, I'll await the answer. If the don't or don't yet, I could use the 5/16 tee and then convert to 3/16 using a connector, but that would require 2 connectors for each tap. Mot very practical.
    Last edited by maple flats; 06-30-2024 at 10:49 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Why couldn't you just use a regular 3/16-5/16 T and the 5/16 arc taps. That is what I did on some of my lines last year and it worked fine.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

While I've never yet used arc spouts, I did until my temporary retirement from tapping run several laterals in 3/16 with 5/16 drops and tees running the sap into the lateral. My thought was that if an arc spout and arc tee are better in 5/16, why not in 3/16x3/16x5/16 tees? I do however realize that the 3/16 crowd is certainly smaller than the 5/16 crowd.
    While 3/16 does present challenges, those who successfully adress those challenges do enjoy good production.

hopefully it will be good to hear what they say about the 3/5x 3/16 x 5/16 for some of us using them on our gravity lines.

Dave i think you may have misunderstood my message about using the arc spouts. My lines are all 3/16, and like you, I run 5/16 drops down to the 3/16 lines. That is why I just used regular T's.
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out

I am with you on getting ready early!!! Regarding prepping for the 2025 season, I have a week off in November and anything that hasn't gotten prepped for the season by that point will get done. The last 2 years i have tapped earlier than ever and still likely missed some early runs. i want to have all my vacuum issues worked out before I drill any holes. I'm getting excited just typing about it!
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

Quote Originally Posted by Pdiamond View Post
    Dave i think you may have misunderstood my message about using the arc spouts. My lines are all 3/16, and like you, I run 5/16 drops down to the 3/16 lines. That is why I just used regular T's.
    I got a message back about arc spouts, that i thought you and others might be interested in. I was told they are not in the toolin process and they plan to have the tees and dead end tees for 3/16x3/16/x5/16 ready in 6-8 weeks.
    I'll wait. Since the initial question asking if I had used the arc spouts I read a report in The Maple Digest, results from a few years testing by Proctor and Dr Tim. They looked good, thus I plan to hold off on my spout and tee purcase. Since I'm not sure what my total tap count will be i'm thinking I might order 400 of each, and maybe 30 dead end tees. I may not use the arc after year 1 on the spouts, but if my health holds I will have 400 or more by next 2026.
    I still like the check valve taps on drops over a season old, and unless Leader makes a deal with arc that combination may not ever happen, we'll see.
    If arc proves to be better however, I'd stay with the arc tee and dead end tee.
    It was great that I even got a reply from arc. It seems like only too often manufacturers don't bother to send a response unless you are talking a very large purchase. In my question to them, I only suggested 200 taps to start and even a small sale like that got a response. That makes me like the company already.

That is great that they responded about the tees. Now I wish I had waited, but I am already set for the next couple of seasons.
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out

+ Reply to Thread