+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History of the evaporator

Correct I have both of The books that Hale has out.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Brian- It's a shame the historical society wouldn't take the arch front. But I'm glad you got it back and are displaying it! I enjoy showing folks the antique equipment. I have about thirty old wooden and tin sap pails, over twenty old syrup tins and bottles and a wooden gathering tank on a horse drawn sled on display in the sugarhouse. I also have incorporated a bucket, some of the duplicate tins and some spiles into my retail show display. They often are a great conversation starter and it eventually leads to a sale!

And both of Hale's book are great. I've learned a lot about some of the artifacts I have through those books.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

The antique pan I have is a 3x5 english tin pan, I looks like it was made for maybe 1.5-2" deep, the overall depth is only about 6". I got it when I bought a whole batch of old equipment from a producer who had quit making syrup after just 1 season. He would only sell it as a whole lot. I got a few SS pans, a bunch of metal taps, some new tubing in 5/16" and a bunch of new jugs. Also 2 hydrometers for syrup and one for sap, I still use the sap one and both syrup hydrometers, at least I did until I got a Murphy Cup and SL's top of the line hydrometer (it has a red line in the glass tube which is to remain lined up with a red line on the insert paper scale to verify the paper has not moved. On the whole lot, I paid $200 and in 2006 I felt it was a good deal. That evaporator pan has only been a display piece, but it sure draws lots of attention. The V groove flues are maybe 2" deep, it's a drop flue pan.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Slightly ancillary question just out of curiosity... is anything known about how gradient/ continuous flow boiling came to be and when?
    We take it for granted now but it does still kind of explode my brain if I try to think about how and why it works, and even more so that someone long ago figured it out.
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

In answer to the question when the first continuous flow pans were introduced, I would say the earliest we have evidence for is the late 1850s with the introduction of Cooks Patent Evaporator.

Heree are links to a couple of articles I have written about the history of the Cooks patent evaporator -

https://maplesyruphistory.com/2019/0...nt-evaporator/
    https://maplesyruphistory.com/wp-con...o-1-p27-31.pdf

Matt Thomas
    www.maplesyruphistory.com

Someplace in the above maple time line there should be a note. Sometime around the founding of the United States it was promoted and somehow partially financed as farmers were paid to plant maples along the side of the roads, I think that's why in many places along country roads you see very mature sugar maples spaced about 20-25' apart. I have no idea how much they were paid, but the plan added a lot of maple trees where they were easy to get to , tap and collect the sap from. I suspect where you now see rows of very large maples roadside is from back then.
    Along the road where I had a lease for several years there were 4 or 5 of those maples still standing back in 2008-2012, they have now been removed because they were in very poor condition and I suspect the county thought they would fall across the road at some point. They were about 4-5' or more in diameter.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12