+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Syrup produced by steam boiling

Default Syrup produced by steam boiling

When watching videos on line it appears that the steam boiling evaporators produce on average very light syrup, mostly all golden delicate? I was told recently that if you further process it, example let say you bought a barrel to make maple candy, when heating to candy making temperature the syrup will darken up? Anyone experiencing that or is that just a rumor to keep producers from going to steam evaporation?
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

All syrup slightly darkens every time you reheat it.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

There is an interesting video where the producer uses custom steam kettles to produce syrup, through process control they are able to make syrup with the desired light transmittance and the correct brix, just set it and out comes the desired product.

Here is a link to the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu2eRBz_So4

I think the part relevant to this conversation begins at around 14:50 mark
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

That's correct, reheating any syrup makes it darker, the longer you take to reach the desired temperature the darker it gets.
    That's why I try to store syrup in barrels that are at the lighter end of any grade, so that as it's reheated to pack it I'll still have the grade I want. I made a mistake once regarding that, (I put a batch of 68% light transmission [LT]syrup in my water jacketed bottler and bottled some, it came out as 57% LT but I still had about 6 gal left in the bottler, and I had to leave. I failed to shgut off the WJ bottler,. I returned the next day, checked density and added a little distilled water to get it to the density I wanted (66.9%) and I checked the grade, it was in the low 40's LT, I hads made about 6 gal of Amber into Dark by that mistake.)
    Since that time , when I open a barrel to repack, I do re filter it, where as I used to heat it to 190-200 in my finisher, I now only heat it to 170, then I filter it into the WJ bottler. Once there I heat it to 185+/- 2 degrees F retest density and grade and bottle it, if I ever need to leave, with syrup still in the bottler I shut it off. When I return to finish bottling I still need to verify density and grade and it always needs some distilled water and it's a little darker, but doing it this way i only get a slight decrease it LT and I'm still in the grade I wanted.
    If you want to learn more about this or anything maple related, buy a copy of The North American Maple Producer's Manual or to get it free, download it. It's available at no charge, only the print version costs you.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

That's correct, reheating any syrup makes it darker, the longer you take to reach the desired temperature the darker it gets.
    That's why I try to store syrup in barrels that are at the lighter end of any grade, so that as it's reheated to pack it I'll still have the grade I want. I made a mistake once regarding that, (I put a batch of 68% light transmission [LT]syrup in my water jacketed bottler and bottled some, it came out as 57% LT but I still had about 6 gal left in the bottler, and I had to leave. I failed to shgut off the WJ bottler,. I returned the next day, checked density and added a little distilled water to get it to the density I wanted (66.9%) and I checked the grade, it was in the low 40's LT, I hads made about 6 gal of Amber into Dark by that mistake.)
    Since that time , when I open a barrel to repack, I do re filter it, where as I used to heat it to 190-200 in my finisher, I now only heat it to 170, then I filter it into the WJ bottler. Once there I heat it to 185+/- 2 degrees F retest density and grade and bottle it, if I ever need to leave, with syrup still in the bottler I shut it off. When I return to finish bottling I still need to verify density and grade and it always needs some distilled water and it's a little darker, but doing it this way i only get a slight decrease it LT and I'm still in the grade I wanted.
    If you want to learn more about this or anything maple related, buy a copy of The North American Maple Producer's Manual or to get it free, download it. It's available at no charge, only the print version costs you.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread