+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taps Not Pulled from Last Year

Default Taps Not Pulled from Last Year

So, at the end of the 2023 season, I injured an ankle pretty severely, and never got back out in the woods to pull the last of my taps out. So I've got may 10-12 trees that still have the taps in them.

My question is can I tap these trees without any problem? (the taps are 5/16" check valve spouts). I run a sap puller on them. Do I pull them out now and just tap another spot like normal? Will pulling them screw up the vacuum, or have they healed over enough even without the taps pulled? Of just leave them in and tap like normal then pull them all out at the end of the season?

Gary
    2023 - 25 taps on a Shurflo 4048 sap puller, 15 buckets, cinder block arch with 3 steam table pans.

Quote Originally Posted by vtgaryw View Post
    So, at the end of the 2023 season, I injured an ankle pretty severely, and never got back out in the woods to pull the last of my taps out. So I've got may 10-12 trees that still have the taps in them.

My question is can I tap these trees without any problem? (the taps are 5/16" check valve spouts). I run a sap puller on them. Do I pull them out now and just tap another spot like normal? Will pulling them screw up the vacuum, or have they healed over enough even without the taps pulled? Of just leave them in and tap like normal then pull them all out at the end of the season?

Gary

You may find that your spouts are plugged with bacteria. I missed taking out one tap and the spout was full of bacteria.
    2022 - 5 pan block arch - 109 taps, 73 on 3/16 lines, 36 on drops into 5 gallon pails.
    930 gallons boiled, 109 L (28.8 gals) of delicious syrup made.
    DYI Vacuum Filter
    2023 - 170 taps, mostly on lines, 1153 gallons boiled, 130 L (34.34 gals) of delicious syrup made, on a 2x4 divided pan and base stack, 8” pipe, on a block arch that boiled at a rate of 13 gallons per hour.
    2024 - made 48 L, December to March, primarily over two fire bowls.

I believe the recommendation would be to pull them, cut off and replace spiles, and possibly drops. You could tap again this year depending on size of the tree, or cap them for the season and tap next year.

If you are worried about loss of vacuum, clamp the line while you do the work. You can use vacuum tube clamps (like what's used in automotive industry) or something home made. I use small vice grips with a pvc pipe I split in half on each side of the jaws to create a nice smooth/round surface to clamp the line.

Like this---> )|(
    Last edited by DRoseum; 02-12-2024 at 03:50 PM.
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

It happens, if a spout don't get pulled and is a stubby pull it, place the new spout in tree and install the same old stubby and continue on.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

+ Reply to Thread