+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from southern quebec. Questions on planting :)

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    You say some areas are wet, those areas might be best planted to silver maples, but if 2' or more above where there is normally standing water after a heavy rain, or in the spring reds usually do well. Any sugars should be only on the driest, best drained areas.
    I my bush, which is all natural growth, planted by nature, I have some silvers in the wettest spots, often on little knolls, then higher up, that 2' roughly, the reds start and about half of my maples are reds, then on the highest spots is where my sugar maples are, at maybe 4' or more above typically where standing water might be, and the 4' is pushing it, most sugars are at 8' or more above the wetter areas. I however don't as such have any hills (thus I'm known as maple flats.) I haven't gotten exact elevation readings, but my guess is that my highest portion of my bush is between 8-10' higher than the wettest. That's all in a 15 acre area.
    When a forester helped me make up a forest stewardship plan he labeled my land as undulating lake bottom. After the last ice age what is now Oneida Lake (the thumb of the finger lakes in NYS) which is about 6 miles from my land to the north west. Apparently back then Oneida lake was several times larger until erosion formed the creeks and rivers to carry the water to Lake Ontario. My land was near the shoreline. My home is another 2 miles as the crow flies to the south west, and it was likely where the shoreline was. Just 50' from our home the hills climb a few hundred feet, at a 15-20% incline. My home isw about 12' higher than the median elevation of my sugarhouse property.
    I noticed today beside the stream on one side of the house out about 100 feet it is really swampy and there is a red maple with about 6 trunks growing. Each trunk probably 8 inchs across and id say it must be 40 feet high.

Visiting my sister yesterday they have a big sugar maple that is close to a power line and sadly rotten that they are having take down. To my suprise there is atleast 50 or more 2-4 ft saplings all around. So looks like i will take a stab at transplanting them to my driest spots. Id love to wait till fall to move them while dorment but the tree service guy is coming within a couple weeks. And they would all die anyway.

From what i read duting a transplant no fertilizer (manure/lime) untill year two?

I have one property line that a neighbor planted in reds and sugars back about 1978-1984. Most of those trees are now tapable, the soil was fairly furtle but I don't think they ever fertilized those trees. Most are from 10"-15" now at 4' off the ground.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12