+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone using the smokey lake vacuum filter applicator system?

Default Anyone using the smokey lake vacuum filter applicator system?

I have a Smokey lake 16x16 steam bottler already and just noticed they make a vacuum filter attachment. I was wondering if anyone has used it and what do they think about it?

I've been thinking of switching to a vacuum filter for my 150 tap operation. Didn't know if it is simpler than a filter press for a small operation. If you use one do you use DE or just the filter with pre-filters. Thanks for any info.

Below is the link:

https://www.smokylakemaple.com/produ...ut-filter-set/
    2019 50 aluminum buckets, selling sap. First year 19.7 gallons of syrup
    2020 130 on 3/16 tubing and 30 on aluminum buckets

I cant comment on the smokey lake product however I will say that the vacuum filter that I have works well. I have the CDL 9 inch and I think that the large surface area of the smokey lake attachment would do very well. The DE is a must in my opinion with the filter and prefilters that will get you the 'polished' look.

I will let someone else comment on the smokey lake product if they have one but I would think that at your size having the bottler already you would be happy with adding the filter.

Although I would get an r/o before I got anything else

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

Thanks for the response LMP maple. How many gallons of syrup to do put through the CDL 9 inch vacuum filter and how many prefilters do you go through? Do you use about 1 cup of DE per gallon?

My process now is to run about a gallon through then change out the pre filter. I only use one pre filter. I am drawing about a half gallon per draw so this works well for me. Some guys will double up on the prefilters and cut them so u do not have to break down the machine to change. It works well for me to just take out the pre filter and swap it out. The pre filters clean up nice with just hot water at the end of the night.
    With the surface area on the Smokey lake I think u might get a whole nights syrup through it or I would not be surprised. They don’t make junk over there and a lot of thought goes into their stuff in my opinion.
    Yep about a cup per gallon of the de. Experiment a bit with that but that’s where I landed. DE is cheap.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

I would have doubts about how well the Smokey Lake vacuum adapter on one of their canners would work compared to the CDL vacuum filter. I own a 12” CDL filter that was one of the first ones in the USA. It is built very rugged with thick steel to withstand vacuum. It works well. I also have a Smokey Lake filter/canner with the steam pan underneath that I used for a couple of years filtering syrup before I bought the CDL unit. The Smokey Lake filter is made of thin stainless that flexes easily with movement and heat expansion. I am not sure how well it will withstand vacuum. Just some observations for you to consider before buying.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I have the the Smokey Vac canner. Used it for the first time this weekend had 2.5 gallons from last weekend, warmed it up to 190 and poured it in. I was blown away. Worked far better than I expected. Left that vac on for about 1 minute and it practically sucked that filter dry. Packed in glass for my first time ever, crystal clear. Filter was packed though. My 18x48 Vision evaporator usually does 1/2 gallon draws. Ran 1.5 gallons through it right off the evaporator (my preferred method) and was slick. I’d say 2.5 is the max on 1 filter, given all the sand in Southern NH this year. I would totally buy it if you can. Shipped super quick too. I run a stainless craftsman 4 hp 5 gallon vac from Lowe’s that I got on sale for $60.
    Hillcrest Maples
    2024- 200 on Guzzler, new home built 2 post, SL vac filter
    2023-100 on Shurflo, new 2 Post 4x40 RO Bucket
    2022- 150 on Shurflo, new 16x36 Sugar House and 18x48 Vision, Dual RB 25's RO's
    2021- 150 on Shurflo, home made arch under 18x40 cdl pan, RB 20 RO
    2020- 99 On Shurflo home made arch under 18x40 cdl pan
    2019- 10 buckets, steam pan on grill
    2018- 5 spiles into milk jugs, stove top, caught the maple bug hard.

Glad to hear the smoky lake system works well, I am switching to their system this year from the CDL 9” unit. Never had a problem with the CDL unit, but bought the smoky lake canner this off season and figured an all in one solution would be more efficient. Haven’t gotten rid of the CDL unit yet though, just in case.
    2X4 Mason XL
    4x40 RO Bucket kit
    338 on shurflows and 30 buckets

Thanks for the info, keep us updated on how you guys are liking the unit. I'm definitely thinking of buying it later this year. If anyone else has the unit let us know what you find is the best way to run it.

+ Reply to Thread